Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourhappy

leather recliner

fourhappy
9 years ago

I need help finding a leather recliner that will fit my aesthetic. my husband desperately wants a leather recliner. I think they are so ugly and doesn't really fit with my design style. I think if they are going to be comfortable for seating they look like the michelin man, but if they are more like a club chair or a bit more modern looking they look stiff and don't look like they recline much. We have 3 (4th on the way) kids and they ruin everything so I don't want to spend a ton of $ either. We are currently in the beginning stages of a big remodel of our house. the kitchen and family room are open to each other so this chair will sort of back to the kitchen from the family room side and so i'm concerned with getting something that looks nice and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb after this full renovation. My style is a big more modern - not contemporary (like transitional I suppose). We are redoing the ever popular white cabinet kitchen with dark countertops on the perimeter and light white ish on the island (maye a dark gray island not sure). and btwn the kitchen and family room is a breakfast area that will have a table (looking for a natural wood rustic like farm table).

Comments (21)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I just checked out Overstock.com for leather recliners out of curiosity and think that you should, too. All kinds of different styles and prices....you should get plenty of ideas.

I am in total agreement with you about the typical appearance of recliners in general and leather, in particular, lol. Very unappealing to me, as well.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Don't like, won't buy leather.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Ah, those men and their recliners!

Years ago, I came across one in a surplus store here in Maine, and am kicking myself that I didn't buy it because I'd like to replace a chair and ottoman in our guest/tv room. They don't fit my aesthetic, either, but this one was smaller, had inoffensive lines, and very good quality leather ..I came home and googled the maker. I'm wracking my brain to remember the brand...I think they were exclusively a leather furniture maker. If I think of it, I'll post it.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

When you say "they look stiff and don't look like they recline much", I'm not sure if you're complaining about the look or if you're reaching a conclusion about how they feel and work without actually trying one out.

We got the model in the link below, but in fabric instead of leather because that was our preference. But we tried out the leather in the store, we found it comfortable, and certainly reclines all the way. It's not the overstuffed look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brittain leather recliner

This post was edited by GaryFx on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 18:45

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have a recycled Nuvoleather that looks like fabric by Flexsteel. It is a power (motorized) recliner with high leg rest. It is more attractive than many leather recliners. It was not very expensive but it was not very cheap either. I got it on sale, however.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I was just googling them and boy, I really don't like the look of recliners. BUT they are wonderfully comfy for naps and watching TV, so what can you do...I could live with one in my TV room. I always feel bad that my dad has to go reclinerless when he comes to visit.

My inlaws have two wingback style leather recliners which are very comfortable....but they were expensive and too traditional looking (for me)

• homepro01
    9 years ago

The flight recliner from Design within reach. It is made by American Leather. The leather is butter soft and it looks like a regular chair. I would buy it from the Design within Reach outlet on eBay or in New Jersey. It also comes in fabric or ultra suede.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: DWR flight recliner

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Forgot about the Room and Board Harper. Also comes in fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board Harper

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The only recliner I would consider is the kind that is sort of like a chesterfield design with tufted back and looks like a normal club chair in the upright and locked mode. I don't have a recliner because that model is so damned expensive!
    Casey

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.flexsteel.com/assets/2012/12/10/2012reclinerbrochurelr.pdf

You should be able to find any style at Flexsteel. I think mine is the equestrian but cannot recall. Flexsteel is the leader in seating and recliners at this present time. I hope you find something attractive and pragmatic.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I like the room and board one, except for the price. But if you had a tall husband, wouldn't his feet dangle off that? That seems to be more of a problem on the modern, clean line models. That foot rest just doesn't extend far.

• Zoe52
    9 years ago

My husband and I had a difficult time finding just the right recliners for the sitting room our new home. Although these are pricey they are probably the most comfortable recliners I have ever been in. They retail for 3K and I will probably have to wait to buy our two when we can come up with the cash after we spend all our wad on building. But after trying them out we can wait to buy a couple of Chloe automatic recliners.

Oh and you can purchase them in three different sizes to fit your body size and/or the scale of the room.

If anyone is interested in buying they are currently on sale until Nov. 1st.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Leather

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 14:10

• fourhappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think i may have found one that might work. He also told me he not only wanted a leather recliner...but a rocker recliner. Pain in the neck he is :)
    I did find this one from JCPenney...it actually doesn't look bad and it comes with all the different options rocking, swiveling, reclining and all of the above together...so I might check this out. A little more than I would like to spend with little kids all over the furniture but I can't seem to find anything we can agree on and it's literally right in the middle of our home as our family room opens right to the kitchen so it's not like it's stuck in a basement or a private family room so it's important to me that it looks good...
    The only issue is that I don't know if they have this specfic chair in stores to try out. I hate to spend so much $ on a chair that is custom and not be able to test it out...
    This one comes in fabric, leather or fake leather...

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenney chair

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Just fyi, I bought a faux leather mission style chair and ottoman from JCPs appx. 6yrs. ago on sale for around $400 and the material has worn terribly i.e. bald spots in the creases and on edges where your legs tend to lay,one side of back cushion, material on the ottoman scratched easily too. Seems it started to implode all at once. Right now it looks awful and I'm ready to replace the chair. Maybe for faux leather and $400, six years isn't too bad tho.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Found this at our local furniture store recently. I think it looks quite good for a recliner.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Too bad you don't live in Maryland. A friend is looking to sell one of these zero gravity perfect chairs:

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

We just bought two recliners, one is a Motioncraft with Sherrill Fabric and the other one is by Taylor King in leather. They are both a transitional style. It's a type of wingback that looks modern. The style number is 2510 on the Motioncraft and the Taylor King is their new Rowan model that looks almost just like it. Taylor King has a beautiful online catalog but you cannot order online. I strongly recommend sitting in a chair before buying it. I had the hardest time finding comfortable recliners that looked halfway appealing to me. I do like these. We have the Motioncraft but it will take a few weeks to get the Taylor King. They are very comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taylor King

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Here is the link for Motioncraft below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Motioncraft Recliner in leather

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Look at Hancock and Moore Austin high back tilt chair with ottoman. We have had one for many years and it still looks great and is comfortable. You can get many grades/colors of leather. I felt the same way about recliners till we found this one.

• three3apples
    9 years ago

Hancock and Moore are great and we all love our Bradungton and Young wingback leather recliner that is a lot dressier than most and passes for a regular chair when upright.