Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Help finding a table for a banquette

chloenkitty
9 years ago

If you have seen my previous posts, you know we are putting a banquette in our kitchen. I am having difficulty finding a table. I do want one similar to the one in the pic or it can be a pedestal leg. I cannot find one locally to purchase. I considered ordering a 4x5 slab of plain white corian from home depot and hoping I could commission someone to make legs, but I don't know who! Anyone ever have to buy or know where to get a table for a banquette? Thank you

Comments (21)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

My solution was a little unusual, but we used an old sewing machine base and then went to a local place to get a table top in the size we wanted. This is an old photo and we have new chairs, etc., now, but it shows the table/base better than newer pics.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue, I love that!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

If you go with the corian why not continue the do it your self mode and get a sturdy single pedestal fixture from a restaurant supply store. The issue with banquets are the legs are in the way when scooching in and out. A pedestal would be user friendly,

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You need some type of pedestal or trestle table for a banquette as legs at the corners will always be in the way.

If you are pushing this against the wall, you can simply secure one side of the table top to the wall and install one leg from IKEA to hold up the table as in the first picture. Or you can purchase a white trumpet base from IKEA or finally a trestle table.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Sue, that was clever!

Have you tried looking for trestle tables on craigslist? You might be able to find something you could revamp or use as the base for a new top.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One side of the table will be by a window and the other just out in the open, so no way to secure the table to a wall. I do prefer it to be a pedestal leg. I will definitely check a restaurant supply store to see if I could get a pedestal and ikea too, they are both good ideas. Glad I asked, thank you :)

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I had a X-trestle table base made by a metal worker on Etsy; they modified an existing design based on my specs/size. (I tried to find someone locally but liked their work better) However, it was leftover marble from my kitchen and so I needed to be careful with max spans and weight. Corian is lighter but watch your specs for spans and overhangs, and the maximum carrying weight of the base you purchase. See the manual linked below. You might want to consult with your fabricator.

As noted by pro @beverly27 above, a pedestal or trestle works best.

Besides the restaurant supply stores and tablebases.com there are also some woodworkers on Etsy and online shops stores that sell "top-less" wood bases like the ones above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Spec Manual, See Section 9

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Adding a link for Etsy --- the issue with some of these designs is that you may need some cross bars between the ends to support your top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy Search

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked at bases on ikea and a lot are not sold on the web and I don't have a store near me. I called a local restaurant supply store and they have pedestal bases, but he said if I got a corian top, I would need 2 pedestal legs to support it. I actually did look on etsy and have some messages out to sellers. I have never had a table made so if someone did make me a white table, I worry about the wood chipping, etc I guess that's why I was leaning towards a material perhaps like corian for the top. Should I worry about having a wooden table made white with chipping?

• voila
    9 years ago

I had a custom granite table top made and needed to find a base to support the granite. I shopped at a furniture store and found a base that was sold with a separate sku from the top. I then added a bun foot to the to leg to extend it and give us room to slide the chair arms under the table. I then added a piece of plywood to the top of the legs to give the granite a base. The granite installers glued a piece of plywood to the granite so that the two plywood pieces can be screwed together. All my additions were sprayed with matte black paint to match the base and disappear under the Verde Butterfly granite. This is an example of a furniture catalog showing different sku numbers for the base and top:http://catalog.findyourfurniture.com/item.aspx?itemid=-2040357991&itemnum=92651%2b2

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I can't help on this one, but chloenkitty, I am so looking forward to more pictures of your new home!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

We have a banquette in our kitchen and purchased our pedestal from Osborne Wood Products. You can have a fabricator make your corian top to your specifications, but you'll still need a way to fasten it to the pedestal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osborne Wood Products

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I ordered legs from table legs dot com for our island. They were wonderful to work with and, even with shipping, it was way cheaper than anywhere local.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Our breakfast nook is in a bay window with built in seating. In order to make the seating most useful, it requires an oddly shaped top. DH banged together a temporary table out of plywood and scrap lumber from our build, which we've been using since. We have contacted a custom woodworker and will hopefully be dropping off our narra wood planks (a gift from a family friend many decades ago) with him next week so he can get started on a custom table. Note the trestle so people can easily skootch in and out of the seating. A table with legs on the corners wouldn't allow that to happen.

I have no concerns about a wood top, especially with the finishes they have these days. However, I would talk to the corian guys...it is not a structural material and would need sufficient support underneath to keep it from bending/breaking. We wanted a corian bench seat in our shower and it required a steel frame to support the entire piece of corian to give it sufficient strength for the purpose.

A stone top would probably need less support, but more strength in the base to support the weight. Also consider if you want to move the table for cleaning purposes...the stone would be very heavy and could damage, say, a wood floor from the weight...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Chloe,

Your inspiration looks like a painted trestle table. That's what we have in our breakfast room; it was a swedish antique.
    Aren't you in PA? You might be able to find a local woodworkers (perhaps Amish?) to craft one?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is one that looks identical but brown wood. They just sold out of the lighter wood which was less $$

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to table

• flowerpwr45
    9 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh your breakfast nook looks so inviting.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Ditto mntnrdredux. Just look for trestle tables.

Here's one company. And a John Boos one. There are plenty around at different price points. Just use the correct term.

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I'm laughing because Beverly27 posted my old ikea banquette! I still have the bench in my garage.

I have a bench shaped like AnnieD's above and although I haven't yet purchased my farmhouse table, we are now using our old dining room table. It is oval and it work well for getting in and out. 4 legs are a pain, don't even consider it. world market has some trestle base tables at reasonable prices.

I think it's a challenge to find an oval, trestle base table. Add to that a specif size and it becomes really hard.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, flowerpwr!