Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmnolen

Now I have a wall color paint nightmare!

gmnolen
12 years ago

I chose SW Friendly Yellow for my coastal themed room. When I got the color home and applied the paint to the wall, it looks like a lemon yellow. I held the sample card next to the wall and the paint is much more yellow than the sample! What now? I don't know enough about paint to have them "adjust" the color. HELP!

Comments (8)

• les917
    12 years ago

You don't need to have them adjust the color if it doesn't match the sample. The paint may not be right. Take a little bit of the paint on your finger and put it on one part of the sample. If the color is right, it will blend into the sample card. If not, then it wasn't mixed correctly, and they need to make it right.

If it is just too yellow for you, but matches the sample, then you need to tell them what it feels like and see if they can fix it for you. But YOU don't need to tell them how, just what you need.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry! Yellows are difficult, they always brighten up 1000 fold when they go up :)

Take it back to the paint guys, they may be able to tone it down for you. With yellow, you usually want to lean toward brown or grey. That's why SW Ivoire looks like a pretty yellow when it's on the walls. Doesn't look like yellow on the chip, that's for sure!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

I would start over if you can. Yes, use either SW Ivorie or Blonde. You will like both.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Oooh, yeah. Yellow can be tough as mentioned already. With all colors, not just yellow, the proportion and scale of color to volume and dimension is challenging to predict and is only exacerbated by square or rectangular shaped chips.

Circle-shaped swatches are more effective translating small scale color up to larger proportions - especially true with yellow. It's an eyeball, not an eyesquare. (I make my own circle-shaped paint sample boards)

Also, for a "coastal" flavor of yellow check out SW's Jersey Cream.

• User
    12 years ago

It does take multiple coats for yellows to look like what they are supposed to. If all you did is one coat, that could be part of the problem. Two to four coats sometimes is needed.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Circle-shaped swatches are more effective translating small scale color up to larger proportions

Interesting. Can you explain why? Does it have to do with how the eyes move when taking in a view?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Graywings, I wrote a white paper on the subject. It's kind of involved.

We'll start with one question. Does the human fovea have corners? Nope. The fovea is literally the center of all color vision - it's where the magic happens and the sensation of color vision spreads from there.

"The eye's sharpest and most brilliantly colored vision occurs when light is focused on the tiny dimple on the retina called the fovea centralis or macula. This region has exclusively cones and they are smaller and more closely paced than elsewhere on the retina."

And, yes, the eyeball is continuously moving and adjusting to get the light to fall on this region -- eyeballs are constantly working to provide maximum visual conditions to support the eye-brain system for vision.

The circle is ergonomically more accommodating to our physical vision system than a square. It's like shoes. You can wear four inch heels. They will get you around and where you need to go. But tennis shoes are a lot more comfortable and less physically taxing on your bipedal system - you can walk more efficiently, farther and longer in a pair of tennis shoes than you can a pair of heels.

There are so many things going on when we are working to choose paint colors that sometimes even the smallest things can make a difference. There is an ease and friendliness about a circle and it literally takes the edge off what can be a taxing task.

Then there's the argument of boundaries. As my friend Niki Fulton describes it, "Squares have fairly rigid boundaries and seem to contain the colour inside their shape. Circles on the other hand do not have such rigid boundaries and do not constrain the colour within them. They seem to allow the colour to radiate from the circle and make it much easier to imagine a larger space painted in the colour of the swatch."

Here is a link that might be useful: cite the source

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I agree with funcolors about Jersey Cream - much softer.

~Jeana