Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Sheafback Dining Room chairs

sooey
10 years ago

Hi Kids,

I am looking at a new dining room set but it comes *as is* with Sheaf back chairs. I love the set but I have little experience with the sheaf back. The lines of the chairs are very straight which make me doubt their comfort for long dinners. I know I tend to over think issues like this so I would be very interested in your thoughts. Any experience you would like to share?
Thank you in advance.

sooey

Comments (8)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Are you considering purchasing a dining room 'set' that comes complete with chairs like these in the pictures?

With no other criteria about your home, the dining room, items already in the room, all I can say that this appears to be a nice table and chairs, though it might be more appropriate in a kitchen rather than a formal dining room.

I personally do not like matching tables and chairs for most dining rooms and kitchens, though they are always easier to purchase that way.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would not buy any dining chairs (or sofa, etc.) without being able to test them out first.

• sooey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kids,
    Thank you for your response and beverly27, those are very close to the chairs in question.
    My question was as to the comfort of these chairs. We like having dinner parties and we find that our guests enjoy time at the table that is not rushed or hurried. I want chairs that are comfortable and that our guests will enjoy sitting in, sometimes up to 2.5 hours.
    Thanks, Kids.
    sooey

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I have similar chairs that are very comfortable but I'd hesitate to assume that comfort is the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. A small change in proportion or the seat shape or the angle of the back could impact that.

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

We had sheaf-back chairs in a previous nook and found that the wood seat was comfortable and the back not uncomfortable, but I wouldn't want to sit in them for hours unless they had the seats padded...preferably with upholstered cushions rather than just loose ones...and not sure how the back would feel since I don't recall leaning back a great deal. I think as beverly mentioned, it's also somewhat casual. If comfort is a major concern, you might want to look elsewhere for more of an upholstered style.

• sooey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for you help and comments. I appreciate both your time and consideration. I have Lots to think about.
    sooey

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

If you are insinuating that an upholstered back is more comfortable, I'd say not always. Are you able to try sitting in them?

• karoloke
    10 years ago

I was looking at dining chairs a few years ago and found the sheaf back chairs that I tried at Ethan Allen and an unfinished furniture store were among the most comfortable type of wooden chairs that I tried. The ladder back ones were the ones I found to be most uncomfortable because the horizontal pieces often hurt my back.