Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rknala

LR rearrangement - better?

katlan
10 years ago

o.k., I moved the mirrored front cabinet over beside the couch. Picked up an accent chair. Stole a small end table from another room. I know the lamp now doesn't look right because the lamp shade color is wrong. It was previously on the other side of the room.

Do I need a bigger table between the chairs? (either wider or taller)

Art work suggestions now?

Am I getting closer?

Comments (11)

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is where I moved the mirrored cabinet. It looks better there right?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

It does look better there! I can't quite see clearly, but do you think you could switch out the art next to the window (the scroll top piece) and put it over the cabinet? It looks like the size would work better with your cabinet and the smaller piece (mirror?) might fit better next to the window.

I like the accent chair you found and I might add a small rectangular pillow in a print that would bring some of the darker chair and furniture colors onto it so it's not such a stark contrast. Your rugs are wonderful!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I like it! Good job Kat. I love your rugs too. They were a really good choice.

I like Oly's suggestion to switch your two art pieces.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Nice!

I agree that placing a dark throw or pillow on the white chair will bring it in a bit. If you have a larger table, I would definitely try it. Do you have something round?

What kind of art do you like? Metal sculptures, landscapes, abstract, portraits, or a collage of objects? Did you rule out the collage idea from the other thread?

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will look for a small pillow or throw to put on the chair.

So a round table would be better, to help soften the room? How much higher, if at all, should it be? Glass, wood?

We had the wall hanging above the cabinet and it didn't look good at all. There's actually 2 of them, and we originally bought them to go on the maroon wall but they just disappear on it. We decided to see if we could make them work and really like where we put them. If not, they too will go back. Ugh. It really is a process isn't it?

I like canvas wall art, textured paint, no frame, triptychs. I also like wildlife pics, elephants, zebras, giraffes. Would black and white wall art be too stark on the maroon wall? I also like metal sculptures and I love winter scenes. I'm just all over the place. I like too many different things to know what will go best on that wall.

Thank you for your suggestions.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I think black and white would look great against the dark wall and with that white chair. Something like pencil or ink drawings of wildlife.

I can't really tell you what to use. It's such a personal thing! You can look through art.com and get some ideas.

You'll know if the table is the right height when you sit in the leather chair and try to put a drink on it. Too low if you have to reach down quite far and too high if it goes above that arm rest. I think a round one would take up the space well. Material is really going to depend on what you all like and how durable you need it to be.

• katlan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

o.k. thanks Alex. And everyone for your help!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

i think the height of the table you have there now is about right. I would, however, change out the lamp with something with a bit more presence. I think a darker throw or pillow on the new chair would better integrate it into the room. Do you think the mirror above your cabinet should be centered above it?

• erinsean
    10 years ago

How about your lamp with the red shade for the mirrored cabinet? Then get another lamp with a white/cream/natural shade for the table in front of the red wall.

• dakota01
    10 years ago

IMHO - I'm not seeing balance and flow in the room/changes.
    I also see too many "mixed" styles/periods.
    I would remove both wall pieces - IMHO a tapestry and the iron piece don't flow with your more modern cabinet & rugs. Since you are keeping the "head" - it's not in a bad place, but could you move it to the wall with the tapestry. If not, you can still decorate with or around it.
    Can you move the mirrored table to in front of the window? So that it is more of a focal piece?
    Sorry, I didn't see your other post of the entire room
    Can you move or beef up the size of the sconces? They appear small compared to the size of the wall and the bulkier furniture. The slimmer chair is pretty ( I have a similar chair) but it's so light in color and weight compared to the other pieces - I've be tempted to put it closer to the mirrored cabinet.
    I would probably do 3 or 4 pictures on that big wall. Maybe rather than the small lamp on the table or a round table do a few books and a ceramic piece. Since you have sconces you may not need the lamp, but you need one or two near the couch. Finding a table in the same height as your cabinet and two lamps would look nice - at least IMHO.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I agree with Jeannie about the chairs. They have a "Papa Bear and Mama Bear" appearance, and I think the room is too crowded now. I wonder how the gray cabinet would look against the red wall with just the leather chair. I thought of putting the white chair with it, but I'm pretty sure the recliner is used by someone and can't be removed from the room. If you're flexible about the chairs, I'd like to see how each looks with the gray cabinet against the red wall.