Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Can't seem to get inspired

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

The orange/navy/white guestroom quest still has me stumped. In person, the only orange fabric that actually worked in the room and with the rug was the Scalamandre coral dragon. I just can't pull the trigger, it just doesn't seem like the right choice. But the other fabrics were a saccharine sort of peach and didn't work.

DH chimed in and said that he thought the palette should stick with greens and blues, like the rest of the 2nd floor (and 1st for that matter). He thinks we should forget the existing navy/coral rug and keep the whole thing more summery. Or, make the room navy and white and light blue, and keep the rug.

But his biggest point was that he felt that since the guest rooms are adjoining, they should be done as a suite, ie coordinating. True, when I think of our most frequent guests, often there will be a family sharing the two rooms.

Here is the adjoining or "back" guest room. The beds and bedding stay. The rug definitely goes. What direction would you take this room? Maybe if I start with this, the front guest room will fall in to place.

"back bed room" in this diagram:

One thought I liked was picking up some of the apple green from the bedding with this rug:

Comments (67)

• User
    9 years ago

Actually I was advocating for a rug only, and a wall color from it or coordinating with it......no other changes except perhaps pretty and crisp white Priscilla curtains at the window. And paint the desk?

Green rug (no pattern), sky blue walls, green painted desk with glass knobs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, might be fun to paint the desk, KSWL. What kind of green?

• allison0704
    9 years ago

If not braided, how about a rag rug? We had several Amish made rag rugs (even an 5x6) in the children's bedrooms and bathrooms, last house. Smaller ones can be machine washed/dried. They last for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rag Rugs

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow, those sconces are GREAT!

I really like the apple green rug, although it looks more yellow than apple green to me.

I'd keep it simple and light and airy with small touches of color ,like you have in the embroidery, a rug, and you could switch the glass pulls on the built-in for tinted glass pulls.

On the windows, I'd get the cheesy vinyl blackout roller shades, with a valance for them to hide behind when not being used, as in the pic here, and hang only white sheer panels.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I think those windows want sheers, or white with a single small twee detail, like one pink ricrac band.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for the Willow colorway

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Honestly, I love the green that's in the ticking stripe rug on the floor already. I think that shade pulls out the leaf color better. Maybe you can find a new rug that has that shade of green with blues as well. Here's one that is primary blue with green. Sorry, I don't know how to add it as a pic, just a link. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair -Alliyah rug

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Ugh- computer issues- double post!

This post was edited by sweet-tea on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 21:27

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do you have any more Persian rugs lying around?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

IIRC, just a runner left.

• User
    9 years ago

Granny apple green for the desk :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL, I think I really like the idea of painting the desk. Just the sort of light hearted note I want for a summer place. And something I would not do at home. Plus, the wood is already painted so no harm...

Marcolo, Pretty rug. Are you saying you think I can get away with something like these for WT? Is my observation "correct"; that WT should have less visual weight than bedding?

Allison, Rag rugs are too much like braided rugs to me, and i tend to like them more on porches or in mudrooms; maybe since they are not always soft?

Tibb, Funny you mention the sconces. They are original and I really like them. Everyone wanted to remove them. It is a bit of a problem that they are kind of appropos of nothing, but that doesn't bother me!

You don't think white WT are just too blahhh with all the white already there? The beds with their skinny mattresses already look like Downton Abbey when it was a wartime convalescent home, says DD.

Sweet-tea, The rug is actually blue and white! It's this one by D&A. IIRC it's 9x12, and I had it in my LR but it was just too flimsy, i replaced it with an Elizabeth Eakins pastel plaid that I love. So, again, an orphan. I don't think it's awful with the bedding, but it's totally the wrong size for the room.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Gosh I love how crisp the windows are. I think I'd get the shades Tibbrix suggested and nothing else!

I do like the idea of painting the desk, but other than that I honestly think you could leave the room untouched.

Maybe it's just me, but I love being a guest in comfortable, but very spare, guest rooms. Every little knick knack manages to get in my way. The simplicity is rather zen for someone who is dwelling away from home.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Normally I'd agree with you about the braided rug KSWL posted, but I am really drawn to that one for your room. The colors are perfect, and I feel that the homespun vibe plays very well with the coverlet and the airy-ness of the room.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If it were me, I would probably just do plain seagrass or sisal or something similiar. It is neutral and goes and is a nice texture and backdrop to the gorgeous room, furniture and bedding This is just one I had saved, Not sure about the border etc but an idea. It picks up on the color of the bed. just a thought.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Have you seen Sarah Richardson's cottage rooms? I like how she uses and places color/non-color in the rooms... it lends a very fresh and airy feeling without feeling cold. And she uses a lot of vintage pieces when she pulls a room together which adds to the cozy factor. The upholstered pieces she uses give her another opportunity to mix fabrics as well as add softness.

There are more pics on line if you do a search...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

mtn, guests need to have the option of sleeping/awakening in the light they like - some people like natural light, no shades, some like total darkness, and some are in between. I'd go practical and get the plain vinyl blackout shades, but hide them with a small "valance".

But that room just begs for very thin sheer curtains to finish that awesome look you've got with the sconces, the bed frame, and the white bedding and walls. Coastal Maine? Let the wind blow the sheers so they wisp around. Just wonderful. I'd hang them so they lend half way between the bottom sill and the floor. It's also a rather bridal look, which fits that room as well.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 8:53

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And I know this is counterintuitive, but since that is a vacation home, rustic/beachy, I'd actually paint the floor in that room white, then put that apple green rug on it. Very cottage-y, quaint, and pretty, which is what that room is screaming.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I like white but I think it's a bit too much white, it does look a little barren, so I like the idea of colorful rug and painted desk. I could even picture the walls painted or papered in sort of a 1940s pastel. I personally wouldn't treat the rooms as a suite b/c I agree with the charmingly ad hoc look for this kind of vintage simmer home--the collected castoffs look.

Could also really see some country (as opposed to sea) themes watercolors on the walls. And maybe some vintage cross stitch...Ok, now just decorating my own cottage.

I guess the vibe I'm getting right now is 40s farm girl sharing a room with her sister, or like Anne of Green Gables' room. Maybe it's the beds.

• User
    9 years ago

Mtn, have you walked barefoot on a chenille braided rug? They are very soft!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Block Print Stripe

• voila
    9 years ago

Just love the beds! Since they are feminine can you treat the rooms as Yin and Yang? Keep this room pastel, using the beautiful wood floor as the grounding base. Each bed could have a small rug next to it. Maybe small Aubusson's ? They would not have to match exactly, as if collected. I am sure you have tried every layout, but is it possible to turn one bed perpendicular to avoid the asymmetry of the headboards?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Pal, the block print stripe is gorgeous!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Strongly agree with marcola and tibbrix re. Sheer cotton curtains softly wafting on ocean breezes. A must! Also will need roller shades tucked under for sleepin- in. I grew up in the south where our rugs changed with the two seasons: winter and summer, and in summer the bedroom rugs in most bedrooms were rag. They evoke sleeping porches, gardenias and salty air. Sigh.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Well, spring is here and soon it will be summer and we will need the beachhouse guestrooms again. I just ordered this Missoni-esque area rug (the D&A post above reminded me that I wanted to try it in the room, and we are headed up soon to meet with contractors).

I did get white sheers from Serena and Lily, with aqua fringe. We shall see!

window treatments

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

hmm, i went to order the rug and they have come out with a new one, hmm

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

The top rug has the aqua in the curtains but I kind of like the simplicity of the bottom rug. Without reading the thread, I assume the floral is the bedding? Very pretty!

• User
    9 years ago

After seeing this thread again, I wonder if you could find wallpaper in the print you were going to use for the roman shades. That sort of wallpaper is always in style for a bedroom in a house of a certain age. Then crisp white curtains at the windows, the striped rug in your most recent pic, and a green painted desk.....heavenly!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I like the second rug you posted, and love the curtains with the aqua tassel fringe. They'd look great in my guest room, hmmm, ;-)

For the front bedroom, I saw this pic and thought of your room:

Hills Beach Cottage · More Info

Wouldn't your navy/coral rug look perfect in here?

• User
    9 years ago

Awe, your room has the prettiest elements, I love how peaceful and calm it looks. The simplicity of the blue and white rug is perfect (IMO), the bolder ones with more color are just too busy.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Thanks, Luck. Who was it, Robo?, who said she imagines it as a rooms sisters would share in an Anne of Green Gables era. I loved that, having been there 2 summers ago and having read that book as little girl and then to my girls1

JLC, That's a great room. I never posted mine, I will have to when i go next; the bolster was not done when I was there last time (thxgviing!)

Yes, Joanie thanks.

KSWL, this is sort of the lowliest bedroom in the house, 2 twins, no ocean view. I am too cheap to do wallpaper plus not really wedded to this theme, just using hand me down bedding and rolling with it. If I were going to go to the expense of wall paper I would start over from scratch I think.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Yes to the last rug and I love the sheers with fringe!

Looking forward to seeing the finished room!

• amykath
    9 years ago

The new rug (stripes) is perfect!! It is more subtle than the other yet still has a punch of color. I love it!!

• User
    9 years ago

How about a soft cornflower blue or light green paint on the walls and those white curtains with blue ball fringe? I like the rug much better than the missoni one.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

You know, no one likes Missoni but me, LOL. Whole family was against it too. And I think I am just still regretting that i never bought a Missoni sweater coat I saw at a Bergdorf fashion show (my one and only). Trust me, that was a good decision.

KSWL, paint is not a bad idea, except for continuity. The entire upstairs is painted white. I tend to feel if I change that in one room, it will look like a sore thumb. Oh I know, you want me to paint all the other rooms, too!

Thanks, ATK and Kitchy!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would be looking to add alittle more color to the room ... like the white WT, but would go with a more colorful rug--I prefer the 1st of the last two you show in your room... or something more like that one...

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

yeah, I hate to say it, but I love that room just the way it is...if I did anything, I might add something with the lighter green in the leaves of the duvet somewhere and that's it.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Paint that cute little desk green or blue or whatever - it's kind of lost on the white wall.

Going to be such a cute room even if its the no view, ugly duckling. Just needs killer artwork... :)

You know, kind of as a surprise

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

You could go wild to go with the missoni?

I know it's not worth it but allow me to continue to dream of floral wallpaper a la Anne of Green Gables.

A little understated but I like the soft colors and tying in the off white of the beds to the pure white of the linens.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Robo, too funny, I have saved that last photo before, a few years ago iirc. That is very much the look I wanted here in CT. I too really like the pure white with the off white with the ivory, and the patina'ed items. So go even more in the same direction, ie and all white and cream room!

Well, the last rug is on its way. I will see how it looks. But Robo, I really like the idea of all white room!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I LOVE those curtains! I like your last choice best of all. You have a great guest room ! I really like the bedspread, sconces and bed frames. Very cute! You have to post pics when it is done.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, that patterned wallpaper is so charming! The stacked vintage suitcases are too twee for words, though.

Yes, I def think that if this is the lowliest bedroom it needs something to recommend it....painting just the one room or the pair of rooms will set them apart, in good way. "John and Nancy, we're putting you and the girls in the blue rooms upstairs" sounds so much nicer than "John and Nancy, you've been exiled to small, featureless rooms with no ocean view and secondhand bedding discarded by my 11 year old!" .......even if the latter is just implied by your apologetic tone and they are thrilled just to be there!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Hey, I like where kswl is going with this! What name do you want to give the room? For example, wouldn't it be cool for the front room to say "Jamal and Peggy, you're in the Dragon Room." Or are room names more B&B than five star?

My new theme for my guest room is called "I scraped cat hair off the comforter for you."

• User
    9 years ago

Oooooo! Dragon room, PERFECT!

Lol, Robo! We have The Blue Room, The Twin Room, and [Kid's] Room for our guests. Until I finally redid the twin room it could have been called The Decorative Accessories Graveyard Room.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Sea captain ... Adventure.... Exotic places. That's really all I got.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I dunno, but Dash & Albert's order fulfillment center must be in one of my neighbor's barns or something. You saw my post about ordering last night? The rug was here when I got home from the city today!

KSWL, you guys are a riot. I am glad to see you are having fun! I do like "the Dragon Room". Maybe the other room should be the Lucy Maud Montgomery Room. My girls wanted to name the Maine house Hydrangea Hill (we have both), but I can't see naming a house when you have a house number. The cottage, well, I think of it as sort of a Rat Pack Hideaway or even Trader Vic's, but a lot of my audience would not get that at all!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I have to brag, I haven't been to Green Gables in 25 years but look at "Anne's" bedroom! (I had two bedrooms like this growing up, btw, but with pine instead of iron). Anyway, I was pretty on the money. How's the rug?

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Robo, We were in that very room two summers ago, when we did our "Northeast Quadrant" tour. Kind of a funny thing you might be familiar with, but surprised us. Green Gables is a very big tourist site for the Japanese. She's an extremely popular character over there, in part because, as I understand it, reading the book is part of their high school curriculum. In addition I think there was a popular cartoon version in their country. At any rate at least when we were there Japanese tourist far out numbered Americans or Canadians. They have an old carriage in the courtyard, and in it there is a straw hat with red braids attached. People put on the hat and sit in the carriage and have their picture taken as "Anne". You might imagine it doesn't look too authentic with the Japanese tourists. So they were asking my girls to model the hat and taking pictures of them! Too funny.

Ahh, I love PEI! Gorgeous. And have you been to the beach where you jump off the bridge? My kids adored that.

I'm hijacking my own thread.

Oh, and the rug! Still wrapped in the clear plastic they ship in. Looks good but i will wait till we get up there to unpack it and view in situ.

• User
    9 years ago

That is exactly the right inspiration for your guest room, Mtn! That lovely wallpaper sets the period feel of the room and provides enough background that additional color is not really necessary.

Robo, that picture of Anne's bedroom is exactly how I pictured it from reading the books and how it looks in the movie. DS2 loved AOGG as a middle schooler, he fancied hi,self the same kind of free spirit as Anne.

Hydrangea Hill is a beautiful name, everyone in the U.S. with a named house still has to have a number for 911 so you wouldn't be the only one. You could have stationery printed, and one small, understated plaque with the name on a low post at your driveway's end. Your girls have exactly the right idea about all this!

Your threads are always fun! They morph in the most unexpected ways :-)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

mtn, we in the maritimes are REALLY familiar with Japanese tourists' love of Anne of Green Gables. The most adorable national obsession ever.

Cute story, we were in Nagasaki last year (BEAUTIFUL place! I had no idea what to expect and I absolutely loved it). We did touristy stuff during the day. At sunset I convinced my husband to stop by a waterfront park to observe locals before getting back aboard. An older lady approached us asking if we were from the ship and where we were from. On hearing Canada she got pretty excited to talk about Anne of Green Gables and concluded by saying that for Japanese, even the older ones, "there's a little bit of Anne in all of us."

Fave shots from the park

More Nagasaki anecdotes: I was excited to see my first REAL Japanese garden in JAPAN so I dragged husband to this vaunted garden near the ship. Little did I know it was the oldest European-style garden in Japan! Then we spent about 20 minutes looking for the Glover Skyway, which I thought would be a scenic hillside road but was in fact an elevator. So then we followed these signs that said "Mountain Observatory - 400m" (btw there is little English in Nagasaki so we had to get a lot of pointing help from locals) and ended up going up MANY hundreds of stairs to the very top of the nearest mountain. But the path was very cool, going through backyard gardens and a beautiful forest full of informal shinto shrines. So it was worth it even though we both almost died.

To make this slightly relevant, your bedding looks kind of Japanese, you could do a sort of upscale japonisme room.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Love the rug your ordered/received! I really liked the Missoni one as well but I think the one you got will suit the room perfectly. Oh and I have those S&L curtains in my daughter's nursery. Love them!! They are perfectly beachy.