Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20021230

Loving this layering

User
9 years ago

A library in a NYC townhse designed by ID Ann Pyne/McMillien,Inc. featured in the Nov 2014 issue of Elle Decor

Comments (14)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for posting it.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I finally had a chance to open this magazine today - caught my eye too!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love it! Love the mix of patterns without being matchy. something I am working on :) I also don't think this is depressing despite the darker colors overall. To me it is cozy.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Jim finds the best inspiration rooms! I feel like I'm in good company, with the pillow I made for a chair I re-did in April 2013...Compare to the screens - gave me chills!

• livvyandbella
    9 years ago

Love the room Jim.

my3dogs.....I love that pillow!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful room.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just because...

Another McMillen,Inc. designed room

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

The first room is exactly my style. Thanks so much for posting the pictures.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

It's not my personal style, but it's gorgeous. The wall color is outstanding and well done "faux".

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Interesting finish on first picture wall. The upper portion looks ragged and as you come down it looks cellophane-d and in parts it looks pallet knifedâ¦yet there is a sheen that causes reflection. So, I think that each glaze layer was gloss or a gloss was put on after fine sanding at end. Would love to know the technique.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 21:14

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The walls are Venetian plaster I am pretty sure, and the woodwork is lacquered. I think the more varied lower portion is just reflecting more stuff. I think it's probably consistent from top to bottom.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Hmmm, yet the second picture has more of a horizontal technique in parts.

Thanks Pal! Whatever the technique was there had to be extenders added for those big walls, and $$$$$ labor costs.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

My painters have done lacquered walls and the job they finished right before they did (ordinary) painting for me, they stopped at 7 coats with lots of sanding in between because the client said "enough". The painter said he might have gone 9 or 10.

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Chijim, I always love the pics you post of those richly layered rooms that feel so timeless, elegant and cozy. However, I'd personally feel claustrophobic in a room like that. Thanks for posting these pictures so we can drool over rooms that many of us can't personally create or relax in.