Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SOS--- gel stain all blotchy

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 15:47

I finally got around putting Great Finishes gel stain Java on my oak bathroom vanity. The side is the plasticy kind of melamine. After sanding and putting the gel on with a sock, it's all blotchy and stripy. Do I just wait for it to dry and add several more coats, or do I remove it and go with a regular paint? It feels like the gel is just sitting on the surface. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SOS--- gel stain all blotchy

You are putting gel stain on melamine?? It won't work as you have found....wipe it off and maybe paint will stick.

o

I don't know whether it's melamine, laminate, or foil. They are builder grade oak cabinets, solid frames and doors, and smooth, "fake" oak on the sides.

o

Like lindac said: "It won't work as you have found....wipe it off and maybe paint will stick."

Key word there being PAINT.

o

Dont forget to use a bonding primer or the paint wont stick well either. Good Luck

o

Good bonding primer is crucial. Then paint.

o

Definitely prime, but it doesn't need to be oil base.*DO* allow to dry at least 48 hrs. before applying the paint. I wouldn't suggest using the two-in-one primer/paint.

o

I primed first, then used it on the plasticy ends. Why not wait until it is very very dry, touch with your fingernail and make sure not tacky. Then do another coat. See what happens. If it still looks bad, then do the primer.

It takes a long time to dry. Don't be surprised if you wait a week. I know, what a pain. But it's worth it.

Bee

o

Actually, not all is lost. It seems that it's drying and looks not as bad as initially, so thanks so much for the encouragement, Bee :)
Did you wait ONE week before you did the second coat, or altogether? Also, did you use a clear top coat?

o

I did my projects during the heat of the humid summers. And yes, at least a week. Ugh. The GF gel stain--yes to the top coat. The Old Master gel stain--nope. It had a shine to it, and the timing was so tight with listing the house that there was no time to do the top coat. That was our dresser. I think the realtor was taking photos about an hour after we put it in our room. And it is still in good condition, even after the move.

o

Well, I'll see what happens. If it fails, I'll sand/strip it off, prime and use paint or gel.

o

I know that gel stains are used on fiberglass doors, so maybe it will be okay on the melamine/laminate?

o

Quick update: After the second coat it looks a lot better and can't be wiped off. Bee, what did you use as a top coat?

o

Not being a smart a$$, but the General Finishes Top Coat. :)

really.

I think the satin finish.

o

How does gel stain work on non wood surfaces, what is there to "stain" (as in have grain show through) does it just work like paint, then?

o

To follow-up. So far, so good. I'm happy with how the bathroom cabinet looks. I put a poly top coat on, and as of now, nothing has come off. On the non-wood surface (the fake wood one), it looks kind of like paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here