Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtyshoes_gw

Should I get it or.....

dirtyshoes
9 years ago

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to purchase this Tell City dining set. I looove the lines of the chairs and I can see it already in my dining area. Not sure thought if I should bite the bullet and buy or not. It's going for $350.00.

Let's see if I can upload the picture....it's my first time.

Can't wait for your verdicts!

Comments (16)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I like it, and it looks perfect. Are the sides hinged? As far as price, I can't advise.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

The chairs don't look particularly comfortable.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's solid stuff. The chair backs are a bit upright and the through joinery of the leg making the seat corners higher can make the chairs uncomfortable for long-term seating.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I always advise against getting rush chairs, because if/when it starts unraveling, or tears, or whatever, you're kind of stuck. I also agree that those chairs tend to not be very comfortable. For $350, I'd keep looking.

• pugga
    9 years ago

Just had to chime in to say that is the exact dining room set my family had when I was growing up. My parents bought it around 1956 and had the chairs until at least the mid-1980s. We used four at the kitchen table and then had another two or four in the dining room, along with matching host chairs that had arms.

Three kids, various friends and animals lived with these. I don't remember them being particularly uncomfortable but they probably weren't all that comfortable either.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If you love it, get it! It's a good price for sturdy rock maple furniture :)

• dirtyshoes
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments....keep 'em coming!

Martin8a...the table is hinged on both sides. I haven't seen the table yet, but the owner said that the sides do come down.

I did sit in one of the chairs and it is comfortable, but don't know if the comfort would last through a meal.

Tibbrix, one of the reasons for my hesitation is about the rush seats. Although the owner says they've had it for many years. I sure wouldn't want to deal with re-doing them any time soon.

I'm going to see the table tomorrow. After looking at the photo, I'm not sure how much room there is for your legs at the ends of the table.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, it's a drop-leaf table. Handy if you don't have the room for a regular sized table and only want to open it as needed.

I think the photo is a bit deceptive, shoes. I believe that chair does scoot in between the legs. That way there is room for two diners when the leaves are dropped.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think it's wonderful and I love ladder back chairs with rush seats. My sheaf back chairs have rush seats and I love the way they look. You can use a pretty upholstered chair pad if you are concerned with the rush becoming soiled.

350 for a complete set is a steal. One new chair will run that or more.

• jjam
    9 years ago

I think it's great. Simple and straightforward, and solid as a rock, I'm sure. If the chairs are ok comfort wise (I don't think dining chairs, especially that style, should feel like barcaloungers) I'd get it in a heartbeat!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

They are attractive, but I never find those chairs comfy, and was unable to articulate why until I saw Pal's explanation:

"the through joinery of the leg making the seat corners higher can make the chairs uncomfortable for long-term seating."

Yes! I get poked!

• User
    9 years ago

I would get it. I had a very similar set in my last house. We had it for 16 years and never had a problem with the rush seats. I guess if you wanted to sit in them for hours, they might get uncomfortable, but for dinner seating I never found them to be a problem. I think that's a great price.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Ladder back chairs are the most uncomfortable dining chairs ever. I had a set of 8, sold them because they do not promote any lingering around the table for dining, playing games, anything.

• User
    9 years ago

Our set of DR maple furniture custom from E.A Clore Sons in Madison VA has rush seats. 3 kids and their friends and 35 years and I just had 2 redone. If you use soft pads they would be more comfortable but we have never had them and we sure have sat at this table for HOURS and talked as a family.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Trail, yours appear to have a slightly canted seatback and a wider splayed seat which can make all the difference.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh yes...you are very right pal..they are called mule back I believe. I was only commenting on the quality of the cane..sorry if I wasn't clear . Thank you ! c