Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Which hopelessly trendy kitchen chair?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Thank you, MermanMike, for selecting my kitchen table for me, to wit:

I do not want matching chairs. I am interested in one of these hopelessly trendy chairs (ignore color for this purpose).

So, which one?

or

The kitchen will be painted white, with some white unfitted pieces, one built in antique oak cabinet, painted floors (tbd), and retro appliances in a creamy yellow.

Comments (80)

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Because I love Phoebe Howard....

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe's Top 10 French Bistro Chairs

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn, I agree that the Eames are cafeteria lady and IMO downright butt ugly. Love the chairs that Beverly posted and the PH's that Arapaho posted. My favs were number four and ten.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the Maison Gatti are like $600 or $650 each, IIRC from several years back when I considered them for another kitchen. I like the Serena and Lily ones fine for $198! I should also check out Glac Seat since they are here in CT

PS just found a link

Here is a link that might be useful: everything you always wanted to know about french rattan chairs

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 21:58

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Another vote for the french bistro chair. Seems a little less hopelessly trendy than the metal ones. I can the bistro still being around looking classic in 20 years, but not so the metal. Also, the bistro seems restful to me, while the metal is a bit too peppy.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

removed.

This post was edited by ineffablespace on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 22:40

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow, they are beautiful. 650 a chair is pricy but the Eames were around 400. I think the Bistro chairs are made for you and your beautiful vacation home!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

If you get a price from Glacseat, would you please post it?

We're building a lakehouse and I, too, am considering the "hopelessly trendy" bistro chairs.

Of course, that means my vote goes for #1.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daisy, Thank you. In fact they must be less trendy, because i think I first researched them for NJ kitchen 10 years ago!

Holly-kay, I daren't say butt ugly. But I confess too avant garde for me, and I think most particularly with the stove. I wish my stove looked 40s, but it is really 50s, and with those chairs pretty soon I am MCM, which is not what I am looking to do.

Hi Orcas, I did sit in both the other day at the LA store here. And our local Whole Foods eating area is all Tolix. Both are comfy to me.

Arapaho, thx for the link

Red_lover, yup

Ineffable, I did notice the leg. And you are right, I wasn't stacking those in elementary school. I know that the cognoscenti would appreciate the difference. But I just don't think they are me.

Thx, Beverly, for the Serena and Lily.

Julie, odd you should mention that. We got rid of a lot of furnishing, but kept to old wooden step stools.

Allison, I like that look of the mismatched chairs, but its so hard to pull off. (especially for the impatient among us!) Plus it may start to look like my DR chairs, which I am keeping but will add little slipcovers and mini skirts in white duck or similar.

Thanks, Funkyart. Someone named MermanMike reccommended the table from Shaker Workshop.

Lazy, SueB and Cam, I don't think so at all. We probably grab a bite 1x a week or so at Whole Foods and that's what they have.

Outside, the space currently has an 8' long indoor picnic table, for want of a better term. One weekend of moving out the benches was enough to queer it for us.

Pal, I think I am not hip enough to carry those off. I will see what DH says, sometime he surprises me.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like the chairs at williamsonoma that Beverly posted.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, they appear to be to the trade only. And the mfr sells only by the container full, LOL.

Did you see the link to the Apt Therapy article? They show a lot of sources.

I will try to call Glac, who knows...

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I think Holly's opinion is valid. The Eames chairs have a distinct look. If one feels they are ugly, then how are they not to feel that?

It harkens back to the thread a few weeks ago about things that are trendy, and do you like them because you like them or because they are trendy.

I appreciate that the Eames chairs are considered a classic, and many find them comfortable and stylish. I appreciate their fabrication innovation, and their cast one piece design.

I appreciate the talent and art of opera too, but I don't listen to it at home.

The chairs to me they are associated with classrooms, so not a relaxing and home-oriented association. I don't find that any chair I have sat in with upturned profile under the hamstrings is comfortable as I am not very tall. I like to sit with my legs crossed and can't do that in a chair with that profile, because my supporting leg can't reach flat on the floor. I am thinking church meetings and choir and college faculty lounges and other places with stacking chrome legged plastic chairs.
    Add to that that they are the influence for a whole lot of very utilitarian and unattractive and uncomfortable chairs.

So I can appreciate them, and still not find them compelling to want in my home.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

This co sells Glac .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.frenchbistrofurniture.com/category/frenchbistrofurniture.x_glac-seat-rattan/

• bbstx
    10 years ago

My message became irrelevant

This post was edited by bbstx on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:52

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well,here are two more contenders:

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Definitely colored Windsor chairs!! Very Maine and would look great with the Merman table. Who makes the one you posted? Some of the Windsor chairs are more comfortable than others. I like mine from Ethan Allen. The Serena and Lily version is really cute but looks a little narrow and uncomfortable and I couldn't find an on review of them. I think Crate & Barrel might have some now too, among others. I love them.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Duplicate post, sorry.

This post was edited by MarinaGal on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 7:41

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I like the light airy look of the last chair you posted.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Ok, I'll change my vote to the Windsor you just posted.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Mtn, have you discovered this store yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture store near you

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mtn I almost removed my post. It was rather indelicate to say the least but then decided that you all would understand as we have such a wide variety of tastes. That was why I said IMO. However the BU comment was not necessary.

I adore the Bistro chairs and they certainly would be fitting with your lovely table and that smashing chandy you are getting. I also really like the lovely blue chair that you just posted I always thought Windsor chairs had a rounded back so I learned something new.

It is so much fun watching your lovely home taking shape.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think the last chair is the best of all.

This is where the design process gets complex or maybe the original design statement or objective is actually flawed.

The very first chair I thought of for this table was the last one you posted. (It looks like a Maine Cottage offering) But essentially this is the "matching" chair, which you said you did not want, and it is also not "trendy" or unexpected, which is the unspoken intent of your original design statement.

The table is a very traditional form with a twist (a bit leggy, with wheels) and the chair is a windsor back with a twist (the available palette in flawless sprayed finishes). Remove the wheels and the color and it's a matching set. The twists mix it up a bit, but ultimately they are what you would expect at the heart of it.

That probably comes out as a bit snarky or smug, but this is one of the complexities of working with a client, because what they say they want and what they actually want, in the end, are really not the same thing--and often the designer gets the blame for not being able to deliver.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love this chair from the site Sueb posted. I guess it's the color that really hits home!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• User
    10 years ago

TK Collections is the motherlode of French bistro chairs. You can launch the design software on their site (linked below) and choose the style, the weave design, and the colors. They're expensive, but you would have exactly what you want... You could even do a yellow and gray combination, or a light blue and navy combination :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: TK Collections' chair designer

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I like the blue Windsor chair, too -- would you use the chair naked or put down a pad, Mtn? (But I have to admit: If I were coming over for a dinner party, I wouldn't want it to linger past a few hours -- the chair doesn't have that 'take a load off' feel that FunkyArt mentioned.)

About the Eames chairs: Do they force you to sit all the way back? I have short legs, so I'm wondering about the comfort factor for those of us who are "altitudinally challenged"! I've been in Room & Board stores before, but never had the urge to sit in the different Eames styles.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Love love the Frenh bistro chair. Always have, always will. I think it would look great. But, the Windsor chair is fab too, especially in aqua! I don't think you can go wrong with either- just depends on the look you end up wanting to achieve.

Your new home is beautiful, and in such a lovely part of the country. Wishing you many, many happy years there. And I can't wait to see how it transforms!

• Jules
    10 years ago

Well now, blue windsor chairs are what I'm going with for my dining area.

I just love the look!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I was even thinking of high quality unfinished Windsor chairs with milk paint.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

All mid-century chairs and tables tend to be a bit shorter and lower to the ground than more recent stuff. Some of the tables are 28.5 and we are hitting 31 for a lot of tables now. (of course this may be a good reason they wouldn't work with the table in question).

The seats were actually designed off of impressions taken of peoples posteriors and legs, so they were designed for comfort (except that many people are much bigger and heavier than they were 60 years ago)--but they are usually very comfortable for small, short people.

The only midcentury chair I find extremely uncomfortable is the Bertoia Wire chair. It's constructed like a shopping cart and the front edge does cut off leg circulation.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I really like the second chair in your "two more contenders" post. I like the fact that it seems like a simple, natural choice even though the color will give it the twist you're seeking. Simple, natural choices seem right for this beautiful house.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eandhl,
    I think i want shinier, eg trendier. What I really need is Bee or GrlwPrls and their paint sprayers.

Juju, Lovely. Where are those from?

Mamorella, Thanks so much! I think its now a sit-off between the rattan and the windsor, both Serena and Lily versions. Turns out they have a store in Montauk. Good excuse for a lovely trip out there with DH to try them out in person.

Pammyfay, I would probably forego a pad. Funny thing, I put pads on the windsor chairs at our lakehouse, and we all agree they are less comfy that way! I think it has to do with the "bun scoop" some wooden chairs have, for lack of a better word. I had Stickley windsor in my NJ kitchen for a decade, and many an hour was wasted sitting around that table. So I think it depends on the chair,

KSWL, that may be too many choices! Plus if I am happy at 200 chair, why spend 600?

HollyKay, ooh I love that too.Only thing is I don't think distressed it the right note, not sure since I like distressed.

Pal, Not snarky at all. And I do think you have aptly described why so many design relationships are rocky. Adventuresome and unexpected are kind of meaningless words. It all depends on one's frame of reference. Thanks for acknowledging that these items both do have a "twist", but otherwise are pretty middle of the road choices! (PS, I didnt look at Maine Cottage ... i found the sihouette I liked on DWR but the colorway on Serena and Lily).

... of course if I were patient Id take Allison's mismatched chair idea and then lacquer them all aqua .... hmm, is that too many clowns?

Thanks, Allison, Marina, Eandhl!

SueB -- lemme go look

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sueb --- oh yes, of course! Do you know anything about their quality? It looks pottery-barn-esque? (which is ok for this) Is that about right?

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Mtn~ Do I have this right ?
    The chairs are for this room:
    {{!gwi}}
    But with this table:

Not to be confused with this room :

With (maybe) this chandelier:

This post was edited by forboystoo on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 11:37

• Jules
    10 years ago

I wonder if beautiful navy Windsor chairs might be more fitting than turquoise given the direction you're headed in the living room. I guess it depends on the turquoise accents you use elsewhere and whether you're trying to achieve coastal vs beachy.

No clue who the manufacturer is of the Windsor I posted above, but I do prefer spindles to be quite small in diameter like those over the spindles pictured below.

You wouldn't happen to have some old Windsor chairs in storage would you? Or can you use the set from your lake house? I thought you said you'll be selling that place anyway. That would make your choice much easier and much less expensive.

I want a very casual vibe in my beach house, so I might consider various mismatched styles of Windsor painted the same color baby blue. They can be had for a steal on CL.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correct, Forboys, the Shaker table and chairs are for the kitchen (to be gutted except for the built in).

The Chandy ive been asking about on another thread is for the DR. The table, chairs and buffet will stay in that room, and we are adding a windowseat across the 6-window bay. No decisions yet about walls or rug or possible use of WT. Chime in if youd like!

Juju, The lakehouse is sold (not yet closed), and we sold it with all the furnishings. The table and windsor chairs from there were from the PO and they are very traditional. The windsors I want to use now have a more delicate vibe. I still have my old kitchen table and those windsors, wonderful cherry Stickley, but those are in my craft room in CT and we use them all the time for games, crafts, poker night. That is the set I mentioned is so comfy (partly to because I spec'd an oversize round table so I could use all armchairs).

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

That's as I thought.
    So..........With that straightened-up âº
    It's hard to perceive space.
    Will the ability to tuck flush to table be something to
    considered for the kitchen ?

• geokid
    10 years ago

Tolix with wood table in white kitchen. I absulutely love Tolix chairs so they are the hands-down winners in my book.

Tolix and Windsor combined (on right). I don't like the look of all Windsor chairs (too many spindles and lines), but I think they look good paired with another type of chair.

Tolix and bamboo. Imagine the bamboo painted a bright color a la Bee.

Eames chairs at a table almost identical to yours (on left). I have to admit, I like this look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorful Dining Chairs

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forboys, here is a to-scale kitchen floorplan. I plan to use sidechairs.

I have a couple of choices for table length but I am assuming 7 feet. The table there now is 8 feet.

The table and chairs are to scale (the chairs I used are the aqua windsors above). I have 4' between the edge of the table and the D/W drawers, and between the opposite edge and the built in hutch, and between the head of the table and the fridge. I could scoot the table further from the fridge.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Mtn, I am a big Serena & Lily fan. Bedding for both kids, some decorative pieces and some stools. Great customer service too. They just had their friends and family sale but often have flash sales via email or Facebook. Their store in Montauk looks fab. Looking forward to a trip out there soon myself!

• User
    10 years ago

I love the chairs in blue and white and they would be a fun replacement for the dining room chairs, only you don't need them there. In the gray and creamy yellow kitchen, wouldn't this be fab??

Sorry, I don't know why this is so big!

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 17:36

• amykath
    10 years ago

Not sure what all has been decided but I prefer the rattan. I like the look and it definitely looks far more comfy too!!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Just so there is no confusion, the actual seating area of the bistro chairs is Rilsan, a polyamide (plastic). I like these chairs and I would use them myself in certain situations, but there seems to be an aversion to plastic on GW so I wanted to point out that you are sitting on plastic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks, I know they are plastic .... Think I mentioned that above when I said you can hose 'me down.

• User
    10 years ago

The ability to take a hosing is an excellent trait for a kitchen chair.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Yep, I know that You know they are plastic. I don't count you among the averse.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, not hose "me down", hose " 'em down". Tee hee.

Mamorella, We need a GW road trip!

Atkillery, thanks. For now, I need to go see all these items in person. Check out how chairs fit under the table. And check out how the chairs sit. My number one choice is the Serena and Lily Tucker (the delicate aqua windsor), then the Serena and Lily Riviera (the rattan/plastic navy and white one). If all else fails, I still like the Tolix, too.

KSWL, now, now, stop tempting. Why spend 5000 for 8 chairs when i can find ones I like for less than 2000?

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Mtn - For months I have had my eyes on a couple of Serena & Lily tucker chairs in coral for my craft room. They look petite so if you visit the store in Montauk I would love to know how comfortable they are for an average adult. I love those chairs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MarinaGal, I will let you know. Not quite sure when we will make the pilgrimage out there. We usually spend thxgiving and my DH's birthday at the lakehouse, but the buyers are trying to close in 45 days from signing. We'd go to Maine but the reno starts today, so that'll be a mess. So I'm thinking maybe thxgiving in Montauk?

• Janice742
    10 years ago

.....These are probably not "fun" enough for you. (from a color standpoint) But believe it or not they are from JC Penney.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, mtn I agree completely--- that's almost exactly what I said to our ID when he sent me to the tk collections site for kitchen chairs. Luckily my mother came up with 4 French ladderbacks and I filled in with parsons chairs at the ends. But I spent a good deal of time playing with the weaves and colors--- this was about four or five years ago at the very beginning of the trend. We ended up putting four bistro type chairs on our screened porch that are all weather aluminum but look remarkably like rattan, which I got as a close out from a furniture supply company for practically the cost of the shipping!

And the ability to take a hosing and not lose your stomach for continued renovation seems to be a required trait in a homeowner :-)

• theclose
    10 years ago

Serena & Lily, Hamptons store is 20% off this weekend. Friday-Monday. Just in case you are ready to commit. : )