Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julesann_gw

Wallpaper borders

julesann
9 years ago

Do you know of a good source for wallpaper borders?

I am looking for a sophisticated design for a spare room that will be grey (darker below border, lighter above). I don't care for what I'm finding in stores or online.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

eBay has a lot. What style are you looking for?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've used wallpaper borders in the past, but I haven't seen much of them lately....I think too many people peeling too many borders full of ducks or ivy.

I was successful looking in books designed for men...they tend to be more graphic and less floral...though you do have to avoid the hunting scenes.

But be sure you are looking in all books, not just books of borders as they bury them in between.

Lynette Jennings advice was to grab a book and thumb through it very quickly to see if you see your colors. If not, get another book as the books are put together according to a limited selection of color schemes. If you find colors you want, then go through the book in detail.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Borders are pretty passe'. Are you sure you want to go that route? Isn't there another way to be creative in the room?

What about a chair rail?

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I was thinking about a chair rail too and they never go out of style. You can do the same type of painting, light grey above and darker grey below, and paint the chair rail white. If I were looking for borders, I do a google image search and describe colors I wanted.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Another alternative could be some painted banding, or banding with stencilling, depending on what sort of look you're going for.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I spent hours removing the borders in our first house. Not a look I like, even when they were in. Personally, I don't think it adds anything positive to a room.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Just spent several hours peeling away the previous owners wallpaper boarder. I'd go with a stencil if your really wanting to put that stamp on your room.

• julesann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of your responses. I understand how many people turn up their noses at borders. I don't want a cheesy, run-of-the-mill border either. I just thought with all of the designers out there making such neat wallpapers (see Etsy!), that I could find a unique border too.

I want to freshen up a room that was painted nicely and had a border at the chair rail level. I liked the look of the room and thought it would be quick to redo in different colors, same style.

I like the idea of a stencil (again, see Etsy!) but when removing the original wallpaper border, I found that it was over a drywall seam where they didn't mud!! I would like to do it correctly but of course...time. Plus, I'd have to learn how to do it.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Cole and Son has a couple black/white/grey architectural looking borders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole and Son

• User
    9 years ago

I'd scroll through eBay. Unique borders are out there. google wallpaper. And like someone else said, look in the wallpaper books at the store. Get the number and then google the number so you can afford the border!

Google "wallpaper border" and you'll have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. There used to be 2 or 3 discount sites but I didn't find them just now.

Here is a link that might be useful: border

• User
    9 years ago

Look through these search results https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wallpaper+border

I like the graphic leaves striped but I don't know what you are looking for. I suppose you will know it when you see it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Graphic Leaves Striped

• AlanLeo
    9 years ago

I think borders might be a good idea, but even better than that would be getting a wall decal or art sticker. They solve that problem creatively and for far less. So if you're looking for some inspiration along alternatives to expensive options, then take a look at the designs on this website: http://www.infinitywallart.com/
    You truly don't know how good they are until you've tried them.

Here is a link that might be useful: The site you've been looking for all this time!!