Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyloo123

mjsee....your painted This End Up furniture

cindyloo123
12 years ago

I don't want to hijack the thread where I saw that you had painted the frames of your TEU sofa and loveseat. But I have been searching for months, trying to see what that set would look like painted.

I have two TEU sofas, I am about to redo my LR and I am trying to decide if painting them would "help" their appearance any. It's not like it would be any great loss if I painted them and then wanted to go back to the plain wood. Those things show up on CL regularly and I could sell the painted versions and replace with ease. Still, I really want to see some painted pieces before I take the plunge and paint mine.

Can you please post some pics where you really focus just on one of those pieces. Thanks for reading.

Comments (5)

• rafor
    12 years ago

I have a whole set of this stuff that I got from my parents. It is indestructible!!

I'm going to try adding some graphics to it. Sort of like labeling crates. I'm going to try it on some of the tops of the end table or coffee tables and also on the back of the sofa and love seats. I think it will improve their appearance dramatically. Now I just have to get off my butt and do it!!!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I'll post pics tomorrow. It actually came out really nice...with no knots showing through. I DID use a super-hiding primer...the stinky (lacquer based?)kind that one has to use mineral spirits to clean up.

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rafor, yes, I can see "labeling" all over this style of furniture, lol. I think that would really look cool. If you ever get around to doing it, I hope you'll post the pics.

The furniture is indestructible. It's also versatile. If you remove the back cushions, it is almost as deep as a single bed, so it makes a great place to sleep.

One of my sofas is the designated lounging spot for me and my two dogs. The dogs are not allowed on any other furniture. The slip covers and even the cushions themselves are easily washed. I have plenty of extra slip cover fabric, so when a new puppy chewed an arm rest, I had it recovered in less than 15 minutes. Had he chewed a regular upholstered sofa, it would have been ruined.

Visually, these sofas leave a lot to be desired. Ok, they leave EVERYTHING to be desired. But unless or until I decide to invest in very high quality leather, this is what I have to work with. Just as I am getting rid of all of my wall to wall carpet, I no longer want to have upholstered furniture that can't be thoroughly cleaned.

If paint will make them appear more "finished", I am willing to try that. So mjsee, I will be looking forward to any pictures you can share!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Cindyloo--I painted this furniture in 2001. It has been used and abused by teen-aged and young adult men. It has had more than its share of beer/rum/who-KNOWS-what spilled on it. I did not caulk any seams, though that might not have been a bad idea. One coat zinsser BIN shellac primer/sealer and two or three coats of Ben Moore Semi-gloss latex. (Probably Satin Impervo.)

As you can see--the bases have gotten a little banged up in ten years:

(From the vacuum cleaner?)

Back of three cushion sofa:

Front of three cushion sofa:

Hope these help!

• cindyloo123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that mjsee! I will hold on to them AND your instructions for the painting. Sometime soon I'll have to decide what to do with my sofas. I'll probably gather opinions here and go with the consensus.

It helps a lot though to see what the painted version will look like. Thanks again!