Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

I'm quitting decorating my house!

tinker_2006
11 years ago

For a little while.. having surgery in in a couple weeks on my hip, will be limited for a while during recovery, so I'll be quitting my projects for a while!

My Gray Rug arrived for my sunroom, I like it. It let's the chairs be the focal point, and makes the ugly, old tile disappear.

*picture below

My dining room... I finally decided on buffet lamps, with an off white/cream shade, they should be here in a few days. The mirror/picture - I still haven't found the right one.. I had the picture with the frame I darken.. but I really disliked the frame. I tried to switch frames, but didn't work... I broke the glass. So I repainted an the old mirror again, and it's not the same color as the buffet (thought it was - grabbed the wrong can. I think it looks... well.. I'm not sure how it really looks! ??????????????????

My new light for my new (former dining room) arrived, hubby hung it - I like it. My new table set should be arriving soon... still so much to do in this old house, but I can only do so much!

From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover

Comments (41)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I just want to say that I love your house. You are making it so pretty and welcoming. Very nice.

Hope your recovery is quick.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear you need surgery. Hope everything goes well. And your beautiful home and all your projects will wait patiently for you.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Hoping all goes smoothly for you. You've done a wonderful job with your home. I'm sure you'll be doing a lot of mental decorating when you come home to recover! Are you having hip replacement surgery?

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

1. Love the rug and agree it lets the chairs shine, which they should!
    2. Very cool chandelier - works perfectly.
    3. I like that the frame does not match the buffet - far more interesting this way and it totally works.
    4. Your home is one of my absolute all time favorites and I love seeing what you do. Your home pics always make me feel like ahhhhhh - an easy exhale. It's comfortable, casually gracious and interesting.
    5. Hope you do well with your surgery and are back in the GW saddle quickly.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I think you deserve a nice rest after your surgery because your house couldn't get any more perfect if you tried!

Accessories are my favorite part of decorating which is why I love looking at your pictures.

I did LOL though at the white balls inside the apothecary jar. The other day I was cleaning under my sofa and found one the cat must have gotten to. I put it aside to use later. lol.

The lighting in your house looks like it came from a magazine. How lucky you are!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wish I could edit my typo's... lol

oh well!

Thank YOU ALL! My house is only coming along so nice because of everyone here! What would I ever do with all of you!!

So, do you think this frame works.. or am I better off looking for a wood frame one that matches the table?

Hip surgery.. thankfully, my joints are prefect, but I had a fascia graft done a year ago (they used a section of my fascia/tendon from my thigh). Scar tissue has made the thigh tendon too tight, causing me to have a "snapping hip" & bursitis (feels and looks like my hip is popping out of my joint). They are going to lengthen the tendon & smooth the bone. I'll be on crutches 3-4 weeks.

• User
    11 years ago

What a wonderful space. I love that long view in the last photo.I am a big fan of rooms flowing and you have done a great job. No matchy matchy and everything feels comfy and put together. In short...you rest and get back on your feet and bask in a "job well done " !! c

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I remember so much discussion on that light fixture for the former dining room -- and some on the new dining room, but I wasn't putting all these together. I love your house and the things you are doing with it are great. Enjoy the progress while you heal and you'll be bounding with energy by the holidays. Take care.

• User
    11 years ago

Love the gray/grey carpet it is way more peaceful than the last one. Both of your chandeliers are great too! Cheers to a speedy recovery.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What a wonderful place to recover! Hope you can just relax and enjoy it. I love the way the mirror looks...just the perfect amount of contrast with the wall and coordinates with the buffet without looking like a dresser set for a bedroom. I'd stop looking!

The rug, too, is so great. The chairs look wonderful against it - much better than the previous choice.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I think the gray carpet is a great choice.

Good luck with the hip and have a speedy recovery. You've certainly earned a rest from decorating.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Hip replacement? I had one in February. I am thrilled with the results even though I am still considered to be recovering. When I came home from the hospital, I couldn't stand not doing anything. My husband brought down my sewing machine and I bought some fabric and made a baby quilt for our friends. Our breakfast room became my sewing room for a month or so when I could go up and down the stairs again.

Good luck to you. Maybe this will be a time for you to reflect on your projects and the ideas will flow. I recommend planning in advance to have books to read, small projects to do, etc. to keep you from being bored.
    Diane

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Well done, you!

I love the gray rug. Makes the most of you chairs, looks great with the floor, and is peaceful without being wimpy.

Both the light fixtures are terrific.
    Great looking - AND they are big enough, and low enough!
    Hallelujah!!

I hope you will be able to, as my mother says, "enjoy poor health" for the next few weeks. Watch movies, read books, eat well, have a glass of wine, and practice saying, "Darling, would you get that for me, please?"

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Tinker,
    I love the gray rug. Perfect.
    Also think the new chandy is lovely.
    The mirror not being matchy matchy is good to my eyes.
    Good Luck and speedy recovery.

• jennybog
    11 years ago

Tinker,
    Your House is FAB!!!! Did you plank the walls yourself? And if so what did you use??? Would you be willing to share how much it cost. Blessings Jenny

• rosie
    11 years ago

I like what that rug does a lot, Tinker. Wishing you a laptop with endless decorating sites and a relatively easy rehab.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Good luck with the surgery; you'll recuperate well in your lovely environment,
    I really like the rug.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That rug is perfect! Love the new chandelier, too. You have such a wonderful eye.

Hope all goes well with your surgery. You will be so glad you did it! Now, sit back and enjoy your absolutely marvelous home!

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

your home is lovely! Hope all goes well with your surgery, rest and let your family pamper you!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Best wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and a speedy recovery!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

The place looks great! What a wonderful space in which to recover. We hope to see you back here during your recovery. Nothing wrong with "planning" even if you can't "do". Plus we all love YOUR feedback to our questions!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and fabulous pain medication!

Bee

• lala girl
    11 years ago

I just love your house - it is serene yet so many wonderful details. Best wishes for an easy recovery - your house is a lovely place to relax and recover!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone!!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to spending more time here, learning and admiring all your ideas, homes, tips & tricks!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Tinker, sorry to hear about your coming surgery, but wish for you that the procedure goes well and that you don't have much pain. Your home is lovely. I especially love that touch-of-red bird on the buffet. You should enjoy your recovery in such a serene surrounding. Stock up on reading material to help you plan your next project(s).

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Tinker: Wow. I love what you have done. I adore the feeling you've created there.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jennybog, the walls are original 1937 cedar ship-board planks. We were able to order some similar in order to patch in a window area. The house has 3 rooms they used this in. Our dining room at one time was a screened porch!

• barb5
    11 years ago

Tinker, your home is beautiful!

Would you mind telling me what the color is on your walls? It looks like such a nice warm cream, which I have been trying to acheive in my LR.

Of course, I think you are in the South, and I am up North, and that may be the basic problem with how colors look on my walls.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Oh my goshhhhh...your home is stunning. I would be so happy there!!
    Please take good care and here's hoping that you'll be back to new before you know it.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Tinker, I have followed your posts ever since I joined GW and always read what you post and see your amazing creations. Girl, you have that natural ability to put a house together ....both your former house and now your new-old house...absolutely amazing decorating!

Best of luck for your hip surgery...although you might hurt for a short while, your mind won't stop decorating! I have had two hips and a knee replaced (and another one pending) , so I can tell you to get some things you can do to occupy your time and milk that pampering while you can.

Bless you!

• orcasgramma
    11 years ago

That mirror seems right to me with the buffet - a beautiful room.

Wishing you a quick recovery from surgery.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I remember when you bought the house (green and white lattice kitchen wallpaper, no?)

I love everything you have done.

Hope all goes well and recovery is speedy. Certainly your lovely home is conducive to it!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Tinker, I love seeing your home. I love your kitchen and now I love the rooms just shown. The gray rug really adds to updating the look of the room and tying in the chairs in the room making it so cozy. I love the chandelier. I love the wall color (someone else also asked what color it was... I would love to know also), love all the light that you have in the room and I love how you have a knack for knowing how to arrange furniture and what goes well together. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for a successful surgery and a quick uneventful recovery.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love the grey rug and the DR. Good luck with your recovery.

• cplover
    11 years ago

I love your rooms--gorgeous! Hopefully they will provide tranquility to let you relax and recuperate! Where did you find the grey rug, I love it! Also the chandeliers are both terrific! I am struggling with finding a chandelier for my table, which is proving to be a great challenge. Your rooms look so effortless!!

• kitschykitch
    11 years ago

Great job. Good luck!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! I always doubt everything I do, so hearing people like it.. makes me feel great!

Wall color.. I love it too. It is SW Creme'

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

tinker_2006, thank you for letting us know that the wall color is SW Creme. Good luck with your surgery and please do not stay away too long. We would all love to see some more pictures of your kitchen.

• barb5
    11 years ago

Yes, thank you for the paint color.

I hope the surgery goes well, and your recovery is quick!

• jennybog
    11 years ago

Tinker thank you. What a lovely home. I wish you well in your upcoming surgery.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I have enjoyed following your remodeling/decorating project from day one. You have done a fantastic job - love everything about - so warm and tranquil.

A perfect home to "rehab and heal" home. If I ever have hip surgery, I want to come to your house :).

WIshing you a speedy recovery.
    Tuesday