Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Calling for help from paint Gurus and Tibbrex re: Lennox Tan & m

peegee
9 years ago

Painter is ready and I'm still confused...I didn't want to hijack sis2two's thread, but I too am interested in your Lennox Tan, Tib....I need to buy a sample jar. But you noted your room doesn't get a lot of sun? My LR faces west with a huge bow window -- I wonder how that may affect it. Anyone have Lennox Tan or similar with heavy afternoon sun? Fell in love with nantucket grey but it's not quite warm enough. I have an old chip of a yellowy green, BM splendor, but I don't want a pea soup look or even a celery look for that matter. I'm trying to be open to all possibilities.
This room has orangey wood trim and will have orangey oak floors. Area rug has a variety of warm greens, mushroom, sable, rusty orange, etc., and oak furniture upholstery includes a warm yellowy green solid, another in a leafy pattern with amber, golds and a bit of green, and a mission oak love seat with black leather. I am concerned about the red brick fireplace. The dining room is in view and Hawthorne yellow at this point is the contender. Dining room, open to the kitchen, is about 28 ft total with east exposure, and seems dark. Cabinets will be deep reddish-brown quartersawn oak, so will suck more light out, so cathedral opening with skylights in the kitchen going in. Otherwise ceilings are low, under 8 foot. Floor throughout will be same orangy oak I have no photos; everything is packed and the new (old) place is still being renovated. I should note I am beyond tired of pale walls, but want to be realistic about too dark walls in the 11X19 living room with low ceilings...Any ideas, pics, help of any sort for either/both rooms will be appreciated

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Peegee,

My LR, with the Lenox Tan, has windows facing North, east, and south, but it doesn't get any direct light because of trees and bushes and a shed, all blocking the sun. My LR ceiling is low, like yours, and the pine of the ceiling and the floor are very orange. (The trim in my LR is BM White Dove,BTW). But I think it is, at least in part, the orange pine bouncing off the Lenox Tan that makes the LT so wonderful in this room. If you look at the swatch on the BM site, it looks like that rather blah, cooler, browner tan first thing in the morning, when the sun is rising in the east. But very quickly, it begins to warm up and it literally starts glowing and turns a very warm gold, sometimes a burnt rustic woodsy colorâ¦so gold w/o the icky green undertones! I am thrilled about that.

It is most beautiful in late afternoon. It really starts to radiate, and as I described it on the original thread, it's like being "wrapped in caramel". At night it's just warm and cozy and lovely.

Annie thinks it's too dark and that it doesn't reflect any light. I think it's perfect, but I wouldn't put it in a room that gets a lot of sunlight as I think those rooms are the ones that should be painted in light colors.

But, as always, you can never know what a paint color will really look like until you've got it up on the wall. One thing I recommend doing is buying the square of Lenox Tan that BM Sells (they do have it in Lenox Tan, btw, at least here). Then put it up on each wall of the room for a while, next to a piece of furniture and/or your trim, and then look at it like a movie director pictures a scene: make a viewfinder with your thumbs and hand, and create a scene where all you see is the Leno Tan and what is a fixture in the room (i.e.: what will be there with the Lenox Tan), NO old paint color in there. That will give you and excellent idea as to how the color will look. Do it on all four walls and at different times of the day.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

My LR faces west with a huge bow window -- I wonder how that may affect it

Sunlight strips chromaticity, saturation. In other words, an abundance of light can make some colors look washed out, paltry, weak. West light beaming in is heavier in the warm end of the spectrum - it's like a giant incandescent light bulb. If the wall color has similar characteristics, reflecting beams in the warm end of the spectrum, that's the emphasis you'll see in the overall atmosphere of the room.

Fell in love with Nantucket grey but it's not quite warm enough.

Cheyenne Green 1502 is almost an exact match to Nantucket. It could read a snidge warmer than Nantucket. Maybe take a look at the following colors too:

Paris Rain 1501
    Spanish Olive 1509
    Dried Basil 1510
    Mosaic Tile 1517

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd go with powell buff or wilmington tan over the lenox tan.

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delay!!! Hope it's not too late for more feedback. I've poured over the suggestions, and am beginning to wonder if i should go more gold instead of the green I wanted.
    Annie - what are your thoughts behind that? (powell buff or wt instead of LT)
    Fun - I've repeatedly read what you wrote and I just can't quite follow what you are saying; do you mean if the paint is a deep warm paint the strong warm light will make it more warm? Too warm? ???
    To everyone - will head to the paint store later this week as soon as I can to check out suggestions; got lucky and have more time from the painter.
    Was hoping to hear comments about whether or not colors go with the Hawthorne yellow...hopefully the Hawthorne yellow will be compatible with brownish and with reddish-brown oak?
    Still hoping for opinions, photos, etc. Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

I would stay away from golds. Golds tend to have green undertones.

I wanted a "gold" for my living room, but I kept getting stuck by the green undertone. After I got the Lenox Tan up on the wall, imagine my thrill that it is very gold, but w/o the green undertone! Obviously can't speak to your room specifically. But I'd stay with tans if you want that warm gold look.

Personally, I think Wilmington Tan and Powell Buff have too much yellow in them, but you can't tell anything until it's on the wall.

Take a look at Quincy Tan, Yorkshire Tan, and Danville Tan. (Kinda wishing I'd found and tried them!) That will give you more of that gold thing/w/o the green, that you want.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 8:30