Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Spacing Frames - Multi Prints Hung Together

arbpdl
9 years ago

Quick question (yes, I know, I owe all you wonderful people some progress pictures! Soon, I promise)

Anyway, I scored a set of Four Seasons prints by Warren Kimble this morning at a garage sale. I adore his work but have zero budget for accessories/art so this is a huge deal for me. I got the entire series for $10. Woo Hoo!

So now I'm home and trying to hang them above my buffet and am not sure on the spacing. The buffet is 6' wide and fills the width of the wall fairly fully. The ceiling are tall so I've a big squarish blank expanse behind the buffet.

I was going to hang these side by side, spring summer fall and winter but now I'm not sure on either the height or the spacing between each one.

I'm posting a pic of the prints. They are 8" wide, including the 1" wide frame and 28" tall. Now I'm not sure if I should try varying them or simply hanging them in a row (which seems too modern somehow)

Comments (22)

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, my frames are hunter green instead of black.

I have a clock (black) and also a couple wooden shelves I could add the mix. I've googled templates but everything seems to feature frames of different sizes and the ones that show a series like this simply line them all up in a row. That seems way narrow for my wide space, plus kind of modern and boring. :/

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Straight across & spread out? don't really like

This post was edited by beth0301 on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 15:15

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another straight, maybe some candle holders on the side? Not necessarily those, that's just what was within reach

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maybe have the center two higher?

I don't know, everything just looks to contrived and too "perfect", would like it balanced, yes, but maybe less boring and expected.

What if I left out "winter" which is my least favorite print. Not that it's not pretty, it is, but the other three have much more similar coloring. If I had three it might seem less formal? but, if I do that, it's a narrower grouping on a wide wall. :( Why do the simple things hang me up so?

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about one high, three low and then find something horizontal to hang above the three? Not a precise tight fit like a puzzle, something more relaxed

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nah, people will think I was drinking when I hung them lol

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maybe something above the middle two, something relaxed fitting?

Oh my goodness someone please come shoot me, this should NOT be this stinking difficult.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I love those prints! You scored big time! Congratulations!

I so wanted this set when they first came out. Now I have hope of finding them, too.

I would not leave one out; they are the "Four Seasons." It would seem odd - to me - to have only two or three of the four seasons.

I'm boring and predictable; I would hang them all straight across as in your first photo. However; I love the "one high; three low" idea. I would make/find/buy a horizontal plaque referencing "...to every thing there is a season..." from Ecclesiastes to hang above the "three low" prints.

I have two sets of circa-1960s "Four Seasons" plaques like this. One set is square, like these; the other set is long ovals. I plan to spray paint them. If I may, I may steal a page from your book and try hanging the "one high; three low" with them.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

What nice prints! I think creating an arrangement with more art will be nice, because the mass of them together still doesn't feel like quite enough to stand up to the piano. I kind of like the idea of one higher than the rest...cheeky!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

All together, straight across, closer together then you have them in the first picture.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I agree with Marcolo-All four straight across about 1-2 inches apart and only a few inches above your furniture piece.

Caroline-I have the fall and winter of the plaques you posted, sadly another shopper got spring and summer before I could get to them on the goodwill shelf. I hang each one during it's season as part of a picture arrangement in my foyer. Not paid for a buck a piece.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How funny, I guess the "rules" really aren't rules ... so many different opinions! I feel better, at least now I know whichever way I choose, at least someone agrees with me and I'm not a total weirdo.

Loving how everything is coming together .... if only my doggie hadn't eaten my roll of painter's tape I would have finished another big project today and had a few pix to share (not completed room, just a good hunk of progress).

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Straight across, close together.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Off topic: Marcolo welcome back!!!!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Straight line -- all together -- quite tightly spaced ..... THEN add a pair of candle lamps (or a single round pottery lamp to the left-hand side) to the buffet itself -- plus a large wood bowl filled with pine cones or small white pumpkins (or both) in the middle of the buffet .....

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Yes, I also like them best in a straight line.
    I like those prints!
    :)

• marcolo
    9 years ago

No hijack intended--thanks ellendi!

Also agree that more stuff may be required, but don't spread them out just to fill up the space.

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

Hang them close together in a straight line. I had a similar problem with 3 pictures, positioned them and moved them, again and again. Ended up with them close together in a straight line.

• User
    9 years ago

Very nice prints! I would space them straight across and closer together. More like the stock photo.

• User
    9 years ago

Imo they are not really suited for the space over your piano. Do you have a wall where they can be placed somewhat lower? And then they should be arranged in a row, with the space between each print not more than 1.5 or 2 times the width of the frame.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

what marcolo said.

• lionors
    9 years ago

I echo everyone's "close together, straight line" vote, but you don't have to center them over the buffet.

You don't need symmetry, but you do need balance. If the prints are left of center, you need something tallish on the right side of the buffet. Candles or a lamp, dried flowers in a vase, or something sculptural.