Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Which fabric do you like?

Sueb20
9 years ago

I have also ordered a few samples online so these aren't the only choices, but they are the samples I have in my house at the moment. I am having the seat cushions in my kitchen window seat re-covered. In addition to the window seat, we also have two black wooden chairs whose seats were recently re-covered and I am not re-doing them, so they stay as-is. The base of the kitchen table is also black (it's a repurposed old sewing meachine treadle). So initially I was liking the idea of having some black in the window seat fabric, but I didn't find a whole lot that I liked. I could match the fabric on the chairs, of course, but I'm trying to be more creative -- I do have two throw pillows on the window seat made from the same fabric on the chairs, though.

Sorry I have to post the pics one at a time.

Here's one I like a lot.

Comments (45)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are a few reasons why I like the above fabric -- one of them is for its nice coordination with the sitting area rug that's nearby! Look, there is almost the same shape in the same color in the rug pattern (which is totally accidental -- I wasn't thinking that much about the rug).

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could also do a simple black and white check, which gives me more leeway with throw pillows (I have a lot of pillows on the window seat, at least some of which will be replaced).

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this one I picked out for a fun option, and it's also an indoor-outdoor fabric so it would be very durable, but I think I'd probably regret it in about two weeks when the novelty wore off.

I don't know why my pics are almost all sideways.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought this was pretty for a lighter option, but once I got it home, I was sort of 'meh' about it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture of the room?

• User
    9 years ago

Hi, I like the one you like, with the circles. Beautiful, rich looking. Also appears to be durable.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like the first one, the sort of moroccan shape, and i like tthe last one a lot, too. To me, the check is the wrong mood and the dots veer a bit toward Minnie Mouse. : )

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I agree with first and the last choices.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

1. Throw Pillow fabric is fantastic, I think using it on the bench as well as the chairs would look good and use the other fabric you like for more pillows.
    2. The fabric in picture number one.
    In that order.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

#1 and #4, but I think that the last choice would wear better...not get as dirty.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 15:16

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I like the last one the best. It is neutral with the rug and you could play with different throw pillows for the season

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I like the first one and the last one equally well.

• jshore
    9 years ago

I like the first one and last one. I love your rug!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Love, love, LOVE the first one!

• bac717
    9 years ago

One of the reasons I like the 4th fabric is the scale. Altho the first fabric is nice, the scale is very close to the pillow fabric (which you said is the fabric on the chairs that will not be recovered, right?)

I love the rug, too! Can you tell me a little bit more about it? It might be what I need in my living room! Thanks.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Sue I have the pillow at the top...really really love it. Nice fabric! It looks good with a bold stripe.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 18:34

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I am the only one that likes the black and white check.

This post was edited by ellendi on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 19:32

• reggier29
    9 years ago

I'm with ellendi... was thinking exact same thing!

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Black and white check!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

To me the problem with the check is that it's too small. I think it might read grey from across the room.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Black and white check for me too. I don't like the scale of the print or the color of the first fabric with your rug. I think you'd have a hard time with pillows too. Ditto what Mtn said about the polka dot. I can't tell on my monitor if you have the color of the last one in your rug. It's reading a greenish/gold to me. I don't see enough of the color in your pillow to tie it all in.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Black and white check for me too. I don't like the scale of the print or the color of the first fabric with your rug. I think you'd have a hard time with pillows too. Ditto what Mtn said about the polka dot. I can't tell on my monitor if you have the color of the last one in your rug. It's reading a greenish/gold to me. I don't see enough of the color in your pillow to tie it all in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry, if it were mine, I don't think I'd select any of them...
    :(

The first, the scale is too similar
    The second and third, I'm with mtnrd (yes minnie mouse!)
    The fourth is ok, but not so interesting

I'd try a textured gray fabric that's similar to the background

Or maybe a stripe that picks up on the colors in the pillow.

Or a fabric with an interesting texture

Or an ethnic vibe to go with the vibe in the pillow

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can't respond to everyone right now, but before I forget -- bac, it's a Nourison Nourmak (flat weave) rug. I have 3 of them! They wear great, esp with pets.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I still like a stripe with that pillow mixed with some texture solid.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 7:56

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the stripes, too, and when I went to the store I was initially looking partly for stripes, but didn't see any I like. Time to search another store! I also really wanted black in the fabric, but again, didn't see any that I really liked but now I am thinking even more that I really want some black in the fabric.

I am also having concerns about how #1 fabric is going to wrap around the cushion, so at the moment I am thinking for sure, a couple of pillows in the #1 fabric because I do love it, but back to the drawing board on the seat-cushion fabric.

Again with the sideways pic.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone asked for a pic of the room, so here is one very UNstaged pic (see all the pill bottles on the kitchen counter for our sick bulldog?). It is one long room with kitchen at one end and sitting area/kitchen table in the middle, and desk area and mudroom at the other.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'm a sucker for polka dots...maybe in a different color?

• User
    9 years ago

Black and white check! Agree that the scale of the first fabric is too similar to both the pillow and the rug, and I also think the Moroccan look has peaked. Maybe you could use the first fabric for placemats or a table runner.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I like the black and white but I would like to see a larger format check, maybe a buffalo check.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually what I like about the b&w is that it reads as almost a solid from a distance.

Kswl, placemats and runners...if only. This table is used for far too much activity for pretty things!

Of course the b&w fabric is more than twice as much $ as any of the others.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Check out the reverse side of the other fabric...for a couple of pillows.

Add in a couple striped pillows in the right colors, or maybe a solid with black trim?

• User
    9 years ago

Perfect, I love the combination you just posted! Like the Moroccan fabric much better on the reverse, esp for a pillow.

"Of course the b&w fabric is more than twice as much $ as any of the others."
    We have a special talent for sussing out the most expensive fabric, didn't you know??

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love it too! and lol at kswl. :)

I am sure i have mentioned it before, but I just LOVE that painting in your family room.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like that grouping also. Count me in as one who likes the b&w

• bac717
    9 years ago

Thank you sue, for the info on the rug. I'll checkout the Nourison website.

Good luck with your fabric search. It can be overwhelming, can't it?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Usually I find this all pretty easy but I find it helpful to get all your opinions! And what throws me here is that I know this is a commitment -- not like a pillow that I might get tired of after a couple of years. The seat cushion is large and pricey to cover, and it's been 9 years since we've covered it so I'm sure we won't redo it again for a long time!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to follow up -- decision has been made and it's kind of safe and boring, but feels right! I decided to step back on the pattern for the seat cushion so I could go wild with pillows.

Below is the seat cushion fabric. It is a perfect combination of the wall color in the room (gray-green) and my trim/cabinet color (cream). And, it's an indoor/outdoor fabric so it will wear well.

For pillows, I will have the black/multi print that matches the chair seats -- I have 3 of those -- as well as 2 pillows made from the Moroccan print fabric on the "wrong" side (darker side shown in last pic above). I still have 2-3 other pillows and will get something more solid for those, preferably "over the counter" pillows from Pottery Barn or Target since I am already spending $$$ on this plus new window treatments in the dining room (because I am having the dining room painted, and we all know that if you have a room painted, you then need new window treatments...and a new rug...and might as well get new dishes too...).

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you're pattern shy, don't look, but I am also getting this fabric for one side of one pillow (will back it with the seat-cushion fabric, because it's a lot less $$). I just have to have it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like it, and love the owls! Great choices, IMO.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my heavens, the owls are precious!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Sue - do you sew at all? Pillow covers are so easy to make. I even learned how to do the piping (cording). I have a slight pillow obsession, so love being able to change out pillows on a whim!

Glad you chose those pillow fabrics. Would love to see a couple of the b&w in the pillow mix too.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I would go with a more subdued pattern on the window seat and let your pillows shine. I LOVE the pattern - on the chair too. Then throw in some solids

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

christy, that is exactly my plan.

I do not sew. I have tried. I'd rather pay my very reasonable sewing friend to make everything for me, including simple pillows!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Those owls are so darn cute, and so "you" (as if I knew)!
    They are the kind of element one comes across that can drive every other decision.

Have fun!