Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathybeachgirl_gw

~ options for the front of my garrison colonial ~

kathybeachgirl
9 years ago

Hi there ~
This is my home, which is a taupe Garrison Colonial, black shutters and a black front door. (FYI... I also have a white 6' fence in the back but it is not in the photo.) Certain parts of the house will stay as is due to limited budget (like the current roof, siding, chimneys and major landscaping).

Please give my your opinion on the following:

1) BOTH DOOR COLORS ~ should the colors match? I still want the front door to be black. Should the other be also black to match? I did an extensive online search of houses that had two doors showing in front (most houses have just a main entry door in front) and all photos I found had both doors painted the same color. (Note: I will be getting a black storm door for the main door to match the black door better.)

1. FRONT STEP RAILS ~ Should I keep the white step rails in front? Or a nicer style in black, such as one that curves out slightly? Or maybe no step rails?
  2. TOP OF BAY WINDOWS ~ I would like to also dress up the tops of the bay windows. Any suggestions? Pictures of molding styles to replace the siding strip above the bay windows to the overhang?
    Note: The bottom of the bay windows will have to stay as is due to limited budget. However, someday I hope to box out the bottoms with molding and remove those bushes that are currently disguising them.

4) FRONT MAIN DOOR ~ Currently, my front door trim has fluted molding on the sides (however, the fluted molding may not be that in the future when I may change out the door set. For now, it stays.). I think a molding above the main door to fill in the space between the overhang would be an improvement. Any suggestions? My budget can not accommodate a portico for the front door area to emphasis it. So I would like to add a crown molding above the door to the over hang. Any ideas of the best style molding? And to match with the new tops of the bay windows also.

5) MAIN LIGHTS ~ The lights on the sides of the main door appear too small now. However, the position of the current ones suddenly to me appear really close the top trim and high up. Does the current positioning look fine if I were to get bigger lights in the same place? What style lights (photos would be great) do you think would look good as replacements?

6) STEPS BRICK VENEER ~ I would like to change the front steps brick veneer underneath. My left chimney matches it, both are reddish. My back chimney and my newer stone wall planter behind the maple tree match, both are a light brown/grayish look. If I change my front steps stones to a color more like the stone wall planter and my back chimney, do you think it would look odd that the other chimney is still reddish?

7) FENCE IN FRONT ON SIDES OF YARD ONLY ~ In the photo you can see on the left side the area that I want to put in a low fence. There is very minimal space there. I also want to put in a mirror image of the fence on the other side of my property, which has a plant border there currently (it would be in the plant border). I would like the fence for decorative purposes and for wind control (ground drift of leaves, etc) and to hide a bit of the neighbors stuff they have. I don't expect to hide it completely, but at least my property would have a more defined look with a fence or a very narrow hedge (that I don't need to trim, not sure if that is possible). Also, I want a fence style that would have either a foot or two of solid panels at the bottom with an open topper that would look nice with my style house. The solid bottom is because I don't want to see any pile up of stuff at the very bottom on the neighbors side from my side. So, the fence would be a total height of 3', one on each side of my front property (but not in directly in front). Any suggestions with photos? Do you think this would look fine? I limited on options because a hedge would take up space and it is very tight, plus I don't want to go on the neighbors property to trim a hedge.

~Thank you~

Comments (54)

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi ~ Here is a somewhat closeup of the lights at the main door. It's a bummer of how they are positioned because if I change them to larger lights, the position wouldn't be correct. That would open up a new can of worms because the house is sided and would create an issue with a hole in the siding. I don't see a solution to cover that up decoratively to re-position lights in a different spot.

I will send a separate post on another item...

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ~ About the molding changes, isn't the top of the bays the way it is a bit old style (like the 70's)? No offense to anyone that likes that look. All the bays I have seen have nicer molding.

Here is one style molding I was considering for the tops. In this photo make pretend the ledge that you see above this bay window is the overhang on my Garrison Colonial. So the molding would be underneath that as shown. Or, here is a second style I will post next...

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another style for the tops of my bay window (and the bottoms in the future). But first the tops at least.

I will send a separate post on another item...

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

About the fence, I am afraid it would look too closed in as well, but I am more sick of the side view of that neighbor's house. I know I wouldn't hide everything, but the low fence would help draw the eye away a bit from their property and I feel it may define mine moreso separately. Our properties (on the left side) just flow into one another with one lawn space. For example, if you notice in my first photo of my house you will see on the left I have a hose container box, a small cute tree that I planted this year, and a small black planter to the far left. All that blends in to the background of the neighbors (they have some black container just sitting out on their side of their house which should be in the garage, etc.) They are not that clean. So, I want my plantings and things to have a nice backdrop and that is not the neighbors messy landscape. I also wanted the fence to control ground wind drift of things.

They don't always keep up on their leaves and I am a bit fed up when I have cleaned up nicely (and there are no leaves on the tree anymore), that leaves and the random garbage item blows back into my property from the sides. I know I can't control mother nature, and I love trees, but if I can control a bit of clutter than maybe I will try. Still not sure, though about the fence.

I have lived with the way it is for a while now and just may have to like. But I still like to have a decorative fence. Here is one style I was consider in an large square lattice in 2' bottom, 1' top. Or maybe go with more lattice and less solid at the bottom, like 1.5' bottom and 1.5' lattice at the top?

Now, I just thought maybe just have the fence go to just past my house a bit and not all the way down as I had originally thought of. That is an idea. What do you think of that?

I will send another post on one more fence style...

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another fence style that is more open but maybe I can get the bottom to be a foot solid? Not sure if I can get this in vinyl though?

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Re: the doors, the current paint scheme calls attention to the main front door and defines the entrance, which is nice. Is that a screen door on the front door? If so, I'd paint it black if it's paintable.

Very few people will stand back and take in the entire house and notice if the chimney's a different color from steps or the hardscape materials. I wouldn't worry about chimney color.

Nice job on the planting bed!

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ~ About the main door, it has a glass storm door. I agree with you about having it all black to match the door. I think it could be painted, or I may replace it. I attached a photo of a door I found online with a black storm door. But I am wondering what is the black at the bottom of the sidelights in the photo, and if I should do that so there some black elsewhere to match.

I currently have brass on the front door and pewter on the other door. I think I will change the front door to pewter as well, and have a long handle door knob installed.

You are correct about the chimneys. I am looking to replace the stone veneer on the front steps to match more to the stone planter.

And thanks about the compliment on the stone wall planter! That was a project I won't forget.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think you should paint the second door black. I also think that, if you paint the inside grids of the windows black, it would look fantastic, a la your pic at 1:03. I love this new look.

I think you need more heft around the front door, i.e.: larger and nicer lanterns and more substantial railings, with the railings in black. Maybe even a heftier door knocker.

Agree with the other poster about not worrying about the brick at all.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

You haven't asked, but if it were me, I'd get larger, beefier shutters and shutter hardware.

You may be able to get larger lights w/o moving them if the light are oriented down instead of up.

The color of the second door also depends on how you personally feel about the second door. I think it is aesthetically suboptimal to have a door on the same facade so close to the first, so I'd be de emphasizing it.. Painting it black says to me " look at my two-doored house". You are pointing out that they are both doors. When one is white it almost reads as a window iykwim.

Edited due to horrific iPad typos!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 8:56

• bpath
    9 years ago

For the doors, try different colors on your computer to see what you like. It's personal preference: on our house, the doors are different styles, service door is the same color as the siding (cream) the front door is the same color as the shutters(kind of dark taupe). On the house across the street, the doors are the same style, both black, like the shutters. I the both looks are nice.

For the fence, a low, 36-42" fence could make a big difference. On your side, you could Plant boxwood which wouldn't require much pruning at all, it's a slow tidy grower. When our neighbors put in a fence almost to the end of our driveway, (but it's tall, solid with lattice on top) I thought I would be unhappy, but it actually makes our yard live larger because we can use the whole yard up to the fence. The only thing I wish is that they had "cut" the corner or used a shorter section at the end, so I could see the bus stop on the corner.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tibbrix ~ About the second door, thanks for the info. Here is another photo of a house that has two doors the same color in front also. And I like the idea of a larger door knocker and/or nicer railings in black.
    And about the brick color matching, everyone is right that it isn't such a big deal if I change the brick veneer on the front steps.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mtnrdredux ~
    I like the larger shutter idea also. I think I will put that on my list for sure because it will help not show up so much siding on my house and emphasis on certain features more.

I think the larger lights downwards should work, similar to the photo I posted a few back of a black door. They are downwards and look nice. Great idea.

And you did bring up a good point about the white front side door being so close to the main door on my house, where maybe other larger houses have their two doors further apart. Something to still consider. I may keep this door white after I see how the main door is after I make some of the changes to it:
    ~ have a black storm door
    ~ larger lights facing downwards
    ~ pewter hardware with a long handle
    ~ maybe a black railing or no railing
    ~ crown molding added above the door to fill in the space to the overhang
    ~ move the house number somewhere on the main door (right now they are on the post next to the side door and I don't know why I put it there long ago!)

Oh, here is yet another photo of a house with two doors in the same color (I like photos)...

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi bpathome ~
    Someone else had suggested to me also that I could paint the second door the same color as my siding, which would blend in but then I wasn't sure if it would look like an empty spot on my house siding, or should I have a white trim around it at least? Or paint the trim the same color as my house and door also? Hmmm.
    About the low fence, I may go with the 3' high fence to fit in the tight spot.

What do you think about having the 3' fence end just past my house and not to the end of the max length on my lawn?

However, with a hedge, there will be more maintenance than just trimming at the bottom of a fence (which by the way I would like to install a mowing strip at the bottom of the fence). I really like hedges but even the narrowest of them would be at least a few feet wide and I hate to lose that much of my lawn space. Plus I would need to trim it on the other side (neighbors) because the hedge would be so close to the property line and don't want to deal that at all.

If anyone has a style low fence that has some solid at the bottom (even maybe a foot) that you think would look nice with my house, please let me know what fence style it is. I posted a couple pictures earlier of two fence styles to consider.

Oh, here is yet another photo of a house with two doors of the same color. Just wanted to post it…

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a third fence style I was considering (2' solid bottom, 1' topper). It is the open spindle top. Or I can get this with longer spindles also (ex. 1.5' solid bottom, 1.5' topper).

And I forgot to reply about the black grids on the windows like in a photo I previously posted. I love that look also but my windows have the grids in between the glass panels.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Suggestion: Skip the fence and plant evergreens/fir trees instead. Don't, though, plant pines, as the needles drop and are so bad for grass and a pain to clean up. Cedar trees are another good option.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Ah, yes, cedars! Arborvitae! We planted such green columns to hide the neighbors' (not the ones with the fence) sea-doo and kids' cars, works great and no maintenance. No permit required, either, unlike a fence (fences also seem to invite dogs to mark :( ... )

Our camouflage door actually serves a purpose that you don't need: our doors share the same front porch and the service door opens into the mudroom with its array of shoes, jackets, shopping bags, etc, so we like minimizing its presence. That is, we REALLY don't want guests coming to that door!

Can you add top decorative trim to your windows? Some neighbors have done so and it really enhances the classic look. Your house is already so pretty, your plans will certainly take it to the next level!

• bpath
    9 years ago

What about a low stone wall that matches the planter? Or another planter?

In our last house we planted Karl Forster grass which made a great block, except for mid-March--June, when it was cut down and re growing, but it grows tall very fast. It doesn't take up much ground space, and the only maintenance was to cut it down in March.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Some suggestions for privacy plants and trees:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wichita Blue Juniper

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Dawn Redwood

Here is a link that might be useful: Dawn Redwood

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Canadian Hemlock, if you're in a cold climate.
    it does have needles, so you want to find out if they drop.
    btw, these are all fast-growing trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Hemlock

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tibbrix ~
    Thanks for all the great evergreen options! Maybe I will rethink the whole fence thing. On the left side of my yard where there is just lawn space (see photo), but still tight next to my current curve edging I have already as part of my landscape near my yard (just past the corner of my house), maybe have just a low fence up until that curve edging.

Then, from the end of the new fence continue with evergreens in a row until near the end of my front yard. It is a tight space from my edge of my back white fence to just past the corner of my house.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi bpathome ~
    Thank you for your suggestions on the evergreens and side door also!

In my earlier posts in this posting, I indicated I wanted a molding above the bay windows. If you see I have two postings back to back that show two styles of top moldings. Not sure which one would look good for my house yet. I do want it to look good with my front door molding at the top when I get that also. Which style do you like between those two photos I posted earlier?

Thank you so much about the compliment on my home, even though parts of my exterior is still out dated (like the bay windows trim).

About another stone wall, the look is always great and classic. However, I could see people (anyone) just wanting to sit on it or even walk on it. I think I will rule that option out, though.

About the tall grass, I like that look also however I have four tall grasses on the other side where I want to put in the other fence. I like those a lot but I prefer to just have those four and their upkeep (such as when it rains hard, they lean over; luckily, I have come up with the idea to keep an invisible twine around them).

In this photo is where I want to redo the plant border a bit. It is also a tight space. So where the plastic edging currently, I wanted a new low 3' fence in place of it. Then finish my landscaping in my plant border after that.

So, ultimately, how about I put in the 3' fence on the right side of my lawn where the plant border is. And put a partial fence (same height) on the left side of my lawn where there is just lawn space up until about my corner of my house and then follow that with a row of evergreens?

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If it were mine I'd come off the corners of the main part of the house with a fence or hedge that separates it from the extension as the main part of the house is formally symmetric and the smaller part is not. A formal garden that echoed the facade of the main part of the house would be made within the enclosing and screening fence or hedge. Yes, I would actually have two different gardens with two different styles to go with the two different parts of the house, as one part of the house is geometrically symmetric and the other is not. You have enough room that dividing your place into a series of outdoor rooms that are traveled through as one goes around the house is feasible and appealing anyway. Yet the lot is small enough that viewing the entire house - as a single unit - as though it were a grand mansion with a sweeping expanse around it may not be in the cards anyway. Especially since you are already talking about erecting fencing.

Recommend reading the formal vs. informal section on pages 8-10 of Garden Design Illustrated by John and Carol Grant. Small, cheap and essential book on the subject that can be gotten from used book sources.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Regarding the evergreen option, be sure to check the mature height and width of any trees you are considering for a hedgerow. For example, the dawn redwood grows to 50+ feet high and 30+ feet wide and should not be planted anywhere near a foundation. The last thing you need is a row of trees that will heft up the foundation, drop needles on the roof, and be too large for their spot. It's crucial to look at the mature size of a tree to decide whether it's right for the location.

I wouldn't do a hedge either. We have hedges similar to boxwood and it is a pain keeping them looking tidy (shearing) and replacing those that become diseased or die out. Since you want to decrease your workload, a fence makes more sense to me. If I were you I'd play around with a way to make the front end of the fence look good, maybe having just a bit of a short section turned inwards at the end with a low easy-care shrub/grasses bed artfully placed so the end of the fence makes sense.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why not hire a landscape artist to give you a plan to use plantings, hedges, trees, etc., rather than fencing? Adds beauty, which a fence would not do, and texture and color, etc.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks previous posts, bboy, lazydaisynot and Tibbrix. I don't think a hedge would work anyways, that is correct. Because it is a tight space and I still need to keep it looking neat and trimmed and that is a lot of upkeep. And I prefer not to use the neighbors side to access the other sides of a hedge often to keep it looking nice.

My next option instead of a fence would be on the left side (where the lawn space is) to plant in a row some type of evergreen that grows very narrow naturally and not too tall, so I can just let it be and not trim it on the sides. I hope it would use up about a foot of space, though. I am trying to avoid losing most of my lawn space, and just want to lose the very minimal possible. I like the expanse of my front lawn.

Anyone can recommend a very very narrow evergreen that grows like that and not super tall? I could at least trim the tops once in a while, which is not too bad; I just don't want to trim the sides.

Then for the right side (where my plant border is) I can put a fence there in place of my plastic edging.

So one side would have a row of some type of evergreens and the other side of my lawn would have the low fence with my other plantings in front of it in the plant border.

Does anyone like that idea?

I am trying to figure this out without a landscape designer so I can save my budget (I am sure a landscape designer is pricey). Worse case scenario if I still get stuck in my decision, then I will look around for a few and get their prices.

I will try to get that book that was suggested also. Thank you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I get why you want low maintenance, but why would you not want to access something from the neighbor's side??

I am finding that people are less and less neighborly. That is a very bad thing.

Take a look at Pieris Japonica plants. They are maintenance free, grow 5 - 8 feet, are evergreen….They are slow growers, though.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Aborvitae comes in diff sizes so if you go that way make sure you get one of the shorter ones. Some types will grow into full sized trees so read the tag. They get about three feet wide but they form a nice no upkeep hedge. Deer do eat them though they leave mine alone in favor of the neighbors down the road. I think a short fence would look nice as well but in our part of the country white fences like you are showing turn green quickly so upkeep there is a consideration as well.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tibbrix ~
    You are correct, some people are less neighborly. This is due to many factors and reasons. Unfortunately, not everyone can determine ahead of time if they have good neighbors or not. It is the luck of the draw.

Thank you for the evergreen suggestion. I will take a look at it.

Hi madeyna ~
    Thank you also for your advice also. I have had my current vinyl fence in the back yard for about 12 years now and it looks great. Of course, it got a little dirty and mildewy in sections over the years, but this year I had the house and fence power washed and it is nice and white again. It was a good quality fence to begin with, so maybe that made a difference that it's still looking good.

Which style fence is your favorite for my house to put in the plant border and possibly on the other side also if I don't go with a row of evergreens there? I posted three photos earlier.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just judging from all you have said, I would advise you to go with a fence and plant a perennial garden on your side. I would not plant a row of evergreens anywhere in the front yard or side yards because I think they will eventually seem to close in your property and will most likely be very unattractive at that point. I would plant several trees - Perhaps an oak and several smaller trees such as cornus kousa (kousa dogwood), amelanchier (serviceberry), Vitex agnus (chaste tree-blooms in summer), crabapple- something that flowers.Some shrubs and deciduous trees will enhance your curb appeal and block views of neighbors for three seasons of the year.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I agree that you should go with a fence, and I'm a plant lover! You're looking for function -- blocking blowing leaves, blocking unsightly messes -- without adding to your workload. Any plants will cause you more work and make it more difficult to rake and keep things tidy.

I was looking for fences between houses without a fence in front while driving on errands today, and saw a few. It's an uncommon arrangement in my neck of the woods. Those that had some plants at the front end of the fence looked best -- a small upright shrub about the same height as the hedge with a cluster of a few other lower shrubs spilling inward toward the house. It's always wise to consult a good local nursery for advice about what will work in your situation. Sometimes you can find fine plants at a big box store but independent nurseries are the place to go for expert advice. Take photos with you when you get to that point.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I like the first one you had posted . The squares eco the squares in your window. Have you considered putting a fake roof/cap( i don,t know else to call it) Over the bay windows? We did that here with our bathroom baywindow to help it match the deep baywindow in the living room and it really did add to the look of the home. The you posted about molding shows a real one but a good carpender can add a mock one that looks functional.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi cyn427 ~
    I think it could be back to a fence then (and back to my original decision). I like your idea of a few trees in front of the fence, though. Maybe a couple of evergreens that I can shape into tree form so I don't add more leaves to the area.

Hi lazydaisynot ~
    Thank you very much. Since I do have limited time on my hands (and I love to work on my yard also with plants), I'd rather not add too much if I can help it. I think a fence is probably the most practical idea in this instance. And at the end of the fence I could have another holly bush that matches the other current holly bush I have on the other side. Which style fence did you like from my earlier posts (3' total height)?

Hi madeyna ~
    Thanks for the fence style suggestion. The squares comes in regular squares or larger squares. The photo I posted is the larger squares. I love that fence too.

About the tops of the bays, I have seen that style with the roof ledge on bay windows but I cannot find a photo of how it would look like on a Garrison Colonial (because of the overhang issue). I have seen, though, photos of Garrison Colonials that do have bay windows with the molding above them. This photo is one example that shows the molding above the door and bay windows. However, they have the dentil trim molding which I probably won't have. The molding would be simpler on mine. (I love their stone veneer on the bottom half. That is out of my budget to do that, though.)

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I don't care for the open spindle top but think either of the first two would be good choices.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I havn't read the whole thread. You have a very pretty house, The only thing that looks strange to me is that the siding continues down the front of the roof of the bay window without a defined separation. It's like an eyelid without a fold.

Can you redo the bay window roof with some azek and step it back an inch or two from the overhang like in the picture two comments above mine? I don't know if doing a single band of different color siding at the junction between the bay window and the overhang would help (or painting that strip). Perhaps someone can photoshop that to see what it looks like.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lazydaisynot ~
    I actually do agree with you. Thanks your for your input!

Hi scrappy25 ~
    Thank you about the compliment. I total agree with you with the strip above the bay windows to the overhang. I always hated that look. I posted a few molding options earlier in this post. If you have a moment, quickly scroll back to look out for two bay window examples and take a look at the top moldings on each and let me know which one you like.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I like the second bay window trims you posted it follows threw with the square theme. Looking at the pic of yours it looks like that kind of trim might stand out away from the upper part of the home . If you look at the last pic the trim on that home is inset to sit under that upper part. Or at least even with it. I think thier bay window was built a few inchs further back than yours. That might be something to ask a carpender about.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi madeyna,
    Thank you for your input on the bay windows molding trim on top. I really appreciate it. I have to find a good carpenter, first.

• voila
    9 years ago

I think you need some overhang to add trim to the bay windows. I would worry about trapping water above the window without the overhang. I would try this trick with simply painting the top siding white, and skipping the white horizontal trim on the bottom row of the second story since it would interfere with the down spouts. It would be an easy and inexpensive thing to try.

• voila
    9 years ago

If you really want to change the front style of your house a portico would make a huge difference.

• voila
    9 years ago

Another roof style for front porch.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi voila,
    Thank you. Good point! You're right, I just noticed that center part over my bays are flush with the overhang, and not recessed like in the photo you included.

That is a really good idea of just painting above my current bay windows without replacing anything. However, I have vinyl siding and I have to see if that can be painted properly.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, viola for the extra photos. I do love the portico around the front door idea, but I think that would be out of my budget for a while. I have to tackle a deck project too, among other things.

But if I can do something to give it a better curb appeal on the low end, such as larger lights next to the main door; crown molding above the main door (like the attached photo, but under the overhang); black storm door (like in the attached photo); and white above the bay windows. I hope those should make it a bit nicer.

• voila
    9 years ago

And one more picture of Garrison Colonial Revival with a portico. These would all need a walkway to the front door, which you don't have, I believe ( could certainly be wrong). One more option to change the front façade would be to add a front porch the length of the house, which would alleviate the trim above the bay windows and utilize a side entry, possibly. This may change the style of the house too much, though, taking it to more Colonial? or farmhouse? It would also be more expensive.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi viola,
    Super nice but I am not sure if you seen my post just minutes before your last post. Unfortunately, a portico would be out of my price range. Nice thought, though.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I took a little road trip this weekend and happened to notice a fence that made me think of your post. It took some time finding what the style was called, but I think this is similar. It is not solid on the bottom, but has a second set of pickets that are so close together, nothing from the bad neighbors could blow through. And the advantage to the open pickets is a well aimed leaf blower will clear your side of the fence and will simultaneously blow their leaves away from your fence without you having to move off your property. I completely understand not wanting to access the fence or a hedge from their side. I have neighbors like that, too. Ugh!

From what I can see it's called a puppy picket. I know this is taller than what you want, but this is the idea.

Another example (I don't care for the top portion of this fence, but you can see the idea of the double pickets at the bottom, with more open pickets at the top). I am linking because the pic is large and I can't seem to reduce it.

Here is a link that might be useful: puppy picket

This post was edited by olychick on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 11:17

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi olychick,
    Nice picture. Thank you. I came across this style fence in the beginning and was considering it also. Great point about the leaf blower.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

The first picture posted by voila shows exactly what I was suggesting, painting the siding band white above the bay and stepping back the roof of the bay slightly and covering with azek trim. Since the "stepping back" would involve rebuilding the bay roof, that might get a bit pricey.

You could think about replacing your bottom siding piece with a white azek board to separate the overhang from the bay roof, and perhaps the increased thickness of the thicker azek board will give you just enough change in plane to correct the "flat eyelid" problem. Only problem is I have a hunch that the bottom siding piece may be the anchor for the other pieces so I do not know if just that one piece can be removed. If it can, the top front of the white azek board can probably be shaved to fit in under the siding band above so that water still runs down over the front face of the azek board.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Its already a really nice home and I really think your on the right track to making a big impovement on the front of your home by adding the trim above the bay windows and the door. I think if I was you I would just bight the bullet and do it. You have already shown really good taste on the other things you have done. Just be sure that the area just above the window thats not under the over hang is sealed propery whatever you decided to go with. When we did ours the sheeting that went under the bay window roof went up under the siding that was above it and clear down to the window frame. I am sorry I don,t remember that name of that sheeting stuff but we did a major remodle at that time so alot was going on.