Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?

juddgirl2
9 years ago

I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the Southern Living Tallaway plan. We'll be building a country/farmhouse style home on 22 acres that perked for a 5 bedroom. We prefer one story living but plan on building a 1 1/2 story to meet the HOA's minimum sf while saving costs by building up instead of out, and also because we love the look of 2 stories.

So, I've been looking at plans that will allow for 1-2 bedrooms and an office on the main floor with extra bedrooms and bonus space upstairs for the kids and visiting family. The Tallaway plan seems like it could work with some modifications.

My main question is what do you think about the changes I made to the keeping/kitchen/dining rooms? We don't need two living spaces so close together or a formal dining room. The kitchen is very important to me though, since that's pretty much where our family lives most of the time!

Option A changes the keeping room to dining and Option B changes the keeping room to the kitchen, with the dining space in the existing kitchen. Either plan should accommodate my 9 ft (12 ft extended) farm table.

Option A - I like the idea of having the kitchen in the middle of the dining and family rooms. Also, it would be lovely to have a fireplace in the dining room! I am wondering though if there are enough cabinets in this plan - it's hard to tell. I have a lot of cabinets in my current kitchen and love the extra storage for my baking/cooking/and serving dishes.

Option B - putting the kitchen in the keeping room area might allow for more cabinet space and also bring windows into the kitchen. It might also help keep kitchen noise and mess out of the family room. We"d have to lose the fireplace though and I'm not sure if I prefer the dining room in the middle.

Existing First Level:

Option A First Level:

Option B Second Level:

Second Level:

Existing Exterior Elevation:

Comments (15)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I like Option #2 the best for Kitchen placement. I do not like having a Master Bedroom just off the kitchen.

That house has a lot of wasted space in the foyer areas.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

newhomebuilder - you're right. I just noticed there's quite a bit of hallway space near the foyer. We could possibly fix that when we make modifications for the 2nd level - maybe move the stairwell to the foyer and rearrange the area near the master.

I'm still looking at other plans but haven't had much luck finding one with the 2 bedrooms plus room for an office and den on the first floor.

• voila
    9 years ago

IMHO, it is unusual (odd?) to put the Master bedroom door across from the basement door. If you don't put French doors on that bedroom, I wonder if you could move furniture in--like your mattress or a large dresser? OTOH, I'm not sure I would want everyone to see my bedroom from the front porch. I had a wrap around porch with Master bedroom French doors on the side, far from the front door and on the opposite side of the driveway. It still added to decorating expense, since you have to be able to cover them. I might keep looking, sorry.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Voila - thanks for pointing out that french doors from the master to the front porch might not be the best idea. I was thinking it would be nice access for us but not so much about people seeing in. I guess we could just stick with the smaller porch if we did use this plan.

I don't think we'd build the basement with this plan so there wouldn't be an issue with the stairs going down. Good point about moving furniture into the master though.

I might need to keep looking after all. If anyone knows of a 3500 sf 1 1/2 story farmhouse plan with a great layout I'd love to see it!

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

I'm not fond of this layout either. I do prefer your second. I like the idea of a fireplace in the dining area plus if you had a large family holiday meal and you needed to extend the table temporarily, you could use the family room space.

I don't like that the foyer doesn't have a coat closet that is convenient for guests.

The door to the master bedroom seems awkward.and perhaps can be switched with the closet? I would not like a door from the laundry room into the master bathroom, and it's better not to have the closet in the bathroom where the humidity from showering can affect your clothes. If you look for other plans, try to find one where the walk in closet is entered from the bedroom, not bathroom.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

skypathway - that's a good point about the bathroom entry to the master closet. I think the entry could be changed to the master bedroom to have one large closet. I don't mind sharing :-)

Do you think the little closet near the master is too far from the foyer? I thought that could be a coat closet.

I was actually liking the door from the master bath to the laundry and mud room. That way when DH is grungy from working outside or in the garage he can go straight to the laundry and shower!

I'm wondering if it might be best to hire a designer or architect to draw up plans instead of ordering an online plan and having so many modifications made. I'd like to save money on design costs but haven't found an online plan yet that gives us the 1st floor space we'd like to have. At least we have some time before we start building.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I actually like the layouts. Friends of ours have a second home where from the front, it looks like yours - long porch with entrance to the house and the MBR set back with French doors to the porch on the left side. That part of the porch is hardly ever used, and when they're having guests and someone might use it, they just close the drapes to the MBR. Their porch is continuous all around the house.

As for the master bath and closet,a I always thought having the entrance to the closet from the at broom made no sense...until I lived in a condo that had it set up that way and I loved it - it was very convenient to go right tp from the shower to the vanity to the closet and back to the vanity.

I would personally eliminate the door from the master bath to the laundry, but I also don't see it as a problem if you think it would be useful.

Re the coat closet, you might consider moving the powder room to where the vacuum closet is now, and put the coat closet where the powder room is and the broom closet where the coat closet was.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input re the master bedroom opening into the porch, sjhockeyfan. Great ideas about switching all the closets.

I made those changes and a few others suggested above. So, now the coat closet is near the foyer and the broom closet is closer to the kitchen. I opened up the master bedroom door a bit more by switching it with the closet and closed the door from the master to the laundry.

Option A shows a powder room near the foyer closet. That seemed to leave quite a bit of wasted hallway space so I to made it a 3/4 bath in Option B. We'll have a daybed wit trundle in the office for overflow guests so that might be nice to have.

Any thoughts on these changes?

Option A with powder room

Option B with 3/4 bathroom

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I would do you first layout. Love the FP & windows for the dining.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, eandhl! I love the fireplace and windows in the dining room also. I am leaning towards this version with the dining in the keeping room and the kitchen in the middle.

Any thoughts on the last two options I posted, one with a powder room and the other with a 3/4 bath?

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I like option A. It brings a closet closer to front door. I would not add a hall to open open powder rm door. It doesn't seem like a shower there is needed and I always like larger closets.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks eandhl - I also like larger closets. Including sufficient storage space in our new home is important to me. We had very little storage space in our current house until we added a large cleaning closet and coat closet to the front entry during a remodel.

I love having a designated walk-in closet for the vacuum, broom, mop bucket, extra paper towels and light bulbs, etc. Now that I've been spoiled with sufficient storage space I can't go back!

• railmomma2
    9 years ago

juddgirl2 Did you decide to use this house plan? If so, what changes did you ultimately decide to make? Thank you!

• cummingsab85
    8 years ago

Would love to know if the OP ended up building this plan. Also, what changes were incorporated. TIA!!