Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Help me make an upholstery choice before a sale ends!

MarinaGal
10 years ago

I have been planning to order a Mitchell Gold piece, the Hunter Lounge, for several weeks now but a sale is ending soon. My house was built in the 1910s and I have a mix of modern and traditional, but this would be one of the more modern pieces. I will use wooden legs, not the metal legs in the photo.

I found two fabrics in the color I am looking for, but I prefer the look of the fabric that is less expensive. This should be good news, but the less pricey fabric has a feel like chenille and is sort of thin - used in pillows in the showroom even though the MGBW staff swears it's okay on furniture. The other fabric is velvet (synthetic), heftier, but I don't like the look quite as much. However, it seems like it would hold its shape longer.

The more expensive velvet fabric might make this piece look even more sharp-edged and modern. The less expensive lighter weight fabric would soften its edges but would that be a good trade off? Will it get stretched out?

Both of the fabrics are called "Mink" so a chocolate brown.

I just need someone to help me make a decision - any past experience with a using a lightweight upholstery fabric on a non-slipcovered piece?

Here is a link that might be useful: MGBW Hunter Lounge

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, it's fab.

It looks like it should be velvet, to me.

Do you have swatches of the two on line?

I would not worry about the wear, I think MGBW stand behind their stuff. I just think the lines will look better in s sturdy fabric.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think simply having it in chocolate brown velvet will soften the lines and make it less stark and sharp. It's gorgeous.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I am not a fan of modern furniture but I love this piece! Chocolate velvet sounds wonderful.

I love the MGBW Odette and Rebecca Sofettes. I can't find their fabric choices. I would have to order it online because there isn't a brick and mortar store close by. I decided several weeks ago that if I have room in the library I want to add one of their sofettes.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, there's a Bloomie's in King of Prussia about an hour and a half to two hours away. I may have to take a road trip.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The King of Prussia mall, I remember it well growing up!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes Mtn. I do love that mall and go there every few years. Tyson's Corners in VA is about the same amount of time away but I like King of Prussia better.

• karoloke
    10 years ago

Beautiful sofa! I'm sure it would look stunning in both fabrics. Do the fabrics have a wearability rating? I've discovered when looking at fabrics with wearability ratings that it can sometimes be deceiving. If the chenille is really light weight, with a loose weave, it probably wouldn't wear very well. Someone once told me to hold the fabrics up and look to see how much light you can see coming through. Ones with tighter weaves that don't let much light through will generally wear better than those which allow more light to come through. If the chenille is a loose weave or feels stretchy, I'd be concerned that it might stretch or wear out sooner on the sofa. The velvet would probably wear better, but I suppose it could crush down eventually, too.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I bought a wing chair with lightweight upholstery off a fine furniture showroom floor. It looked great for years. Until I started using it routinely. I would not do that again. The fabric wore thin and thread bare. That was a professional's choice for fabric.

I selected a chenille for a window seat cushion from Calico Corners, not cheap imo but not that expensive either. Thirty something probably 15 years ago. It didn't wear well as a cat lounge, lol. The underside was done in a darker color same chenille to be reversible, winter colors, lol, and wow did that fade at the exposed edges! I wasn't able to flip it. UV windows of today might do better!

• MarinaGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to go with the velvet.

Mtn, there are no photos on line of the fabrics and I tried to take a photo of the swatches but I could not get the light to show the differences correctly. Re: Mitchell Gold - I love their furniture. I have purchased a lot from them over the years. I first learned about MG in 2000 b/c they used to make sofas for Pottery Barn and I was asking about the manufacturer. That sofa has been moved around over the past 13 years but is still going strong!

olychick and holly-kay - thanks for weighing in! I think in my heart I knew the velvet was the right choice, but it is more monochromatic than the other fabric which has a little striation in it.

snookums - that kind of feedback is just what I was looking for. I can't stand purchasing furniture that doesn't wear well.

I will definitely post photos when I get the piece in.

• donahuemc
    9 years ago

Did you ever order this piece? I'm thinking of ordering the same item in a lighter color velvet. Are you happy with it? Do you have pictures? Thanks!