Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

why don't i ever see these tiles on walls? (MBA)

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Okay, so for the vintagey look in our beachhouse MBA, I am thinking of something along these lines, probably done in white and aqua and a third color TBD.

I want the floor of the shower to have the pattern with "flowers". I want the wall to be plain field tile and a border near the top. I do not want Subway --- I have used it so many bathrooms, first in Montclair and then in Connecticut.

Why don't i ever see this used on a wall , though, it seems?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• Jamie
    10 years ago

It seems to me that wall tiles have more of an obvious glaze than floor tile usually has- ? Don't know if the little tiles floor tiles demand it, or if it is simply convention, but they're usually seen with a courser grout which, again, is typically not used on walls.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, that glazing point is interesting;id prefer matte anyway.

I know that small tiles and coarse grout give better traction for floors, but I am not sure why you can't put it on the wall. Plus the glass mosaics that are so popular now are often on walls ...

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I don't know why they couldn't be used on the wall. I love the pattern and it has a beautiful vintage feel!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't know if you saw this, but it looks terrific...whether you do the flowers as shown on your inspiration floor, or something like they've done here...maybe a section with the flowers as a border?

this is before completion or grout

Here is a link that might be useful: hex walls

• Olychick
    10 years ago

One more sans flowers, much more modern than your look, but the window reminds me of your possible shower enclosure.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more hex

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick, that is EXACTLY the stuff I have been looking at, encaustic and hex. I don't necessarily want to do flowers, but I do not want Greek Key (another motif I have used before and am tired of, as lovely as it is).

Oly, I think I am nixing those doors. They are 7 times the cost of ordinary glass doors, and in the end, I am not certain they will look right (muntin size and material).

Now that you will see the shower stall tile, I am focussing on how to make it vintagey without using the s-word.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I know I have seen the small square mosaics on walls, so I don't know why the hex wouldn't work. Larger format hex tiles could also be done - I have seen a number of kitchen backsplashes with 2-4" hex tiles. I have also seen some nice vintage baths with square tiles - either set straight, running bond or on the diagonal. Similar to subway, but not, kwim?

My guess is that usually the mosaics are more expensive, so they are used where they are needed for traction and the less expensive subway is used on the walls.

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

I think Bill Vincent did a bathroom with a white hex shower. I think he did it for a local architect a while back. As a matter of fact, I think there was quite a bit of white hex in that room. Will do some poking around to see if I can find the thread.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Hex is one thing and there's no reason not to use it on your shower walls if it's glazed, but unglazed floor tile on the walls in the shower it will be a headache to keep clean. On the floor, there is almost constant water to wash soap, shampoo, conditioner etc down the drain. But all those substances splash on the walls and the walls generally don't get the same water flow over them and those products build up easily. I'd also be concerned about permanent discoloration when they aren't immediately washed away on unglazed tile.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

olychick - Love the pictures you posted. I am a huge fan of encaustic tiles.

mtnrdredux - Here is one of my favorite Heath tiles, the wide hex twist. A lovely floral feeling. This has three colors I think:

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Note each tile is 5" wide, so it's a larger tile than you might think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oldbat2be -- those are cool. Will they look modern?

Jreuter -- you said the "S word"

DLM, aha, great point.

Sparkle, thanks.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Have you seen this company? Beautiful mosaics, but most aren't shown IN a shower

Here is a link that might be useful: New Ravenna mosaics

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hex tile on wall. There are reasons not to do wall tile on the floor, but less so vice versa.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Sarah Richardson

New Ravenna tile