Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Rounded corners for this table or not?

threeapples
10 years ago

Our farmhouse table was made with the wrong wood. Before they remake it I'm thinking about whether we should eliminate the rounded corners like this one has. I'm going for authenticity. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• rosie
    10 years ago

What a beautiful table. Too bad you have to wait for the right wood.

IMO, the rounded corners are very graceful and go beautifully with the turned legs. As for authenticity, since any carpenter, even those who wouldn't want to take on turning legs, could take a rasp to the corners to keep little ones from being injured by them, I'm sure they were quite common. My antique "possum belly" baking table has rounded corners.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosie. We love it, but they made it in select instead of character hickory.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I had to look that up, but can see how you'd be willing to wait for even more "character." This makes me want to have a table made.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Keep the rounded corners. I would probably keep the current table too, even though it's not what you originally planned.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Most farmhouse tables I've seen have had squared corners. But without seeing your whole table, I wouldn't say yes or no to changing yours.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this table is missing the ages look
    We were hoping for. I hope that when its redone in character grade hickory it will maybe look older.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I would not round the corners for this look. I would ask them just to ease them.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would a flat, less shiny finish make it look antique once its remade in character wood?

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

For a farmhouse look I would not round the corners. I wouldn't have them knife-edge sharp, either; rather, blunt the edge. (I mean to say the same thing as mtn, but don't want to steal her perfect word, "ease"!) I'd do the same to every edge including the edge of the tabletop, in an imperfect slightly irregular way rather than a consistent uniform edge.

This post was edited by lazydaisynot on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 15:45

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

IMHO it should not be shiny at all

PS - Lazydaisy, I learned the word "eased" when I was having my hand hewn cherry countertops installed. : )

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Old farmhouse tables show wear because they are...old. Give yours time when you finally get the one you want. I don't quite understand the allure of distressing a new or refinished piece, but that is just me, I guess. I agree that a less shiny finish would be better. I like boiled linseed oil finishes, but not too many folks do that now.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I don't know about authenticity, but I'm all for rounded corners. On everything. Bruises and abrasions abound otherwise, and I generally refuse to buy anything that's going to do damage to my hips and legs.

except ice cream.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I agree with some of the other posters - no rounded corners but maybe just a bit blunt or "eased" corners.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

It's really hard to tell by looking at that picture. Can you take a picture standing away from the table?

BTW, a farmhouse table doesn't mean it has to be rustic looking. It's just the shape of the table is all.

My FH table has squared corners with a minute touch of roundness so no one gets hurt. The legs also have the round thingy (I don't know the name of it, lol) like the one in the picture.

But it's hard to give you an answer without seeing the whole table.

• deegw
    10 years ago

For the sake of comparison, here's a picture of my new farm table made with reclaimed boards. The top is three boards of old walnut finished with multiple coats of linseed oil. The ends are bread board ends and the legs are shaker style.

{{!gwi}}

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty Deee.

Here is ours:

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Here is our table that we had made

The one regret I have is that we didn't extend the top over the legs at each end.... We can only place one chair at each end - which is fine 80% of the time -- but for larger gatherings, it would be nice to pull two chairs or a bench at each end to increase seating from 8 to 10.

The corners are "soft" - not sharp. For a true farmhouse look, I'd definitely soften your rounded corners.

Here is the company that made ours:

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse tables

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice. Yours is not considered matte, right? I wonder what a matte finish will look like?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Three, I think your top is too perfect (yeah, on some furniture that isn't good!!). Janice's photo shows how it can be a gloss finish, but still show the rustic character of the wood. With kids a bit of a distressed finish is good. My table has old boards, slightly distressed and waxed, so scratches can be sanded out and the top re-waxed ... I don't think you will be able to do that with your top.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Your house is pretty formal though, so I think it can carry a less-rustic table.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Mine is not matte - but not super shiny either. I think the flash went off on my iPhone when I snapped the photo.

The planks are hand planed - so that gives it a more rustic appearance. Even if we opted for little or no distressing, the hand-planing adds to the farmhouse style element.

Our table is in our dining room. We opted not to have an eat-in kitchen therefore, our table gets a lot of use and wear. We do have scratches here and there - and I'm usually a crazy person when it comes time to that. But this is our family gathering space -- so a little scratch or nick just adds to the story of the table.

Your table is beautiful. Are the legs the same wood as the top? What's the difference between select and character hickory...?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Yes, the legs are hickory as well. Select is a cleaner look with no knots. I prefer the character as its more interesting to me. Our bar is character hickory and we really love it.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Here's an OT question - how tall is your table? Our farm table is too tall I think. It's like 32" I think. Just curious. thanks! Oh I would take some of the curve off the corners.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm
    Not sure, but I'll measure. It's a bit lower than our counters.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I agree that the top looks too perfect, and not the right shape, for a FH table. It looks more like fine furniture, resembling the shape of a Duncan Phyfe table top, so kind of out of the ball park there. I'd eliminate the rounded corners, and think some banding around the edge, or on the ends, would also enhance a FH feel.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 21:09

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions