Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomnorthjersey

Painted myself into a corner!

TomNorthJersey
10 years ago

Living room, dining room, stairs and upstairs hall need to be painted. I already painted the small entry before selecting other colors because it really needed it.

I chose BM Soleil. It looks really nice in that space, especially when the morning sun hits it so I don't want to change the color. Problem is I like that color for the stair walls and upstairs hall but something seems off when I look at all the rooms painted together. Not sure if having the entry and stairwell painted the same color works or not and would like input.

Dining room in the foreground is Labrador Blue, Polaris Blue, Exhale or something around there. Living room initially thought grey but changed to green (Grassland).

I made a quick rendering to compare. Would appreciate some opinions on what to do. Upstairs hall has dark stained trim with a reddish tone. I'd like to keep it light because it doesn't get much natural light and Soleil looks really good against the trim.

Not sure about the way it looks with the green living room. Here is a rendering of it.

Comments (19)

• TomNorthJersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is with a grey living room. I like the grey better and having yellow entry and stair wall doesn't seem to bother me as much. Grey was my initial plan but last time I painted grey it didn't look grey.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I really like the green. It seems to pull the floor and gold walls together. I think the grey looks harsh against the wood floor.

• woodie
    10 years ago

Green! Your 3 colors look great together and with the floor imho.

• KelliC
    10 years ago

The green definitely works better in your space.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

huh. don't like the green. Green + yellow is not a fave color combo . . . of mine. It may be yours.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

The green definitely works. In fact, the BM affinity recommendations pair the Soleil with Grasslands and Polaris Blue. They work together because the undertones are the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Soleil

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Love the combo with the green more than with the gray.

• TomNorthJersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The colors definitely work together as gooster pointed out the combination comes from BM. Polaris Blue was close to the blue I wanted so I played around with it.

One thing nobody has addressed yet is if it looks odd to have the entry and the stair walls the same color with the living room color in between them? I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

I think the green has a heavier feel than I want. I really don't want to get rid of the Soleil but I'm having a hard time bridging between it and a blue that I'd like.

Playing around with Soleil, Labrador Blue and either Winter Orchard or something a little darker.

I'm having trouble getting the rendering colors accurate so I had to edit them in photoshop.

• TomNorthJersey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went back to the Benjamin Moore color viewer to get a more accurate view of the colors.

Both color combinations look good to me. The green doesn't seem as dark as I thought. I'll probably have to do some samples and see how it looks in the actual room. If it's too dark probably go with a grey.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I don't like it with the grey. IMO it looks very cold. The green looks great with the other colors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could go a couple of shades darker than the labrador like BM west coast, or you could go with the gold tones like BM eye of the tiger.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

How about the Soleil for the LR? Do you already have furniture for it?

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i don't think i'd personally want a fairly bright yellow room next to a fairly bright green room next to a fairly bright blue room... though i think the colors all look great together.
    i actually have quite a bit of color in my house, but the rooms are alittle more separated and although the halls/foyer are gold, they are creamier and more neutral.

i prefer the lighter gray color combo for walls just because it looks alittle more neutral and i think i'd want more of a neutral between the colors- but that's just my personal taste.
    gray can be a hard color tho with the many undertones- the winter orchard looks like a good choice, but you would really need to see how it looks on your walls in your light, etc... to make sure it doesn't look too purple, pink, blue, etc.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

For me, it is the shade of blue that you picked. It feels off when viewing with the green and the yellow.

Green, yellow and blue can work well together, but IMHO, it's your choice of blue that is the problem.
    Also, I wouldn't do the gray. If you want gray than a yellow could go but maybe pick another color from one of Annie's design seeds?

Do YOU like the stairs wall a different color? For me, I would paint it the same as the living room. By painting it a different color, it makes it a focal point. Do you want your eyes to be drawn to the wall going up the stairs?

• abbycat9990
    10 years ago

I like the green! I also love Design Seeds.... We painted almost every room in our last house (minus lavender room for DD) with colors from the Affinity line. Love working with Aura paints and LOVED the earthiness of the Affinity colors. In current house, we veered off track for DD's room (a luminous aqua) and have so far painted the mudroom (Crystalline) and the DR (Moroccan Spice) with Affinity colors. Looking forward to picking colors for the remaining rooms.

If you stick with the Affinity line, you can't go wrong :)

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I think the green is going in the right direction, but I'd look for a different shade. The green is not the right tone for the other two. Look at Garland Green or Veranda View. Those may not be the best possible, but they are more in the direction I would go.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I played with soleil on the left, labrador on the right and added the following affinity colors
    anjou pear
    lucerne
    marscapone
    serenata

I like them all....

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I love the idea of the entry and stairway matching. I've done that type of color change in our home and loved it. I found a photo from shortly after we moved in, so embarrassing other than my sweet Maggie Doggie, but it shows how I brought the yellow from the sunroom in the foreground to the half bath on the right, pantry in the middle and back entry behind the island to break up the bold cobalt of the kitchen and one sunroom wall. (It was kind of fun seeing this photo as it shows me how far we've come!)
    I wonder if you just need to go a couple shades lighter on the green to make you happy? Personally I love it but, as you can see, I like saturated color. I realize that's not for everyone.