Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Thoughts on not-centered bef

violetwest
9 years ago

Darn it! Non Centered BED!

My main living space is almost done, so . . . moving on to the bedroom. Small bedroom, big bed. No headboard yet.

all the fancy bedroom pics have a bed centered on the wall. In the pic, you can see the banner is centered on the all, but the bed is not, because this way I have room for a chair on one side, and the bed faces where the tv is on the opposite wall.

Won't it look strange if I get a headboard when it's not centered? Functional, I guess, which is more important, but it won't look right. :(

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 14:17

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So get the headboard and then center the banner over the bed.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I think that when you get a headboard--or when you put up a banner like that--THAT becomes the visual center, so it'll look correct even if it's not the actual center of the wall. So scoot over that banner! It does look askew like that!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

In my opinion, your bed is fine but the banner should be centered over the bed. Hang it in two rows over the bed. Or can you turn the piece of furniture on the left side against the other wall and move your bed into the center of the wall? Getting a headboard and leaving the banner will make it more obvous your bed is not centered

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I often prefer bedrooms in which the bed is not centered if the context is right. I tend to find a two thirds/one third room split sometimes more peaceful-seeming or peacefulness-inducing than when the bed is square in the middle. Don't know if I could articulate why. I think perhaps because it creates space where there's more freedom to move around. Then again I also tend to prefer photographs in which the subject is off-center. (Kiwi is off-balance!) I agree with those who said above that if you treat the bed as the visual center you really can't go wrong.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Our king bed is centered on the wall with night stands on each side.

I have never been able to center the beds in the other two rooms (used to be the kids' rooms) because the rooms are too small. I have/had headboards on these two beds; no art above them. If I had any type of art above these beds, I would center over the bed - not the wall.

Center the banners over the bed and put a taller lamp on the bedside chest to balance the height.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah, very good thoughts, thanks! I'm a little clearer on this now.

Banner may eventually go away. Bed is really only possible on that wall.

• arbpdl
    9 years ago

I like the bed off center, actually prefer it that way, especially with the chair there, but the banner looks wonky to me. I'd either center it, or ditch it in favor of something more substantial (nice piece of artwork or a headboard or a mantel shelf in lieu of headboard

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm