Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

before/after curb chairs thank you my3dogs!

trailrunner
9 years ago

Love chairs too:) I just got mine back from the upholsterer yesterday. I found the first one a LONG time ago on the curb across the street from my driveway. I cleaned it up and it was part of the art in my DR for years. I never intended to ever upholster it.

Years passed and then this past Spring I found his cousin nailed to the wall in a small shop up the street. Well I couldn't resist it. Michelle said I could have it as she had no plans for fixing it up.

You can see why I couldn't resist :) She is on the right and he , my original, is on the left.

My3dogs helped me find fabric. This is the "leather" she used on one of her chairs. The price was right...$4.99 a yard ! My upholsterer is an artist. He is a fine and talented young man. He did the most amazing job on my chairs. He took them apart and completely re-glued the frames. He then re-tied the springs. Layers of burlap/webbing/foam/padding..who knows what else ?? Those of you who upholster will know. They are fantastic now. The gate leg is where we spend the winter hours..in front of the fire. We eat dinner here and have our coffee many mornings. Our first chilly Fall morning will be Sunday...I can hardly wait.

I took some pics with and without flash. The without is the true color of the fabric. Details are better with the flash. Love the way he did the nails. I have no plans for the wood at present..perhaps wax or oil..haven't decided. For now my art has become something to use and yet the visual treat of knowing what is inside is still there.

Comments (41)

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

They are beautiful!!!

• jjam
    9 years ago

Oh, my. Those are stunning! So is your rug, BTW

• bpath
    9 years ago

Bring on the winter! What a charming, old-world spot to spend the hours. Now you just need a spaniel to complete the vignette :)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

They are perfect. I want to be in the old chair club too! I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

They look fantastic!!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

He did a fabulous job!

• Irish2
    9 years ago

Be still my heart, Trailrunner! LOVE the chairs ....perfect leather choice.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Handsome pair of chairs!!! Great leather choice! :)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

they look awesome dressed!! :) such a warm and inviting room!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are great ! After reading the other thread I have to laugh at how we all convince ourselves we need more chairs !

Thank you acadia !

Thank you jjam...it is an Indian rug that my Mom picked out for me in 2003.

hahabp...no pets ! Gave Meatball the cat back to my DD so we are petless. Love the idea of Old World. I got the idea of the Oriental rugs on the table when we lived in the Netherlands. They do it in the pubs. Thank you !!

Thank you Magdalena...I swear I am not looking at the curb anymore...and we have no Craigslist to speak of here so I think I am safe !

Thank you nancy!

Errant he certainly did. 56 hrs of labor for both. He apprenticed at 16 to a couple who had a shop. He started out sweeping the floor and worked up to holding things for them and then taking things apart as prep work. He is now 40 and is constantly doing more and learning more. You should see his shop. Thank you !

irish...it is " leather" has a backing of some synthetic..not sure what it is but it sure feels like leather :) Thank you !

Thank you teacats..but it is synthetic as I told irish..they are SO comfortable !!

thank you busybee...this is the room that we put the brown velvet portieres up in the doorways so it is indeed very cozy.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

What a beautiful room.

I love what you decided to do with those chairs. I'm not an expert but would do nothing to the finish, either, except maybe feed it so that it doesn't dry out anymore. The patina is wonderful.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

They look great,

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

They are perfection!!!! Love that the frames aren't all polished up, and they are wonderful with the fabric. I love the nail head pattern, too!

And that faux leather is sold as 'micro suede' on the Barn Fabric website. I found that it is also used in retail upholstery, and is called 'Palance Pueblo'. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palance Pueblo Furniture

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, Trail, I can just see you sitting there this weekend! However, I think I will retreat to my fantasy world and picture myself in those marvelous chairs while I peruse our local CL which never has anything so wonderful.

Happy sitting!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Trailrunner, I LOVE them. I love furniture with character which is why I have more antique and consignment shop furniture than new. Your chairs are just so wonderful and your table is a stunner. Now I think I must have a gate leg table. I feel a downstairs redecorating project coming on.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Great job with the chairs, they look fantastic! Are they as comfortable as they look?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Very cool chairs! You'll get a lot of use out of those and I love your cozy fireside set up.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alex..that is my thinking also. I have some beeswax base wood food. Thank you !! I definitely have a Wabi Sabi house :)

Thank you eandhl !!

Hey m3d ! Thank you so much for all your help...you have been so great. I never could have done this without your guidance on fabric. I am so glad you posted that link !! 100 % polyester...I can tell those that are interested that if they purchase it from Gary they will be getting 1st class service and quality. He is fast and great prices and so helpful. No one would ever guess this isn't leather. Thank you again,,,I will post the front porch cushions that he did later this week and he has one more chair he is doing for me .

cyn , thank you ! Believe me if I had to rely on Craigslist in our little town I would be bereft of furniture...give me the curb finds any day :) I am sitting here now with my old re-wired lamp on and the crickets chirping outside the window...I love my room ! I hope you find something good !!

Thank you Holly ! I appreciate all the generous and kind comments. I got the gate leg in Chapel Hill in 1975 ! We had no money and needed a place to eat dinner. It was so inexpensive and all we could afford. I do love my table. Unfortunately a mover broke one of the cross pieces during a move in 1979 and it was mended badly. I guess it adds character ! My house also is almost all finds and antiques or homemade. Wabi Sabi is the way to go. Imperfect perfection :) c

Here is a link that might be useful: palance pueblo

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Missed your posts as we were posting at the same time . Yes they are very comfortable. They fit each of us perfectly...DH has his "big" chair and mine is a smaller profile. i am only 5'2" so it is perfect. Thank you sochi !!

thank you dlm...we have already been in them a LOT in 2 days LOL. I foresee a lot of use this winter as we plan our next bike ride :) c

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I love them, love the stories behind them, and always enjoy seeing pictures of your glorious home. (And always wishing I could see more!)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

He did an absolutely fantastic job! Love them.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Love them! Don't do a thing more to them, except a little wax.

Is that the leather still available?

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

trailrunner - what a pleasure to see! Now I have two reasons to make a roadtrip to see you - DS's latest restaurant and a wonderful upholsterer! May Sunday be extra chilly and cozy... I smile to think of how comfortable you will be.

Did you ever make the trip to NC for a Velo Girl ride? My brother and father have spent this past year on many of their rides, including the Mountains of Misery - 102 miles, 13,000 feet. Picture Iron-man after Iron-woman dismounting from their bikes, overpowered by the elevation.... My brother made it an hour before the gates were closed (she says proudly!).

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Woo hoo! Those are gorgeous! Glad to see they are done!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with those, they can be used just about anywhere and for anything. Very nice. I also really like pieces that match without matching per se...

• rockybird
    9 years ago

They look great! Really nice job he/she did on them! The leather is perfect choice.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

You always find such great stuff! Whether usable as is, or needing some tender loving care, it always looks terrific!!!!

Hope you and R enjoy them, for many years to come! ðÂÂÂ

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anele what a sweet thing to say. Thank you . I so rarely do anything new to the house anymore that there isn't anything " good " to show :) Glad you like them and sorry you didn't get your chairs..they were very cool.

tina...he did and he always does. Very dedicated young man. Thank you !

nhb..thank you ! I linked above at the bottom of my post to the site that m3d sent me to. It says they have 10 yrds ....he has regular sales and everything is $4.99 a yrd. You might want to contact him and ask when the next sale will be. He gets more of the fabric all the time too and all you do it let him know you need more. It isn't leather...it is 100% polyester..but you would never ever guess !

hey old bat and thank you !! But DS's new place is back in Lexington VA ! Not here...he was only here 1 yr and then was offered the new place back in Lex...so it isn't true that you can't go back...he did and is loving it. But we are still here and you are welcome anytime ! No we never made it up there. I had to look up that event..whoa...glad he made it. Sounds like the last 4 miles was tough ! DH and I spent 45 days riding from Vienna Austria to Nantes France this Summer and then we went to the Netherlands and rode for 2 1/2 weeks...we got in 2000 miles !! We had some good climbs in our 45 days...we ride fully loaded, so when we got to the steep grades it was definitely a challenge.

Oh Bee...I am SO glad you saw this...I enjoyed your pics of your customer's chairs and my guy did the same kind of restoration in the guts of these. THANK YOU !! for the pics and the info you sent. There was NO way I was going to do them ;) I am glad you like them. They definitely are one of a kind ..LOL .

Mnt...thank you ! I took like the match/don't match. I was hoping it would look good and it does..thank goodness. You are right they would look good in lots of settings. May give them a whirl as his/her at the ends of the DR table in the Spring...we shall see.

thank you rocky...you have such a splendid home and eye for design so I really appreciate your comments. He did do a great job...for fake it looks and feels wonderful !!

Hey cat...I think they found me...I was just the means for them to have a new and better home :) I too hope we get to wear them out !! Thank you for your sweet comments...always. c

• loribee
    9 years ago

Beyond gorgeous, especially with that rug. Enjoy!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you lori...I especially love the rug since Momma picked it out ! c

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Just amazing how things come together sometimes! They look fantastic and your great upholsterer did them justice. Very nice!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you arapaho ! One son came home just now , Kenny is his friend since HighSchool...he sat in each and was very impressed ! He is 6'2" and 215# and he said they were very comfy so they have the seal of approval :) c

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

They are wonderful and don't look at all like fabric. Beautiful chairs!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Trailrunner, love, love, love your "new" chairs, and actually the room. Would you show a close up of your fireplace? It looks special too. Getting back to your chairs, I wonder about their age. They need to be featured on Antiques Roadshow. Your upholsterer is a real artist. Yes, the nail head trim is a stunner. Love the way the leather blends with the wood and flows as one. Great choices. Thanks for sharing.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you shee ...they feel like leather too ! I am so pleased.

Texas here is a pic of the fireplace this AM. It is a Valor gas coal Victorian stove. It is about 15 yrs old ands still works as it did when it was installed. We have 4 gas coal fireplaces...2 are Valor and they are the best of the 4. I will link to a place that carries them. Antique roadshow would probably love the before and after pics..I shall send them off ..who knows ?? Thank you for your kind words. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian gas coal fire inserts

• awm03
    9 years ago

Those chairs are terrific. I'm so impressed by how well they turned out!

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

OH! I have a very similar chair, waiting for a makeover in my garage! I was planning to do the nailhead trim as well, so it's good to see how yours was done. Those turned out just fabulous! The distressed "leather" looks fabulous! That upholsterer of yours does magnificent work!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

So cozy and inviting. Beautiful job you and your upholsterer did. I've always admired M3D's talents and eye for the right fabric. She picked the perfect one for those chairs. Your room looks beautiful!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

awm thank you ! Everyone's responses have been so great.

franksmom..you MUST post your chair !! I would love to see. Beekeeperswife posted 2 chairs from a customer of hers a while back and that got me started thinking . I don't know where the pics are now on GW but a search might turn them up..they were wonderful ! Thank you !

nuts..you are right about that m3d is fantastic ! I am so glad I have someone so talented to work on the chairs. He did do a fantastic job. Thank you ! c

this is how the first looked when I found it on the curb...that was fabric on the back stuffed with horsehair..I didn't know but I should have saved it :(....Kenny would have re-used it...oh well...next time !

• livvyandbella
    9 years ago

What a wonderful job was done on these chairs. They are just great!
    I love your fireplace. Such a cozy spot!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you livvy/bella ! We love to sit there in the evening before the fire. It is a cozy place. c

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro