Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maymester

What are quality brands of furniture?

maymester
13 years ago

I am looking for a new bedroom set with a black finish. I've been to local stores but none of it is well made, feels lightweight and not well constructed. I would like solid wood. Brands like Hendredon are a bit too pricey. And I was disappointed with Broyhill, which is affordable. I've seen the brands Overstock carries and they're not so well made either. Are there any online stores you could recommend? Black doesn't seem to be very available these days.There are lots of leather beds in black but I just want a simple, traditional bedroom set.

Comments (18)

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Drexel, Bernhardt, Ethan Allen...

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Thomasville?

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Thomasville has a sale right now. Also, they are closing out "Casual Retreat" in the black finish. You might want to take a look at it.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Lexington and Stanley too

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I haven't been to Ethan Allen in a while, but a few years ago when I was in the store, I was not impressed with the quality of their furniture.

I'm fortunate to have a good quality furniture store nearby that deals in mostly local (New England) made, solid wood furniture. To some extent, looking at painted furniture is a whole 'nother story, because you have to be happy with the painted finish. Glossy, matte, distressed, etc. I have actually seen some Pottery Barn painted furniture that I liked a lot. I'm trying to think of where I've seen other black painted furniture recently, but I'm drawing a blank. Sorry.

We have a couple of unfinished furniture stores that will paint or finish furniture (for a price, of course) in your choice of colors. Maybe try that route?

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I have seen quite a few complaints about Thomasville and Ethan Allen as well but I think he quality is better than Pottery Barn and Broyhill. I think if you can get a good discount, it's definitely worth considering. I know I paid $499 for my coffee table, which I would consider to be Pottery Barn pricing, and it's way better in construction and finish.
    If I were to be spending $2k and up for a bed, I would probably look elsewhere.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    13 years ago

Our bedroom furniture is extremely well-made solid maple, and wasn't overpriced. The manufacturer is Durham, and the name of the suite is Savile Row. It comes in a black finish.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I'm not a bedroom set kind of person, myself. But you could look on craigslist or antique shops and buy something wonderful and paint it black. Furniture is not what it use to be unless your willing to spend some real cash.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

What Dawn said.....

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Yeah, I spent an entire weekend in High Point NC and nothing didn't have particleboard, veneer, or cardboard somewhere in it, and some of the pieces were *ridiculously* expensive. The only furniture of reasonable price I have seen that is solid wood with dove tail joints etc. has been handmade in Mexico and is very Mexican in style. Which suite me just fine but doesn't sound like anything you are looking for.

I'd say buy something old with the lines you like that is solid wood and refinish it yourself. You won't find something of quality at a decent price new. Or even at any price really.

• maymester
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all, I can't find Durham anywhere near me. It looks promising though. The Thomasville style is just what I'm looking for. I can find it in a store about 50 miles from here. I'll call first, I want to actually lay my hands on it. I will also consider unfinished furniture. Friends have told me the auto body guy can spray paint it (not so sure about that!)

• mom270
    13 years ago

I think Ethan Allen does make good quality furniture, based upon the leather couch, two bookcases and coffee table I bought last year. All look new, a year later.

If you live anywhere near High Point, N.C., you can really buy some nice and reasonably priced pieces there.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

I have 3 Ethan Allen tables that are well over 7 yrs old. No issues with them and their styles are classic. I have 2 Thomasville nightstands (Nocturne) that are also holding their own very well.

I did not have a good experience with customer service from Thomasville. It may have more to do with the store than the manufacturer. I believe the stores are privately owned. Ordered and paid for a set of brush nickel knobs for the nightstands and received the wrong ones. I stopped at the store numerous times to get the mistake corrected. As it turned out, I had to go to Thomasville directly for my issue to be taken care of.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

This store is local, has lots of black furniture...and it's affordable. They advertise they deliver anywhere. Take a look...the quality varies....

Here is a link that might be useful: American Furniture Warehouse selection...

• scanmike
    13 years ago

My bedroom and dining room furniture is still beautiful after 33 years. Made by a little known but very well crafted furniture company called Henkel Harris in Va. The woman who owned the company died a few years back. She was 90 plus years old. When I stupidly placed a candle on my dresser and freaked when I lifted it and the burnt wood the next morning, she replaced the top with one she had in storage at no cost. She told me to buy a lamp! High quality furniture and lady.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I do like many Ethan Allen pieces. DD has one EA line in her BR, pieces include a bureau, tall chest and bombay chest. The pieces are from an EA line which is cherry or cherry and antique white combo. I will say that the tops of the pieces have taken a beating, but admit that DD is very hard on her BR furniture with nail polish, straightening irons and the like. I used a metal headboard to break up the "suite" look as I am not a fan of matchy matchy. DD also has a few pieces in her room that were either hand-me-down (refinished) or custom made by a friend who is a master carpenter/wood worker.

DH & I have oak in our BR. Tall chest, my bureau and mirror (separate pieces), two marble top night chests in the darker oak or "antique oak" finish. All are Lexington pieces in a victorian style. We have an older piece ~ dark oak armoire which is not a Lexington piece, and I have mixed in a metal powder coated headboard and a few other pieces which are not Lexington. The Lexington pieces have been in use for over 25 years and still look as good as the day I purchased them.

LR furniture is leather from a custom leather shop in the city which sells only leather furniture. 15 yr. warranty. Purchased in 2003, and are holding up very well despite 2 dogs and 4 cats!

With the exception of my LR and DD's BR furniture, I have purchased all other furniture in our home from a local furniture store from different manufacturers. We try, when possible, to buy locally in order to support the smaller stores. I am not a fan of the Raymour & Flanigans and Ashley-type stores. They have terrible reviews online, and from friends and family who have purchased items from that type of store.

I do have a friend who temporarily worked in a local Thomasville Gallery. She was a sales associate, but this particular Thomasville store also provides the service as does Ethan Allen of coordinating your home furnishings free of charge. She didn't stay long with Thomasville as her employment began when the economy started to dive back in late 2007.

You can easily find feedback online for most items sold in the retail arena.

• yogacat
    13 years ago

Most furniture companies are outsourcing to Asia and the results aren't good. Even the brands like Henredon aren't made as well as they were 15 years ago. I'm reasonably happy with my Stickey rocker that was made in Asia. The construction is good, not great. The leather on the seat is junk, but it will be easy to replace.

Harden doesn't seem to have declined a lot.

There are also still a handful of artisan cabinetmakers in the US. They aren't cheap, but they aren't as expensive as you might think either. Since I'm not a fan of sets, I'd probably have one piece at a time custom made.