Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Powder room decor question

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

I'm really bad at visualizing things and hope to get some input from those of you who have been blessed with a good sense of scale and design.

I'm planning to remodel my powder room - its 5-3 wide by 5-0 deep with the sink and toilet side by side on the longer wall. The door is across from the sink. The house is contemporary/transitional.

We're planning to install a wall mounted toilet and will do a slight bump out on the lower section of the wall behind the toilet to allow for the in wall tank and also to create a narrow ledge/shelf behind the toilet for interest and storage.
I was thinking of building a vanity similar to this in style and color and using the same painted wood behind the toilet.

Traditional Powder Room by Mississauga Home Builders Prestige Homes

The quartz counter would extend in one piece across the wall to form the narrow ledge behind the toilet. .I was thinking of having a tall backsplash in the counter material and the toilet control would be mounted there.

Above the backsplash I was thinking of installing 3 vertical pieces of the same wood used for the vanity and the right section above the sink would have a mirror between the vertical wood pieces. My problem is what to do with the wall section above the toilet side.

I found this mosaic and fell in love. I really want to use it to cover the wall section above the toilet. Will that be too much?

[Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tile-prbr0-br~t_1053) by New York Tile, Stone & Countertops Artistic Tile

Comments (9)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I actually can't visualize anything without pics of the actual space, but just wanted to say that I love the mosaic...it looks like grains of rice. I have been in a number of homes recently with full walls of mosaic or speciatly tiles.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Based on your description, you could either forego the wood strips and the mosaic and just have a mirror across the rather small wall. Install the wood strips and divide the wall between mirror and mosaic, or use the mosaic as the backsplash and wall tile in the room, have the mirror extend across the room and use the quartz just for the counter.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 15:26

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks coll, I love it too and trying to make it work!

Beverly, your drawings very very helpful.

The mosaic is expensive (although not as bad as I had feared), so I don't want to use too much of it. And I'm trying to keep the other materials to a minimum so the room doesn't look chopped up with too many things going on. Somehow putting it on the bottom just seems wrong - thinking the room will appear bottom heavy with nothing interesting going on in the top section. I was thinking the second drawing which is as I described. Definitely don't want the mirror to go all the way across the top section because I think it will make the room seem "cold" and stark.

I just worry that the mosaic might seem overwhelming in such a small space. Do you think if I go with the mosaic on the top over the toilet, and paint the room in a soft color that blends closely with the tile and vanity that it will be OK?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

What are you doing for lighting?

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm undecided about lighting. The ceiling is 8ft. I don't think I have space for lights on each side of the mirror so I was thinking about recessed lights or this light mounted horizonally above the mirror - It comes smaller too.

[Ceiling Lighting[(https://www.houzz.com/products/ceiling-lights-prbr0-br~t_604) by Sacramento Lighting Lumens

I may decide to eliminate the vertical wood strips, get a smaller mirror and then just do entire top section in the mosaic. I have seem pics oh houzz where it was done that way. Otherwise I fear the room will look unbalanced on one side? More $$$ of course.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can certainly fit one over the sink area and mirror.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow beverly - your drawings are so good, and very helpful! Thank you!

Also considering three small, maybe cube shaped lights mounted evenly across the space - to keep it from looking unbalanced and to place light evenly across the mosiac wall. Still looking for something like that with a reasonable price tag...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think the idea of having the lights centered in the small room is a better way to go.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by numbersjunkie on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 15:17