Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Sheet recomendations

Several (8 plus) years ago, I purchased a sheet set from overstock, 1000 thread count, for $80 or so. When I got them, I washed them and was not happy with the wrinkling. But over the years, these sheets transformed themselves into the best sheets I have ever seen, heavy, cool and smooooth...I just love the way they feel.

The past few months, I have been trying to find a replacement and have failed...bought some sheets from Amazon, some feel ok, some like canvas, some downright flimsy. I dont know what I bought earlier and am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. 100% cotton, heavy, cool, ultra smooth,..like butter sheets...sigh...

Comments (22)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We bought some kind of egyptian cotton high thread count sheets and they had no durability...DH kept putting his toe nails through them!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I love Target's Organic sheets! I've had absolutely no pilling in the 4 years i've had them, and although washing in hot water isn't recommended, i've done it anyway with no problems.

I've had other sheets with a sheen that pilled something terrible, so don't be 'impressed' because they feel so soft in the package. After washing a few times, you may as well throw them away~I would be embarrassed to even use them in a guest room. ;o)

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Have you checked out Costco sheets? We have them but only for a few months. They wrinkle a lot, but have that crisp, crinkly, smooth feeling - I love them so far.

As a bonus, a set comes with 4 pillowcases. Which is nice b/c that's what needs washing the most.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is it the Kirkland brand? I dont have a membership, but one of my friends does

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We have some Target "Fieldcrest Luxury" sheets that are nice - thick, smooth and a bit on the wrinkly side (but better than rough or flimsy!).

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Yes, they are the Kirkland brand. They have them in colors and white, some flat and some with sateen stripes woven in.

As I recall they weren't cheap, but weren't horrible, either.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I love the Kirkland cotton sateen sheets. Substantial, smooth, durable. I haven't found them to wrinkle much, but I dry them on low and try to remove them promptly.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I lately went to replace some of my sheets and found some I liked at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think this is the one. It was a Wamsutta sheet set. The flat sheet was a little oversized which I really liked. I basically walked through the sheet area feeling all of them and found this one felt best to my hand. They feel smooth, silky, and cool. A lot of the sheets felt scratchy or like cheep synthetic silk, but this one felt nice. I've only had them for a short while, but I like them so far. I've had good luck with other Wamsutta sheet sets in the past. My favorite sheets to date have been some Isaac Mizrahi sheets from Target, but Target does not seem to carry them anymore.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I'm very interested in discussions about sheets. From what you've all said, sheets these days tend not to be of good quality. Unfortunately, I expect to have to replace some at some time over the next several years, and I still don't know where to look. We have a bottom sheet by Laura Ashley that I vaguely recall buying at a now-defunct outlet store in this area. What's amazing about the sheet is that it's about 27 years old, and it's slept on regularly, and always has been. It originally had a pattern of tiny pale green stars on white. The stars have faded substantially, particularly in the middle. But the sheet itself is holding up - for now.

Am I unrealistic to hope to find something of similar quality today? Given how long we've had the sheet, it wouldn't bother me to pay a lot for new ones, but within reason. (Whatever that means - I have not priced sheets yet.)

• Artichokey
    11 years ago

I had a set of Target Organic sheets; they were very, very comfortable for about ten months. I washed them weekly in hot water (I have allergies/asthma, and the dogs sleep with us) so that may have contributed. I found a set of Lands End sheets on clearance and I absolutely adore them. They were absurdly expensive ($250 on clearance for $100?), but our previous pair lasted nearly eight years (weekly washes in hot water) before they ripped.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think since I have spent a small fortune trying to replace my loved sheets, its worthwhile to try and list what i have tried and how they turned out, maybe if people list their fav's I will find the ONE! Dont you hate it when you find something awesone and it is discontinued?

1. The set I am trying to replace was bought from Overstock, 1,000 TC. Smooth as butter, awesome. Cant find (based on the reviews)anything on their site. Paid $80.

2. The Grand: This is probably one of the better experiences, thick sheets, with a nice nap, suede like. Paid $100 on Amazon.

3. Renaissance from Amazon: Absolutely teh worst set ever. Like cardboard, and sandpaper.

4. pinzon from Amazon: Same as above

5. From Bed bath and beyond, their exclusive brand, felt nice and smooth, but made a lot of fuzz esp with my rough heels

6. Some other brand that I dont recollet, was thinner than paper and turned out to be not cotton at all.

Based on the posts above, I am going to look into Kirkland and Target, maybe Landsend and Wamasutta as well? Do they do returns easily? All the above sheets, I kept as I washed before use, but I am tired of spending so much for bad products...

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I like our PB Classic very much. They seem to fit the description of what you are looking for. It was a relief to find sheets we like & that seem to be holding up. For me, worth the $$

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Costco takes ANYTHING back, at any time. Really. If in 3 years you are not happy with your sheets, they will take them back for a full refund. If you don't have a Costco membership, you should get one! I do 80% of my shopping there, now.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

You know, Costco's return policy has led me to buy more things there than I can count. Like 2 portable AC units and those sheets :).

We bought a flat panel TV and 6 weeks later the power supply fried itself. We would have waited for repairs, but it was over 8 weeks to get parts to the authorized service center. So we brought it back to Costco (no box anymore) and they took it back no problem. They had tried to get the replacement power supply for us faster, and had no luck, so they knew the TV was coming back to them. I know their policy on electronics isn't as unlimited as their policy on other stuff, but I still thought that was pretty darn awesome.

• Christie Santercangelo
    11 years ago

I love the bed bath and beyond pure beech sheets. They are super comfortable. I have them on all of our beds, when we have guests they always comment on how comfortable they are. I had a set wash thin and get a hole 2 years after purchase. I went in to see if I could contact the manufacturer and they took them back with no problem. Highly recommend.

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

We've had good luck with the sheets from The Company Store. They can be pricey but I've gotten some on sale. Very smooth touch, even after washing. That said, I'd stay away from percale...stick with the Egyptian cotton.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

He Crekha -these Egyptian Cotton 1000 TC sheets get rave reviews from Overstock. Is there some reason you don't want to try them?

I'm actually thinking of trying them myself, based on the description and reviews, but then thought maybe I should check with you first.

Here is a link that might be useful: OS Sheets

• bestyears
    11 years ago

He Crekha -these Egyptian Cotton 1000 TC sheets get rave reviews from Overstock. Is there some reason you don't want to try them?

I'm actually thinking of trying them myself, based on the description and reviews, but then thought maybe I should check with you first.

Here is a link that might be useful: OS Sheets

Original Author
    11 years ago

I felt reviews were mixed, some complained that teh sheets are scratchy (which I never felt with the original set I bought from Overstock, wrinkly yes, scratchy no). Also complaints about the seams coming off?

I think I am gun shy now, I bought a set from Amazon with mixed reviews and they were the worst sheets ever. By the time I washed them and realized I hate them, I could not return them.

That being said, I may still try a set from overstock as their prices are really good, but will read every singke review. Also, will Overstock take it back if I was them? I already have a pile of junk sheets, I dont want to keep adding to it and waste my money. Anyone has experience with returns with Overstock?

• springroz
    11 years ago

Annie, LOL, Ihave the same problem with my DH!!

The PB Classic sheets that I have are very soft. I have had them about 6 months. I prefer a slicker sheet, which I think I got when I accidentally bought the PB Essentials sheets. DH did NOT like the Essentials! I did. Maybe I need my own bed, lol!

I had a Hampton House sheet from the Neiman Marcus clearance center that was the perfect combination of soft and slick, it lasted a long time, but NM closed that clearance center, and regular price is TOO pricey.....

Nancy

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Okay, thanks Crekha, that clears it up. I hear you -I love the fact that reviews are everywhere, and use them all the time. But I've been burned by even great reviews (and been stuck with a product that I couldn't imagine giving even two stars too).

Not sure what Overstock's return policy is. I bought sheets from Macy's a few years ago, and after two washings (and using them for 2 weeks), they were horrible. Macy's took them back and gave me my money back without any problem. The set I've linked is on sale at Macy's, down from $240 to $119. Some reviewers love them, some not so much. There seem to be two camps of sheet lovers -crisp and heavy vs. silky and smooth, and I think sheet reviews always reflect that. But it wouldn't be much of a risk with a great return policy.

I've also been impressed with Pottery Barn's return policy. I bought dishes from them, used them for about three months, and was really disappointed at how scratched up the surface was after just that short time. They took them back (with my receipt), without any problem. So perhaps the same would hold true for sheets from them?

Here is a link that might be useful: MACY'S SHEETS ON SALE