Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Does Anyone Jave the SubZero With Glass Door?

User
9 years ago

We may have to replace our 48" subzero refrigerator with a new one. I'm looking at the models and like the side by side with a glass door on the right hand (fridge) side. Does anyone have this model? Is it especially difficult to keep clean? Do you now wish you didn't have to look at so many pickle jars or has the glass inspired you to keep the contents tidier?

We're either doing the one with glass or all stainless, like our current model. (No ice b/c we have a separate ice maker.)

Raves, pans, vicious rumors?

Comments (19)

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I have no comment on the particular model, but I did have a glass front fridge in my last house. It was commercial, no idea what brand, the PO was kind of a kook. I liked it a lot. I would absolutely get one again.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kind of a kook, eh? That description fits every PO of every house we have owned, lol!

Did you like being able to see the contents, or just how it looked?

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

:) I really think they were kooks. The kitchen had a commercial sized fridge and freezer. A giant 6 (maybe 8) burner DCS double oven with griddle on the side range with a HUGE hood. and then Lilac stained junky cabinets that literally had plywood unfinished shelves!

Don't even get me started on the stories I could tell too ;)

I really liked being able to see the contents. It was kept more orderly, things did not end up hidden in the back as often, and it was pretty easy to see what you did or didn't have before you even opened the fridge.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I don't have one but am envious that you might get one! It is on my dream kitchen wish list. I saw one in Elle Decor last year in their kitchen of the month feature. The owner got a commercial grade one off eBay. Either Traulsen or True.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

My niece has a glass door Traulsen and is happy with it. But I have to say she is more relaxed about some things than I am - it would drive me nuts and I'd feel the need to stage it ! I'm a nut about keeping my refrigerator clean and keep it organized - relatively - but it's not on view and if things aren't perfect it's not staring me in the face.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've looked at the Traulsen and everyone says they are loud. Our ice maker is already loud, so I don't want any more noise. I've been reading about Northland built ins and have been scared off by the complaints. So, it's back to what I know. We have the repair guy coming tomorrow and I am preparing myself by selecting a new fridge.....I fear bad news. If it's a compressor well probably replace.

Boop, those POs do sound nutty. And odds are they never even cooked!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's the one with the freezer drawers, right? How do you like the drawers? I did know they aren't energy efficient but agree that not standing with the door open, staring into the interior hoping cream puffs will appear is an improvement over what happens here. :-)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

It's the 48" side by side with fridge and freezer drawers on the bottom. Very happy with the fridge so far. I like the separate compartments -- we use the fridge drawers for veggies in one, "deli" items in the other. Nice to get to them without first having to open a big door. Easy for kids to get a snack. We use one of the freezer drawers for frozen desserts, the bottom has just ice now though there is room for more.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I used to have one in a previous condo ( not side by side, just one door) and I loved it: I'm the type to line up my food though, yogurt cups facing forward,
    matching tupperware, all clear with black lids, etc... DH left things crooked and I would rearrange them most of the time. It's a cool item, imo..... If I had fresh flowers in the house, I would put a bud vase with one stem on the first shelf, lol...
    just for fun.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mitchdesi, you are a classic refrigerator overachiever! I have to admit the flower sounds cute, and how different is that really from the bud vase in the VW bug? We decorate where we can :-)

Oakton, the ability to pull out one category of food without opening the entire fridge is very appealing.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on refrigerator crisis: we limped along with no freezer compartment for several weeks while I got a repair person out, and then a qualified subZ person out, and then a second opinion. I was almost ready to fix the darned thing, then the freon system in the fridge side developed a leak and at that point I was all in for a new one.

After visiting a showroom to which you have to be buzzed in, I was giddy with all the new fridge features. Liked the glass door one but not as much as I thought--- I'd been prepared to love it--- but the interior is stainless and too dark for my 58 year old eyes, and the glass means you lose all the door storage, so that was a non starter. (I discovered that we cannot live without door storage in our refrigerator because we are condiment whores, with six types of mustard, three kinds of mayo, TEN salad dressings and how high can you count number of hot sauces.)

Flirted briefly with the idea of using cabinetry panels on the new subzero, but afraid that would make the kitchen look like a snow palace, and/or that the colors would not match perfectly, with some of the paint being new and some seven years old. Salesman told me I could reuse our stainless panels and save about $650 so I was all over that, plus subzero offered me a loyal customer rebate on a new one of $550, so at least we did save about ten percent, and then the salesman said if we wrote a check for it we would get a 2% discount on both the fridge and installation charge, so overall we saved about 12.5 percent. For an appliance that never goes in sale, this is massive!

Delivered today, they put the panels and handles on wrong (upside down, in fact) but graciously changed it when I pointed this out. We are going to have to do something about the floor (uneven wood abutting front bottom edge) but overall I am very satisfied with it. Great interior lighting, great storage, and the new interior drawers are clear perspex (or something similar) instead of white. Maybe now our potatoes will not sprout from neglect when put away in a fresh produce drawer....more likely we will simply watch them shrivel and die but on the bright side we will probably throw them away sooner :-)

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 6:41

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! It sounds beautiful, and you also scored with some beautiful discounts too. And just in time for T'giving! I'm totally with you on all the condiments. That alone would have stopped me in my tracks too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I never thought of that in re door storage! Good point. Enjoy your new fridge!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The very first thing I thought of was no door storage. Like kswl, I'm a condiment whore. I have a smallish, lowly KA side-by-side but the amount of stuff I can store in those doors is amazing. The idea of glass doors is cool, but I really can't imagine wanting to see the insides of a fridge, unless it belonged to an upscale florist.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My DH and I had mixed feelings about the glass doors, but no door storage was a non starter here too (but I just saw this thread). Great to hear you could reuse you panels and save some money -- as you said, on something that's never on sale. Well done.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

What? No pictures?? *tsk tsk*

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have to say I like this forum very much because there are so many good/clever writers. KSWL--the Kids "staring into the interior hoping cream puffs will appear " and "how high can you count number of hot sauces." were little gems today! Thanks for some smiles here!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Vedazu, thanks for that :-)

Errant, I promised the manager at subZ that I would take a photo and send it to her as they have NO pictures of a new fridge using the customer's previous subZ panels.... Quite honestly I don't think they go out of their way to tell everyone this is a possibility. She said she had never seen one and could not tell me what it would look like, which of course made me think it would look bad. And it doesn't!

I do regret not getting the new smaller, separate drawers in the glass door model, but I don't have kids living at home so the doors don't open nearly as often now.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County