Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tapasnut_gw

Chandelier size & ideas for dining room w/ high ceilings

tapasnut
9 years ago

We're looking for a new chandelier for our dining room. The room is open to the foyer, stairway and adjacent formal living room. The room itself is about 11 1/2' x 10' and the current table is 36" wide. So, based on the size of the room an table, a 21-24" wide chandelier is recommended. Will that be too small given the tall ceilings? To give you an idea the current light is about 30" wide.

We'd like to do something more formal so was thinking one of these (the first is 23" wide and the second is 30 (but they also have a smaller size). But we're not totally sold on either if you have other recs.

This post was edited by tapasnut on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 16:03

Comments (16)

• User
    9 years ago

The current chandelier is too small and too high. Ideally it should hang about three feet above your table, and if your table is 36" wide the 30" wide chandelier would probably look great. I probsbly wouldn't go smaller than a 27". You have more volume in the room than length or width, looks like. So I would use the volume for a nice light. I like the ones you've posted.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

if your current chandy is 30", I don't think I would go smaller than that... a 2 tier light would look best with the tall ceilings, imo... the 2nd light you show is better than the 1st, but I would probably look for something taller....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I don't think you should have a chandelier smaller in diameter than what you currently have. See image with the chandelier lowered to a better height.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We have a similar situation in our dining room where the table is smaller but the ceiling is higher so look for a chandy with some height to it.

I agree that the one you have now is too small and hung so high as to have little relationship with the table. Hung with the bottom at 60", it will have a stronger relationship with the table, so the proportion will look better. Make sure too it is centered over the table. Hard to tell, but in the picture it looks off.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Because of the volume of your ceilings, you should look for a chandelier that is taller than it is wide. Here are some examples of chandeliers that have better proportions than those you selected.

• tapasnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks very much everyone! I'm glad I asked or I might have picked something too small. A couple more ideas:

This is the larger version of the first option I picked (it also comes in bronze):

Here's another option with more height but I wonder if it's too traditional for the space (Maria Theresa style chandelier with polished gold):

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think with the style of your home and your furniture selection, you should consider a contemporary chandelier with a bit of bling,

Not a traditional chandelier with a lot of bling.

• tapasnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks beverly27. I hear you 100% about picking something more contemporary, but I'm just not as drawn to them. I've always wanted a classic crystal chandelier. Can I make it work with the room (that I know is more transitional)? I'm not adverse to new chairs or something else to blend the styles better. Or picking a chandelier in chrome or silver (and changing out the brass foyer light to coordinate better) if that would look more modern. Our china and crystal is also very traditional (family antiques) if that helps tie things in better. But I do get that the room itself has a 90's vibe.

This post was edited by tapasnut on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 18:47

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Well tapsnut, it's your home and you should have what you want. I think something perhaps in bronze without the crystal bobeche on each candle would be less full traditional and a bit more transitional, like this one from Murray Feiss. Avoid the Slovakian and Italian crystal chandeliers.

BTW, what spacing is off in your room? The window, rug & table should be placed exactly in alignment with the chandelier, and that never happens in any of the photos I adjust. What's on that left wall and can you either move the rug and the table or eliminate that piece of furniture?

Also that one lonely picture on the opposite wall is too small for this room. Either put together a grouping or get a larger piece of art for this wall. The room could use a bit more texture. This will supply it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't think the heavy crystal-laden chandeliers work because the room feels casual with it open to the entry and having a large picture window. Is it open to another room on the left? The placement feels like a kitchen nook. I wonder if hanging the drapes higher might help elongate the wall, give some balance to the light, and make the room feel more formal. Maybe richer drapes? Paint the DR a different color to separate it from the stairwell? Should the paint go up to the ceiling? I also think the table is the culprit but the chairs are fine.

I'm not a crystal person but I really like the chandy Beverly posted at 18:06 with the chains. Good open structure that preserves the view out the window.

• amykath
    9 years ago

How about something airy and light yet large?

• tapasnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the honest advice. The furniture on the left is small china cabinet with our crystal barware on display. I don't have to keep it here, but I'm not sure there's another great place for it in the house. Behind that there's a doorway to the kitchen + breakfast nook.

I'd hate to redo the drapes since we just got them and they were pricey. They are pinch pleated dupoini, so while not heavy, they are not quite as casual as they appear in the photo (although they really need a good press still). We did think about going taller with them, but got talked out of it at the store, since they said that raising the hardware too far above the window would put it in no man's land--just kind of floating disconnected from the window.

I hadn't thought about painting the angled portion of the walls all the way to the ceiling. We've kind of been treating it as a giant tray ceiling and considered that angled part the ceiling. Maybe extending the painted part would help bring the ceiling down a bit?
    I also like the idea of more/larger art on wall for texture.

aktillery--I like the light you posted. Do you know who makes it?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Yes it is "Quorum International 6006-9-70 Persian White Salento 9 Li"

It is at Wayfair and Build.com I would look around for the best price. When you put that quotation in google you will see they have tons of shapes and sizes if you click on calibex.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

No specific suggestions, but I don't think light and airy is the way to go. You really need something with presence to bring the ceiling down.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No need to paint any higher. You are correct the slanted portion is ceiling and should stay that color. The drapes can stay at this height, but if you're looking for a way to add some pattern to the room, you could consider an upholstered cornice board.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking the painting the slanted wall/ceiling idea would only darken the room. Not what I would want. I think it would also close in the room. You have a nice ceiling height--but not an overly large room so I wouldn't want to work against what the vault is giving you. I am LOVING the cornice solution, but then I have wood cornices on all my important windows.