Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Custom drapery vs RH

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I came across a drapery panel that I thought would work in the beachhouse, and it was from RH. A friend had similar ones that I liked in her house and I figured that'd be a cheap route.

So I ordered one panel. I liked them but didnt love them, and then I started to think --- hey, are these such a bargain?

One 96x48 panel, lined, silk taffeta inverted pleat, was $500. So $1000 a window. I know, of course, that it depends on the fabric, but I don't think that seems screaming cheap. I am guessing I could have them made for that amount, and choose precisely what I want.

Since my CT house has virtually zero WT, and the last time I did WT for another home it was through a decorator with a bunch of other stuff, i don't recall what WT should cost.

Opinions --- is premade RH a bargain or not?

TIA

Comments (16)

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I think that sounds pretty expensive. Our drapery people here charge $160.00 for two pinch pleat panels. That does not include fabric, liner or hardware. So yes, what you pick for fabric is going to make a big difference.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The window treatment for my kitchen window is running 1400 but it is a triple window that is 96" (3) 32 inch windows in a row. I think I would find a reputable custom drapery person and be able to choose what I want in style and fabric. You will spend more but you will be employing a local craftsman, supporting the local economy, and will have much more control regarding the final outcome.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oh, meant to add....I did price out some online custom drape places but they were quite a bit more than RH.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

I've always purchased from Village Workroom in Pennsylvania. I priced a taffeta panel for you, 96 long, 2 widths, interlined, and their price is $344. I don't know if RH is interlined.

I've purchased from them 6 or 7 different times, and have always been really happy with the quality and customer service. My last order he made from a Houzz photo, with covered buttons between the pleats.

I especially like that I can get any length I want, not just 84 or 96.

Give him a call and see what he can do for you. I like supporting small businesses, as I think you do, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Village Workroom

• chispa
    10 years ago

The RH panels seem very "cheap" compared to what I paid for custom panels last year. A large portion of the price I paid were the Schumacher and Kravet fabrics I used.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your input.

You can bet RH is not using Kravet fabric!

I think I can conclude that, for what Id be getting, 500 a panel, while certainly not pricey for WT, probably isnt much less then what id pay for the equivalent in custom.

But Dee, you hit the nail on the head! Local! Certainly over RH. I would rather pay more and support someone local. And in fact I just found someone very local in an on-line search! Thanks for that idea. (And yes, I am trying to go local, handmade and/or vintage when I can.. this was an easy one, can't believe I almost blew it)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Good for you ... I hate supporting that flaky RH CEO and haven't bought anything there in years!

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

There is nothing like custom made drapes. I find RH drapes and hardware very expensive for the quality.

Check out Rejuvenation for hardware. They sell complete rod sets and they customize the rod to width size.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Good girl for checking out your local ;-)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

So glad you are going custom and supporting your local economy!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Dee...thanks for the tip for Village Workroom...had never heard of them.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

deeinohio - Thanks for the recommendation and link to Village Workroom.

I often have trouble visioning what the finished product will look like so I'd much rather visit to get ideas. It's about an hour from me so I will definitely check them out - and visit my brother and his family who live in Doylestown.

Thanks, Maire

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maire ---
    MY brother and his family live in Doylestown! Do we have the same brother? LOL

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Joanie and maire: You're welcome!

An internet search looking for custom silk panels led me to Gardenweb about 10 years ago, where another GWer recommended Village Workroom. I try to recommend them whenever I get an opportunity:)

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

mtn - Oh how funny. We used to live in Bucks County and it's still one of my favorite places but it breaks my heart to drive to Yardley or New Hope and see how many old farms have been bought for housing developments.

What part of Bucks County did you live in? DH retires in a few months and we're considering moving back across the Delaware. Newtown has always appealed to me.

Maire