Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Unsure of placement of backsplash. Help please.

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I have attached 2 pics that are not the best, but the only ones I have for now. I will take a proper one and post. Anyway, you can see where the stainless and glass hood will be in between the cabinets over the range. I intend to have the backsplash behind the hood as far up as it can go, however, I am confused about how high it should go! Should it go to the top of the cabinet line or all the way to the ceiling? For some reason, both seem odd to me. The cabinets will have a 3" crown molding on top, but this area where the hood is obviously will not. So...............where do I end the backsplash, on top of the cabinet line or at the ceiling? I feel to the cabinet line will look cut off and to the ceiling will look odd. I can be wrong, but I just don't know. Thank you.

Comments (19)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Although not the best, here is another pic

• amykath
    9 years ago

can you pull back with your camera so we can see more of the top of the cabs? From what I can tell I would stop below the line of the exhaust hood.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Either way could work, but, if we knew what the backsplash will be made out of, it might be easier to give a reasoned opinion.

Also, why don't you think the crown molding couldn't continue around the top edge of the cabinets and behind the hood?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I say up to the cabinet bottoms where there are cabinets but up to the
    lower rim off hood on wall behind the stove top.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Do cabs go to ceiling? If so, bring the backsplash to the ceiling. Otherwise stop at hood.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a full view, as promised. The backsplash I will send a pic of in the next post, it is a curved, light blue glass backsplash.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the backsplash shown in my inspiration picture. As you can see in the above pic of my kitchen in progress (backsplash starting Monday) the cabinets do not go to the ceiling, but there will be a 3" crown molding on top of the cabinets. All that being said, what should i have them do with the the backsplash behind the hood. I would like to have the entire wall behind the hood done in the backsplash, but the question is how high to go and what, if anything goes above the backsplash where it ends at the top if not to the ceiling. Knowing this now, I would have preferred having the cabinetry hood, but if thought the stainless and glass one would break up all the white from the cabinets a it. Thanks

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Based on that fuller picture, ignore my question about crown molding. It's clear to me that you bring the backsplash up to the bottom of the hood arc and no further. It will look terrific with that kind of backsplash. Do it and don't look back!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just so I have it right kudzu9, right where the glass arc is I stop? Paint color above that? Never knew this would be as confusing to me as it is! Thanks

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe this photo shows what kudzu9 suggests, correct?

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how high I wanted it to be, but since my crown molding doesn't go all the way to the ceiling like this, I don't think I can do it.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

With the arrangement you have, stopping it at the glass arc is the right choice. It will take a little work to shape the top of the backsplash to match the curve of the hood, but it will look perfect, and the paint above and to the sides will provide a nice accent, whatever the wall color.

Looking at the two photos you just posted, you are correct that I am suggesting a treatment along the lines of the first photo. And even if you had cabinets that went to the ceiling so that you could have crown molding all the way around, I think that what you have will be more attractive.

When it's finished I'll bet you'll say to yourself: "That looks great...how could I have even deliberated over that!"

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I'm glad you said about curving the backsplash because I wouldn't have thought about that.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

If you have a good installer who can cut the backsplash to fit to the curve, it will be very cool. If that just can't be done, my second choice would be to install it straight across to the high point of the arc, which would be almost as good. Either way, very stylish and tasteful. I don't think you'll get tired of it. Good luck.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree with stopping it at the curve. It will look gorgeous!!

Love your kitchen and backspash inspiration!

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I agree with up to the underside of the hood -- nothing above. We used a very similar hood (might be the same one) in a reno about five years ago. We had no uppers on the range wall, so had the backsplash across the entire wall, full height. We then installed the hood OVER* the tile. On the off chance you're considering running the tile above the hood, installing the hood over (in front of) the tiles eliminates the problem of getting the tile flush to the curved glass hood. It requires a bit of furring out so you can mount everything flush, but it worked out fine for us.

*because one would think the tile went all across the wall, but I was a little itsy bitsy bit short on tile, so we left a hole behind the range hood chimney. Shhh . . . don't tell!!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Are you able to take the hood down now?
    If so, it would be easier to tile first and then mount the hood. That is a mistake that I made and if we ever need to change the hood, it will be a big tile mess.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The entire thing is not up and I think they are taking it down to tile. I cannot remember why, but they needed to put it up for some reason

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Taking it down is a good idea. I presume prior to removing it that they will run a pencil line on the wall along the arc of the hood so they will an exact reference point, rather than trying to approximate it?