Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3ilovepie

Almost final exterior choices - yay or nay?

3ilovepie
9 years ago

Some background, our home is in Toronto, north facing and we will have an interlock parking pad.

Our new home will be similar to this - a few differences--- ours will have 4 steps to porch with columns, we will not have a garage, our porch and bay window will have copper awnings. Our windows will be gray too but not boxed in board - they will be surrounded by brick. http://vinylbilt.com/accessory.php?ref=Colours and our stone is Indiana limestone.

For brick we are between king William and full range royal plum

http://www.redlandbrick.com/onlinecatalog/brick-colors/Red-bricks/169/King-William

http://www.redlandbrick.com/onlinecatalog/brick-colors/-bricks/176/Royal-Plum-Full-Range

Not sure if we should go with the red or burgundy tone brick.... So much to coordinate!

Comments (6)

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Style of bay window

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Hi,

The full range plum looks good on the screen. but ...... Have you seen a house done in either of these bricks? I can't tell you how many houses in Ontario we drove to based on seeing promising red brick hand samples. So often they looked good in the hand samples, but on a full wall was not what we were hoping for.

Have you requested some bricks in the brick size you want ? Remember different sized bricks and/or bricks made at different times can look very different, yet all be called the same name. If you post pictures of the brick samples beside your other exterior colours it would be easier for folks to give you an opinion. Colours on a website can be very deceiving. Seeing a house done in the same sized brick (recently done so die lot is same) is always best. Brick sample are better than pictures though, but a house done in the same size and in same die lot is best.

Best of luck. Choosing brick is hard!

Carol

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

The burgandy plum looks good to me too. And I agree with Carol that sometimes they can look totally different on a full wall.

Your Royal Plum link

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we were hesitant too. Thankfully the brick retailer gave us a list of local homes in both bricks (and a few others that we ruled out).

We think the royal plum is nice - but do you think it's too dark or the tones would be off with the copper and limestone?

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

I could only give a colour opinion if I saw all the colours photographed together. Do you have any sample bricks or photographs of houses done in the royal plum? Maybe you could do a photo or mood board with all the colours in question grouped together (i.e. window colour, brick colour, stone colour, copper colour , mortar colour all together). Then everyone could see the colours together. There is just not enough visual information or photos posted for most of us to see your planned colours together to offer much of an opinion. For example, what does Indianna limestone look like? What shade of grey are the windows (the window link did not work)?

Carol

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Getting pictures of the homes we saw will be a challenge - people are always wondering why you are staring at their home ! :-)

The gray is the same as the first picture (picture of a neighbours home) but the bay is not gray - it will be bricked like second picture.

Copper same as first picture.

Let's see if DH feels brave and will go take pictures!