Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertgoulet

Help designing dormer

robertgoulet
9 years ago

looking for input on a shed dormer we are putting on our garage/bonus room. I have added some red lines to the image below to show what we have in mind.

My main questions are around the design...specifically the siding. I dont think we can find the same siding that was used on the rest of the house (did some looking) so we either find something that looks similar (but the stuff on the house is 13 years old so it wont match no matter what we do) or we go with a contrasting siding that clearly does not match.

My concern is that since, to maximize space, the dormer will come out as far as the wall on the main house, it will look odd no matter what we do...either we have identical sidnig on the dormer and house which might look bad because it doesnt match, or might look weird because it will essentially be a continuous expanse of exterior wall with a downspout and trim running through the middle....or it will look weird with a different siding material used for the dormer.

Anyone have pics of a similar dormer situation on a home? All the ones I see are normal smaller dormers which are typically centered on the garage and dont extend out as far as the wall on the main house and I think its easier to use a non-matching siding or pick a contrasting siding in that case.

Here is our house:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County