Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Fall Decor 2014

nhb22
9 years ago

I didn't see a Fall decor thread for this season, so thought I would start.

Although the front Fall d�cor of my house looks almost the same as it did last year, it was my project today. The pumpkins flanking the front porch came from a pumpkin patch within sight of my backyard. The greenery came off of my evergreens.

Anyone else decorating this year - inside or outside?

Comments (52)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. The delight in my grandsons eyes when he saw my pumpkins last night was priceless and well worth the effort.

I realized what a terrible photo I submitted. It's all driveway! Below is a close-up.

Fun2BHere - I decorated my table last year with various pumpkins...some glass. Since we are not going to be home for Thanksgiving this year, I didn't bother. Last year, I took down the décor and turned around with Christmas.. Lot's of work. I'll see if I can find a photo from last year. I do believe I posted one on here

Come on...surely I cannot be the only one that has done any Fall decorating?

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I love the stacked pumpkins . Thankyou for posting your pics I can,t wait to show my daughter. I put a few things out but we have had a really rare warm dry fall here so I,m not doing as much this year. It still seems like summer with all the sun we have had.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Love me some autumn decorating!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love the close-up of your urns with tiered pumpkins and greenery, Newhomebuilder, and can just imagine how entranced your grandson was by the display.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't decorated yet but thought I'd share this funny prank my husband heard about on the radio last week. A mom and dad bought a tiny little (fit in the palm of your hand) pumpkin for their young child and "planted" it in a bowl of water and set it on the front porch. The next day they asked the child if she had checked on the pumpkin. When she opened the front door, there was a HUGE pumpkin in it's place (lol) I wish my grandchildren were young enough beleive it grew like that over night :)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That story is too cute! My grandson is not quite old enough to understand that a pumpkin "might" grow that large overnight. I am try that next year. :)

CarolT924 - Very Fall-ish looking porch you have. ;)

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 15:34

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Ok. I'll play.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Southern CA with temperatures at 95+F the last 2 weeks ... pumpkins placed outside turn to mush in a few days! Who needs fall decor when the Bougainvilleas are flowering like crazy!

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

We are expected to get fall temps next week-we're experiencing above average temps, so all my summer flower baskets and planters are still going strong. Even have roses conintuing to bloom.

But next weekend I do plan to start my fall decorating. Can't wait!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nutsaboutplants - Thanks for playing along. Nice porch arrangement!

chispa and pesky1 - Yes, we have things still in bloom, but we were expecting, and did get, a frost overnight Saturday/Sunday. It pained me to cut out the flowers in my urns, but they were getting scraggly anyway. I put the flowers in vases in my kitchen to continue to enjoy.

There is always indoor decorating. I am really surprised that no one has shown their interiors. Here is my Fall tablescape from last year. Seeing the photos makes me want to get it all out and decorate again. However, with the new puppy, and jury duty (3 month session) I just don't have the time or energy. Plus, I feel sure that some of that silver needs to be polished again!

• jellyben
    9 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I love the pumpkin topiaries! Is it as simple as stacking them on top of each other(not secured)? I feel like I would always be chasing knocked-over pumpkins around the porch!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep! We had a really high wind yesterday. I was sure they would blow over, but they stood tall. ;)

• jellyben
    9 years ago

Thanks! I might give it a try.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Here's my fall decorated tree. I saw one at Hobby Lobby last year and thought, "What a great idea!"

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's so cute! Wjat a clever idea...And, it matches the bag that you have stuck in your spindles. :)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Removed for duplicate post (but I can't completely remove it) Sorry

This post was edited by monicakm on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 14:19

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My Fall Tree isn't looking so good this year. I think the flowers have about seen their better days but I was excited as this year I bought purple, orange and green lights instead of the clear and orange I've used in years past. Can't get a picture I'm pleased with so I'm submitting my 2012 Fall Tree. Looks good with just the lights on it. I may try to find some new fall flowers. I don't do much. Just the tree, some light wrapped Fall garland and my Fall and Halloween Scentsy warmers.

This post was edited by monicakm on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 14:16

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am amazed with these Fall trees. I've never seen them before...beautiful! I don't think that I will be decorating a Fall tree, though. A Christmas tree is hard enough for me.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

deleted because the photo wouldn't show...(you didn't miss much).

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by maddielee on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 16:21

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 13:43

• andrewwilliams
    9 years ago

I love this wreath for fall decor!

Here is the link to purchase!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lulu Designer Wreaths

• andrewwilliams
    9 years ago

This is great for fall too!

Link below to purchase!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lulu Designer Wreaths

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Well, these are for eating, but they are pretty good looking also. Grown in our garden.

I have to get a picture of the neighbor's house down the road. Every year they replace the lights on their pilasters with pumpkin lights. They are so cute!

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Spam.

This post was edited by LucyStar1 on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 0:37

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I really like rtwilliams' groupings. What are those green things with the lettering?

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Violet.west - Those are hedge apples, at least that is what I have always called them being from Kansas. I believe they have many names depending on where you live. They are abundant in rural areas of Kansas because the hedge trees where planted years ago in rows to help fence in live stock because the trees are very thorny and tough called a hedge row.

http://www.pinterest.com/hunnibunni1951/hedge-balls-osage-oranges-hedge-apples-etc/

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maddielee - :)

rtwilliams - You really went all out. Love it!

hoovb - Those are very nice. What are they called? My neighborhood farm had all sorts of different shapes and colored pumpkins for sale. I bought mine from the farm.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

gah, GW. Always disappearing my responses!

Thanks for the response about the hedge apples. Would need an alternative around here.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

gah, GW. Always disappearing my responses!

Thanks for the response about the hedge apples. Would need an alternative around here.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty everyone :) I have no decorating talent AT ALL. I don't know where my daughter gets it (lol)

Those large green apples...we call them "horse apples" in Texas.

• jellyben
    9 years ago

Here is my porch. The big pumpkin on the right I just got at Homegoods and I adore it! The dying jack o lantern on the left is courtesy of my over-eager 6yo!
    My big planters are looking a little haggard so I might make the pumpkin topiaries as newhomebuilder did.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like your BIG jack-o-lantern and you other lanterns.!

hoovb - I asked you about your green pumpkins because I had never seen them before. I opened up the latest edition of Southern Living last night, and they feature an outdoor windowscape ...with the green pumpkins. It was beautiful! Still don't have a name for them, though.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I love decorating for the holidays, all of them, and have collected some special ones over the years. BUT, we've just gotten back from a 9-day vacation back to my home state of Michigan AND I unfortunately have to have another surgery on my right hand next Thursday morning (not fun!). So, I hope that you'll forgive me for posting some pics of my Autumn decs from last year. Nothing new bought or made since then. I'm just not sure that I'm going to be able to get them up this year.
    Lynn

My dining room table set for a typical Autumn dinner.

I made these several years ago:

The buffet in our dining room:

Or like this:

Our built-in dining room hutch set up for coffee and tea:

One of several Autumn-type birds I decorate with this time of year:

• User
    9 years ago

I am not going to scare anyone with my idea of fall decorating, lol, but I LOVE all these pictures of Fall décor, inside and out!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

One more. I took this pic of the view from our back bedroom windows of our mountains in the Fall. My Maximillan Sunflowers are in bloom. IMO, no need for other Fall decorations back there!
    Lynn

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I have to say I've cut waay back on holiday decorating, because of the storage issue. I have no place/no desire to store quantities of seasonal stuff. One or two boxes -- fine. Anything more than that is too much.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn - Your home is always so pretty...and that view! Good luck with your surgery.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Everyone's is so pretty, here's my humble tribute to Fall on the front porch. The big red coleus I had tucked down inside the urn got frost bit, so I replaced it with some Indian corn today.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WHAT A GREAT IDEA TO PUT THE CORN IN YOUR URN. (sorry, I didn't realize that my CAPS lock was on)

Last weekend, a lady stopped my husband in the front of our house and said to tell his wife that she loved my pumpkin topiaries. :)

Anymore decorating this week?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The blue pumpkins are Jarrahdale, an heirloom pumpkin from Australia. The seeds are widely available. These pumpkins are also good for eating.

Here are the lights on the house down the road (not my house).

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

lynninnewmexico - This has been my favorite picture so far: Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 15:27. Best wishes for the surgery, so sorry you are going through.

Newhomebuilder - love the pictures and especially the thought of how much DGS enjoyed. Please post some costume pictures :)

monicakm - loved your story. We have something similar - a few years ago, while doing the rounds and going up to a house into which new neighbors had recently moved, the kids were non-plused to be presented at the door with a beautiful tray of vegetables and told to take their pick (broccoli, carrots, asparagus, garlic... :).

Betty and Chuck - we love you!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea what DGS is going to be this year, or even if I will see him.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 12:10

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hoovb - The lanterns are so cute, and I love the home of your neighbors.

Here is the photo of the "blue" pumpkins in Southern Living. Thank you for the information on the Jarrahdale's.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure how, but I double posted.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 9:34

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sad news. Two of my lower pumpkins have rotted. Threw them out with the trash tonight. We are down to two on each side and they do not look very cute. I had planned to leave them up until Thanksgiving, but....

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Wonder what made them rot NHB? I thought they were artificial, they were so perfect. That probably explains why I couldn't find any artificial ones like the large ones.

I'll go take a picture of mine in a moment.

VioletWest, we call that green, bumpy fruit a horse apple around here. Actually, it's the fruit from a Maclura pomifera aka Bois d'arc, aka Osage Orange, aka bowwood, aka naranjo chino. It's grown across much of the U.S. so chances are it's near you. Easy to spot this time of year because of the littering of fruit on the ground. (p.s. the fruit is inedible to humans but has many therapeutic properties). Trees grown around here are rather ugly, with leaves that look like they have some kind of pox. They are a much more attractive tree in cooler states.

Here's my porch and foyer, and all the attempts I have made at decorating. Kind of seems silly to decorate when I haven't finished painting. I could tell you I was going for an artsy shot with these photos, but the truth is I wasn't paying enough attention to keep it level.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 11:10

• amykath
    9 years ago

A neighbor and friend mixed it up a little. Pretty funny!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Around here, those green balls are called Osage Oranges. For other gardeners, I have linked to more info. We have the trees all around here in the northern VA area. I gather the fruit when we walk the dogs at the seminary across the street from us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osage orange tree

• nhb22
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - That is hilarious!

marti8a - Pretty decorated porch and foyer. ;)

The pumpkins are real. I thought that I mentioned they came from the patch in the field behind my house.

I am not sure why they started rotting. It almost looked like something had taken a few bites out of them.