Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

LR is painted - pillows & tablecloth ?s.

User
10 years ago

Sorry, things sometimes take longer these days.
Before BM Shelburne Buff - CanâÂÂt find an original pic. Was flopping pillows around here.
Color is more accurate on the side walls.
{{!gwi}}

Now BM Shaker Beige - painted the back of the bookends the same too. Unfortunately itâÂÂs NOT photographing accurately which kind of defeats the point of showing photos. :(
I really like it.
This one is probably the closest to the color but still isn't how it looks IRL.
{{!gwi}}

Pillows
What about adding the houndstooth plaid and fur? (Failed to REMOVE gold pillows - please ignore.)
I have a few remnant pieces of this. I also like Restoration HardwareâÂÂs covers in mink.
This fur pillow mock up is 16x26
{{!gwi}}

HereâÂÂs 13x21.
{{!gwi}}

RHâÂÂs - Sizes shown are 26âÂÂsq., 22âÂÂsq., 16x26, 13x21. I think they look smaller in the photos online.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

HereâÂÂs a photo of the mink color in their throw. Not sure if this is more accurate of the color or not.
{{!gwi}}

This smaller houndstooth plaid, that was talked about in the other thread, I feel is too similar to the other and I believe IâÂÂd only like it if I make a fake pocket with a large button in the middle. I think IâÂÂd prefer a different texture (like fur) instead of another pattern.
Old pic.
{{!gwi}}

Tablecloth
I wanted to replace the camel color with burlap and keep the topper. HereâÂÂs a scrap piece of standard burlap and it looks blah with the topper. Tablecloth color suggestions? IâÂÂd be ok with changing the topper (or pillow or throw over here). I do want to keep the round table because I feel it helps add some weight to this side.
{{!gwi}}

The Lamp
IâÂÂll either change color of the shade or replace it.

Art
I removed the floral prints that flanked the couch. IâÂÂm thinking of buying this print by John Constable and similar art for the room. I donâÂÂt have a clear game plan yet.
{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• springroz
    10 years ago

It is taking on that English library feel! I am not sure on the mink pillowss...first ,no, then they grew on me as I looked more. Maybe you need to tea stain the burlap, I do like that topper on the table!

Sorry, no real help!

Nancy

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

Well, to be honest I don't really like any of those choices with your sofa. The plaid/check fabric is just not right with a chenille sofa - just my thoughts.

I would prefer a solid pillow that doesn't compete with your pattern in the sofa. I have these pottery barn pillows in the gold. They're wonderfully soft and comfy. A washed velvet that can be easily cleaned.

I like these too.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I hate to disagree with Carole - but I do like the mixed fabrics/textures. Especially if you are going for that Ralph Lauren look. I like the fur pillows. Ever since you went on about the fur throw, I've been thinking about them. Not sure I want a throw, but I may go with a pillow (or 2). LOL

Glad you like the paint - I almost posted this morning asking what was going on.

I'll be honest with you about the table. I'd really like to see something else there. I'm wondering about one of those big basket/trunk things with the leather straps. Just my 2 cents worth!

Oh, I forgot to say, I like the larger fur pillow you mocked up.

tina

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I think the fur pillow would be a great "fun" accent in a room that otherwise seems a bit serious.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spring - IâÂÂll have to look up tea staining burlap. Never thought of that!

Carol - In the first pic, thatâÂÂs the gold (looking buttery yellow on my monitor)?
    I prefer the second ones since the texture is more noticeable.

Since the carpet is one of the main permanent (for now) things in the room and doesnâÂÂt look good with gold, which is why I changed the paint, IâÂÂve been trying to stay away from golds. I know thereâÂÂs gold in the furniture but it doesnâÂÂt jump out at me.
    The houndstooth plaid is the first fabric I like with the furniture. This pattern furniture has been hard for me to pair things with. This houndstooth plaid is the first pattern fabric I like with it. I originally went with the bronzy/gold pillows because of the subtle diamond pattern since I couldn't find anything else. I do know all my future furniture will be solid in color.

Tina -I never did buy that throw. I decided to wait once I started thinking about fur pillows.
    My only painting time was during nap time!
    Do you like the fur fabric I have or the RH color?

I do have this table but think the corner looks bare and too light on this side.
    {{!gwi}}

Add a plantâ¦â¦â¦..
    {{!gwi}}

That helps a little but the corner between the couch & loveseat looks naked.
    I think I still prefer the weight of the large round table.

IâÂÂm having a bookshelf built for the wall to the left (not shown) when you walk in. IâÂÂm really looking forward to that.

I do really like trunks.

Sue - Still leaning towards the fur.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 23:18

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm not going to be any help, here. Fur skeeves me out. My BIL put a tanned a hide on their floor and I, unconsciously, stepped around it. So did my kids, without any (overt) influence from me. I actually looked at faux fur pillows today and couldn't make myself like them.

If I were so lucky to be invited to your home...I would avoid the fur on the furniture :)

Even with my prejudice, I thing you should go with your instincts. LOTS of people use hides and fur. It also falls in line with your aesthetic.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I like the plant near the corner. The little round table is a better height for the wing chair. The table in the other corner might be better for bulk though. I think it's a little high for the sofa and loveseat, and you might think of replacing it with a round table for the corner.

IMO, the table-clothed table is out of place for the richness of the room. It's what I used in a guest bedroom many years ago as an inexpensive filler piece, so it's somewhat tainted in my mind. If you keep the table, I'd try layering pattern on pattern with the cloth and topper. It's what you're trying to achieve with the patterned pillows, but that's proving to be a little hard with the upholstery. Burlap is too homespun country casual for your other furnishings.

• katrina_ellen
    10 years ago

When you get your bookcase things are going to change - especially if you put books on it - lots of color and texture. Also, depending on where you put it, the side table by the chair may be enough without a topper.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

could you add another plant to the other side of the entertainment center? I always want to make things symmetrical but I know it can be overdone.

I really like your living room! Very warm and cozy.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex - I sent you an email.

I'll be back later to better answer everyone.

Thanks!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i like the fake fur pillows--- they would look cozy for the winter! i prefer the RH 'mink' to the color of the fur swatch on your couch.
    i'm not caring for the plaid too much with the sofa fabric...
    i have to agree with above poster would commented about the round table - i would prefer that style as a 'filler' table in a bedroom. i much prefer the wood table in your FR...
    love the new wall color!! looks much better with your carpeting!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

The wood table looks so much better than the fabric covered one to my eye. I don't think you need to worry too much about bulk there, the entertainment center is always going to dominate. While I think the plant looks okay in the new location, I'd move it to the right side, closer to the window, and then add a couple pieces of art on the wall next to the left of the e.c. If they are large enough, they will "fill" that space and bring some interest there.

This isn't a great example, but kind of like what I was picturing...

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Add me to those that are put off by fur and hides. But I won't be in your room so not really here nor there.

I really dislike those round tables with cloth and topper. Sorry, they seem very dated to me- 1980's.

I love the wood round table and plant. I would put another plant in the other corner.

Love your new wall color!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex - Ha, thatâÂÂs ok. I actually only prefer to see fur in a more masculine setting.

Mayflower - The table between the sofa and loveseat is too high. For function, I actually prefer a slightly higher table. I think the round table would work better there, but then I donâÂÂt have a table for beside the wingchair.

Katrina - The bookcase will definitely help with the weight on that side of the room. For now though itâÂÂs main purpose will be to house toys. I plan on buying some (probably woven) basket to add to it. The photos youâÂÂre all seeing is the cleaned up version with no scattered toys. :)

Nancy - IâÂÂve thought about that before but IâÂÂm not sure if I really want another plant. I donâÂÂt love that one but I have it and itâÂÂs a corner filler.
    And thank you!

Busybee - Removing the large round table does eliminate the need to figure out what fabrics to use there. :)
    Thanks about the color. I wish the pictures would show it accurately.

Olychick - With the weight thing, I was trying to balance the other side of the room.
    I like the idea of the plant moved over and art on the other side. I sometimes like things symmetrical and other times not. IâÂÂve tried hanging art on both sides of the e.stand and it felt cluttered to me. I really just would like to get this room, what I would call, finished for now.

Jess - IâÂÂm getting used to seeing the wood table and plant there so IâÂÂll keep it that way for now.
    Thanks!

Well...I wasnâÂÂt going to say this today or even tomorrow but what the heck. As the days go by, IâÂÂm liking the wall color less. It totally fixed my pinky brown issue completely, but this room gets a lot of light and thereâÂÂs just not enough contrast for me. ItâÂÂs not rich enough of a color for in here. I DO like the color, but not loving it in this room. IâÂÂm actually considering repainting and I already have something in mind. IâÂÂm going to live with it for a while to see if it grows on me.
    There, I said it. *hangs head*

• natesgram
    10 years ago

That's really nice artwork you are looking at too.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Love the wall color and the little wood table....

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Oh Shee - I hate that you are not happy with the wall color, but I think you are wise to weight a few days. If you are still now happy - then go for it. If you are like me and you are not happy with it - it's going to bug you forever. Nothing to be ashamed of! I have trouble many, MANY times with what I "see" in my head and what a room actually looks like.

tina

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I hear confession is good for the soul ;)

I think that once you have the room elements set and a firm vision, this room won't give you so much trouble.

I believe that, a long time ago, we addressed that corner and you didn't want the chair facing the conversation area. Is that right? Because, that's what I would do with a table on the wall side. If you need it for tv viewing, just move it for that day and push it back after everyone goes home.
    Kind of like this, but flip-flopped for your room.

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Roswell Interior Designers & Decorators Embellish interiors

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

You say that the color isn't rich enough, and my guess (without have been part of the earlier discussion) is that you want to achieve a look closer to the inspiration pic Alex just posted.
    I think that if you look at the above picture one thing that really contributes to the room is the WT.
    I think you should leave the paint color alone for awhile, and consider a chocolate or deep burgundy/brick red - depends on the undertone in your furniture which direction to go with the red - window panels. The white/linen that you have on the windows right now just isn't pulling it's weight in the room. Then move your plant to the right of the entertainment center. Lose the table topper next to the wing chair, and maybe consider slipcovering or changing out the light grey on the wing chair.
    I think it'll go a long way towards achieving the look that you want, and my guess is then that the paint color may be just fine. I'd wait on pillows too until you change out the WT.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I also thought the drapes needed weight and color to go with that English library look. I'm not a big fan of blocking windows with furniture, so I'd look again at rearranging the room. Was the issue the glare on the TV? I'd find a window solution for the glare so you're not stuck with one arrangement. We have shutters that we can tilt to redirect the sun.

I'd move the entertainment center to the wall opposite the window. Sofa and ottoman against the far wall with nice art over the sofa--focal point as you enter. Loveseat in front of the window--not as blocking. New comfy chair for reading where loveseat is, floor lamp in corner. Area rug to ground the large, dark, ornate furnishings. They are floating on the light carpeting.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

may_flowers, the main thoroughfare and opening leading to the kitchen is opposite the windows. The tv won't work on that side, unfortunately.

She moved furniture all over the place a couple of years ago (or longer?). Keeping the entertainment center, sofa, and love seat were non-negotiable at that point. The current arrangement worked the best out of all the suggested arrangements (and there were a ton), when the existing furniture was taken into account.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Does the loveseat extend into the entryway as it appears in the photo? I saw a photo of that side about a year ago and seem to recall a short wall.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natesgram - Thanks!

Lori - Thank you!

Tina - IâÂÂm such a visual person and itâÂÂs sometimes hard until I actually see it complete.

Alex - YouâÂÂre right weâÂÂve talked about that corner. HereâÂÂs the chair pulled straight from the corner.
    Yes, this is a different table. I like the other one much better but long story short, it was my momâÂÂs and she decided she didnâÂÂt want to switch.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

To the left more. Hard to tell in pics.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    I'm not sure how the art should be adjusted on the wall with the chair like this. I do like the chair and table here though and I can move back, if needed, when company comes.

Mlweaving - As for the pic Alex posted, kind of. I really like the RL look or KevinMPâÂÂs house, but IâÂÂm aware this room doesnâÂÂt look like either with the elements that are here.

I had dark silk curtains up before. IâÂÂm not opposed to putting them back up and was actually considering doing that.

The curtain curtains (dropcloth) are actually very close to the color of the chair. It isnâÂÂt gray IRL. The reason I made them was to try to pull the lighter chair color into the room better. The curtains look washed out and lighter/cream in these photos.
    I honestly am way over the wingchair, but I just canâÂÂt go out and buy a new chair, you know?

Here you can see one of the brown panels.
    {{!gwi}}

Mayflowers - Yes, the loveseat goes out past the door trim. ThereâÂÂs a couple feet gap between the loveseat and wall. ItâÂÂs not ideal but please believe me that, with the help of GWers over the years, this room has tried furniture floated, angled, entertainment stand tore apart and on different wallsâ¦.until I can replace one of the main pieces, this is the best arrangement. People were kind enough to literally take my room AND furniture dimensions and works on things (Bronwnsmom & Squirrel off the top of my head) and until I replace something, IâÂÂm stuck with this arrangement.
    HereâÂÂs the view I donâÂÂt show much.
    {{!gwi}}

When facing the e.stand, the wall to the left where you can see part of the pack n play (used as toy box!) will have the new bookcase.

And this was a mock up of a potential new color.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's showing a mock up of the size of the new bookcase and what's going on with this side of the room.
    old pics.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Also wanted to say, it looks like there a really wide span of floor in these photos but it doesn't look or feel that way IRL.
    I do know an area would anchor (8x10 fits well) the space but I need to get some other things in order before I revisit that.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:02

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Shee, you are so good at diy, what about painting the wing chair? Some here have done theirs and they look terrific. Here's one in process...using Tulip spray fabric paint but many people just use latex, I think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted upholstered furniture

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oly - I've thought of that but wondered if it felt or looked painted IRL. It just seemed really wrong to do, lol! I never really looked into it more. I didn't know they made the tulip paint like that. Hmm...
    Thanks for the links! I'll check them out later tonight.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I think before you choose another color for the walls and pillows, you should get an area rug first. Google "Area rugs on carpet," and you'll get a lot of beautiful ideas.

I know you said you want wood floors but you can get nice rugs at any color/pattern you want at low prices to hold you over until you get the flooring..unless you plan to do it soon.

After you get a rug which will anchor the room and add that richness you want, then it will be easy to choose pillow and wall colors.

No matter what you do right now, with the very light carpet the room will still look stark.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oakley - The carpet is somewhat washed out in these photos.
    Buying an area rug sounds like a good place to start. But then I think how the carpet will still boss around the area rug choice. I'm having a hard time picking pillow fabrics and adding another (main) pattern to the room I don't think will make that easier. I could go with something solid - darker brown maybe. The other issue is back when I was looking for area rugs, I went to every place that carried rugs in a 2 hour radius around where I live and it was slim pickins. IâÂÂve ordered online before but for something this size I donâÂÂt think thatâÂÂs a great idea.
    I'm not against an area rug, I just don't know that it's going to be any easier for me.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Someone once suggested ordering the smallest size rug of the pattern you like to check how the colors look IRL. That way you don't have to lug a big thing around the house and it's easier to return.

A good tip when you are ready to get one, and rug colors/patterns NEVER look true in photos.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex - Do you like the chair moved?

That's true. I did bring home a bunch of smaller rugs when I was looking. And I should say there were lots of rugs, but nothing that worked and was anywhere near the budget.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oly - I just looked into painting the fabric more and that could work. I didn't know you could use fabric medium. Sounds like it holds up and isn't stiff.

Ha, ha, ha. If I decide to paint the chair I can just SEE DH's face!

Here is a link that might be useful: painted wing chairs

• alex9179
    10 years ago

YES, really like the chair placement.
    You could either put a shorter lamp there and keep the art as is, lower the art and raise the lamp, or put a couple of paintings there-horizontal under the lampshade and one oriented the other way, lining up with the left side of the horizontal so that they're layered.

You know, sometimes you just have to wait for certain elements. I can't spend money on things that "will do for now". I'm a marathoner in decorating, so I'll wait for the piece that's awesome (to me). Don't buy something that will just do for now. It's ok to live in an almost-there-room for a bit :)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Shee, maybe start looking at Craigslist for area rugs. For not much $$ plus the price of a cleaning, you might find a great rug that would work. You could post the pics here before purchase and get some opinions.

Oh and as to the painted wing chair? If your hubby goes to work, maybe you could get it painted and back in the room in a day. He'll assume you spent $$ on a new chair and will be so relieved at how thrifty you are! Might be hard with a little one to care for. Maybe a day for g'ma or auntie to help.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick - I've been searching for chairs but haven't looked for rugs in some time.

My only concern with painting the wing chair is all the tufts. I'm pretty sure I could still do it, but it might be a little tedious. If I mess up...well that's a problem. I'd test it out on fabric that's wrapped around the bottom.

Here's a different lamp. How's the height?
    {{!gwi}}

Should I change back to the brown curtains?

This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 0:31