Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

My quick-and-dirty hall bath facelift

arlosmom
12 years ago

We don't really use our hall bathroom, so it doesn't get much of my attention. I re-tiled the floor and painted it green when we moved in. Then I ignored it. Once in a while I clean it. There must have been a small faucet drip though, because over time the overflow holes on the old sink began to rust pretty badly. DH and I were noticing a couple of weeks ago that it was looking pretty ratty.

I used the opportunity to do a little facelift. We didn't want this to turn into a major project though...it had to be quick, painless and inexpensive. We replaced the sink, faucet, wall sconces, and shower curtains. We added trim around the perimeter on which we hung an old towel bar that came with the house that hadn't made it back to the wall after the last paint job. I painted the walls, the trim and the outside of the tub (I've been wanting to do that for a long time). I also traded the too-big pine corner cabinet that blocked the light switches for a small painted shelf unit that fits the space much better.

Completed in about 2 weeks for under $1,000. I'm a happy camper.

Here are the befores:

And here are the afters:

I love my $9.99 Ikea shower curtains!!

I still need to paint my little rusty stool (it was a curbside rescue). I use it as a side table when I take a bath. I know I want a happy color, but don't really know what color to go with...suggestions?

Comments (28)

• MiMi
    12 years ago

That is beautiful... simple and elegant. I also love the colors. I would be tempted to paint the frame around the mirror unless it's a treasured antique. I love the way you updated the bathroom and yet it still looks "old"... I have an old sink very similiar to the one you took out. It was in my grandma's house. My husband made me an outdoor fountain out of it. The water runs out of the fauctes and recirculates from a bucket underneath. He built a really neat looking cabinet for it..

• User
    12 years ago

Looks great. How did you do the outside of the tub ? I think I am ready to do mine. Did you prime/paint and what products did you use ?

TIA , great idea about the old sink...that is a great old sink !! c

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

It's beautiful! And just perfect for your house.

I have been looking for a small pedestal sink but now I want a sink just like yours. It looks to be the perfect size and the cabinet would be useful. Would you share the source for it?
    Maureen

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

Wowza! That is a wonderful transformation. I would paint the stool in a really light pastel. Maybe a light pink?

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Very nice!
    Color suggestions for the stool: coral, raspberry or yellow

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice words! I'm pretty happy with it.

dbfirewife, the mirror is far from a treasured antique. It was $5 at a yard sale 20 years ago. But I kind of like the warmth the wood gives. Your fountain sounds adorable. I love creative re-use.

trailrunner, the tub was easy. I scraped really, really well. Any places that were bare metal got a coat of metal primer. Then I painted with semi-gloss latex (I used Aura). It ended up with 3 coats, but that wasn't my plan...I just wasn't crazy about the first 2 colors I tried. Ended up with BM Kendall charcoal which is really dark. Love it.

maureeninmd, thanks. The sink/cabinet actually came as a package deal from Home Depot, cheap! I painted the cabinet. But here's a thought for you...We first bought a small pedestal sink that we couldn't make work because our drain pipe comes up from the floor, not snaked through the wall. The pedestal wouldn't work with the drain pipe. So we have a small pedestal sink sitting in our spare room, waiting to be taken up to Second Chance or Community Forklift (shipping it back would cost as much as the sink did). Here's the url: http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=3-871WH. Ours has 3 holes with 6" centers. If you're interested, let me know. I'd just as soon give it to you as to Second Chance. I think we're only an hour or so from each other...I'm just north of DC.

kitchenkelly and terriks, I like all those ideas. I'm off to grab my paint fan deck. I'm thinking high gloss if I can get it sanded smooth enough.

• User
    12 years ago

Thankyou !! Just one more ? what kind of brush ???

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

trailrunner, I like an angled 1 1/2" or 2" brush. I think mine was Purdy, but any decent brush will do. My new discovery is the brushes with the little stubby handle. It makes it SO much easier to get into tight spaces like the insides of cabinets or the backside of a clawfoot tub (you only need to paint the part that you'll see though). My painter friend says he just saws the handle short on his regular brushes, but I buy the short ones. My Ben Moore store always has them.

• User
    12 years ago

Ah....good now to pick a color...and get out the drop cloth...thank you . c

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

High gloss would be perfect. I have another thought..... Granny Smith apple green.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

It's beautiful!

I too would paint the mirror. I knew you were using the wood for warmth. But something about it is not quite right. Maybe because it's all on the walls? Yes I think that's it.
    I'd love to see a vibrant color on the stool. But I think you need something on the floor to tie in your wooden wall pieces. I'm no expert though, lol, I'm just thinking out loud.

• boysrus2
    12 years ago

What a pretty bathroom all ready for company! My favorite elements are the new paint color, freshened up tub and the light fixtures.

• zipdee
    12 years ago

You did a fantastic job! It looks beautiful.

• User
    12 years ago

kk do you mean mine ??? purely a high jack LOL :

tub:

in context...it is a wet room shower:

The Native American art work on the wall has a lovely shade of green...actually similar to cooked peas but pretty...also a smoky gray and more terra cotta shades...any suggestions ...thank you arlosmom for posting your pretty bathroom !! c

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

Lovely. I think bright yellow would look great on the stool.

• paintergirl94
    12 years ago

Love the printer's tray! I keep seeing them on CL, and I want one, too!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Love the grey!
    Do you mind sharing what color you used on the vanity and walls?

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

Arlosmom! That is such a kind offer! That sink is really great! Although my drainpipe currently comes from the floor, I hope to have that changed as this bathroom will have to be gutted. The floor is a mess, there's hardly any heat, and water has gotten behind the shower wall.

If there is a problem with my pipes and I couldn't use the sink, I would donate it. If you could send me an email, I'll get back to you right away.

Thank you!
    Maureen

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

That's a great transofrmation. I'm impressed that you did it in 2 weeks for that budget.

Do you like robin's egg blue or turquoise? Those colors seem 'happy' to me, and would be nice for the stool. Or apple green?

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful bathroom!

As far as the stool goes, if you have clothing or table cloths in the colors you think you might like, drape them over it and give it a try.

Or, is there any particular color you think would make the room brighten up? The walls seem to be a seafoam green, so you could go with the same color, but darker.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Good job! That color you picked for tub is perfect. Regarding little stool: I have always liked that dusty lavender color with grey. It would add a little 'pop' of color;)

*collective groaning heard round the world at my use of 'pop'*

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I think the stool should be the color of that yellow car on the shelf. That would be the perfect 'pop' (sorry, I couldn't resist!).

I have the same shower curtain, but mine seems to have more taupe in it. I love it too, we painted our bedroom gray, and the en suite is a creamy vanilla, so I wanted to bring some of that gray in there, it worked perfectly.

I would like to see a rustic floor cover, a small rug...even a wooden door mat, to bring the wood on the walls to the floor. I cannot find a picture of the type I was thinking of, it was wooden slats with a twill binding, but I did google some wooden door mats and found some neat ones.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the idea of robin's egg blue or granny smith apple green for the stool. I'm also considering a jadite green. There is a watercolor picture on the wall between the mirror and the door that has grays and greens. Cindy, good idea to drape the stool in clothing to try out colors. Maybe I need to go buy sweaters in all the pretty colors I'm considering. : )

Lisa, the color on the walls is BM Cape Cod Cobblestone. The cabinet is a mixture of a lighter gray that I bought and some of the dark gray from the tub. I didn't like my first color, so I experimented. I call it "oops gray". I actually wish it was still a little darker.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

maureeninmd, I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

• User
    12 years ago

Red for the stool!

LOVE the bathroom makeover, and IMPRESSED at what you accomplished on your budget in that time frame!

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

trailrunner, No! Not apple green for your tub. Silly girl. I meant the stool.

To poppers: I live in fear of my eyes permantly rolled back when I hear that term.

• jlj48
    12 years ago

I really realy love this bathroom. Great job!!!!!!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Looks SO wonderful - you did an amazing job! Love the tile and the tub so much. The paint is gorgeous too.