Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Tell Me About Home Goods: Worth It?

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

Albuquerque has just gotten it's first Home Goods store, which opened while I was out of state a week or so ago. I've never been to one before and was wondering what you all think of it. I'm heading down to Abq tomorrow to run errands and wondering if I should make a side trip to HG. Is it a good place to shop? What do they sell? Is it another Hobby Lobby? Michaels? Kohls? Christmas Tree Store?

Lynn

Comments (70)

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

It's worth it. For me it's hit or miss only. When it's a hit, it's a huge hit. Most times I walk out with nothing. It's the fun of the hunt. I visit 3 different store almost weekly.

I bought a RL end table there for a little over $300 in perfect condition. Saw the same one at ABC Carpets and Furniture in NY for $1800. I have also bought several table lamps. Great designer bed linens.

• User
    11 years ago

I love all the stores in the TJX empire because I am a budget oriented shopper and don't mind hunting for deals. We buy all of our coffee and tea there as well as funky mustards, relishes, salts and other food items, all good quality, all good prices. I like that their decor items are not just made in the POC, I have stuff purchased there from the US, Canada, Africa, Spain, India, Italy, Turkey and Romania (and probably more). Our HG also has books, stationary, crafty things (lots of Martha craft stuff), tons of rugs, furniture, picture frames, etc., etc.

It's worth a trip IMO.

sandyponder

• User
    11 years ago

"Disposable decor" about sums it up. But I am seeing from some of these replies that there are regional differences among the stores. If that's so, the stores in the city nearest me are more downscale than up. I've also gotten impatient with the sheer volume of artifacts for sale in this world. Do we really want all this junk? We already know we don't need it.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

I like HomeGoods, it's fun place to shop. It is hit & miss.. and my Home Goods is just a little over a mile away, and I know their deliveries days! (4 times a week - they try and get the stuff onto the floor within 4 hours! I do find great towels, pillows & often lamps! Furniture - I have a few things from there, and while it's not junk, it's not high quality either - but occasionally, I will find Drexel Heritage! Kitchen items, small decor items - are always abundant, and what I really love - is that they will take back an item that I bought MONTHS (and even over a year ago)!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

One thing about homegoods: they definitely favor new stores with the best merchandise. Ours is adequate, was quite nice when it first opened. I troll around in there fairly regularly, but rarely find anything to buy.

A lot of is not discontinued, but rather seconds. For example, I got a swell pseudo-Lenox-Butler's-Pantry pitcher for flowers, but I have to be careful how I turn it or you can see that it got handled too much before the clay really set up.

In my area it doesn't matter whether or not the prices are competitive. It's that, Walmart, or Target. (Theoretically we have Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but with one of each for a such a large population you literally have to be waiting when they put the merchandise out.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>4 times a week

Four times a week! That just shows you. We get deliveries every Thursday during the season, and every other Thursday during the rest of the year (about 9 months).

• redbazel
    11 years ago

Check out the website Lynn, and if it looks like it would appeal to you, it probably will. I see that the Alb. store will be 20,000 square feet. My Fresno store is 25,000 ft. So, I'm happy for you that you are getting a big store. The Fresno Home Goods is one of the nicest HG's I've been in. Have been in 3 in Florida and 2 others in Ca. Some are combined with TJMaxx and I think are not as great. Many items in our local store are of excellent quality and great designer names. Recently bought a Ralph Lauren bed skirt and a gorgeous designer lamp. I check there first for wedding and anniversary gifts, plus sometimes find a darling baby shower gift. I have a huge nice area rug, many lamps, all my sheet sets, mattress pads, towels, some mirrors, dishes, caphalon skillet, and so much other stuff purchased there over the years. I don't love it at clearance time, but that's it. I even have a nice living room table that was good design and well made for $79.00.

As others have attested, their return policy is wonderful. And I would take back a $5 item if it didn't meet my needs. Yes, I'm that petty.

Red

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

It definitely varies by store and location. Dh and I love these stores (Ok! I do and he tolerates it) and visit them whenever we're traveling. (Not really sure why, I rarely buy anything these days- don't need much- but when I find a bargain, I'm excited! I also know what I will NEVER see there and what to expect to pay for many things.) We went to one in Burlington, Vermont last month and a Marshals in downtown Boston- We stumbled upon it while lost, a TjMaxx next door, too. There is a certain amount of stuff that is everywhere, but some stores do get better merchandise. The best Home Goods I've been in as far as quality and quantity, is in Myrtle Beach. And that store is ALWAYS crowded!

When we were window shopping in Montreal, we went in one boutique that had a wide selection of very pretty magnifying glasses. Dh wanted one for work. I was able to tell him that Home Goods and Marshall's has the same exact ones -all the time- for less than ten dollars (these were 40 Canadian )and that I had two at home.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I was near a Home Goods last week which is unusual for me, so I thought I would check it out. I happened to visit just as they were putting out loads of Christmas decor. They had some interesting decorations at reasonable prices, especially if you use red or green. I didn't buy anything because I don't have any storage space, but I was tempted by a few items. If you have extra time, it's probably worth a quick tour, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

LOL, Red. I can be petty! But usually lazy wins out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think it's definitely worth a look. The stores vary not just by region....I've been to 4 different stores in my area and they are all different.

I've gotten linens there, art work, they have a nice selection of rugs and I've gotten art glass pieces for hostess gifts and such...they also have things like fancy little soaps or fancy flavored vinegars or other bottled food items for gifts or display.

But in terms of pricing, you can't beat Christmas Tree shops, IMO. But they are really hit/miss.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The stores definitely do vary. I went to a couple to try to complete a set of discontinued Gorham stainlesss and when helping my mom find additional pieces of a china. Last Christmas I gave my son a Waterford saxophone I found there for $19 and I'd never seen it anywhere else. I have a crystal lamp in my bedroom that was around $100 and I saw the exact same lamp (tag and all) for about $600 at a lamp shop. It needed part of the base straightened -- easy. I have a wool rug in my living room that was $135 on clearance and the rugs in my family room and breakfast room came from there also. I've bought a couple of pieces of All-Clad there and the sheets for my dad's new apartment this summer. It varies -- sometimes you find things unexpectedly and other times, nothing at all.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

On a rainy miserable day I head to HG and T.J. Maxx, they're side by side. I buy high end baby items, all my linens and puffs. I love the bath items, lamps. Most of all I just like to look at it all and then leave feeling ready to go home with visions of pretties in my head.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

I don't shop there (I am in a minimalism phase aka cheap phase) but I have gotten 2 gorgeous wool rugs there for my kids rooms- great deals, hundreds less than the rugs I was about to get at PB and same quality - so I think it is worth it if you are stalking something specific but dangerous for browsing... At least for me!

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

Do you suppose HG varies by region? Maybe some stores just have better quality merchandise/more interesting things than others?

Absolutely. Around here, there are 4 or 5 Homegoods within a 45 minute radius. The one in the rich "old money" area (Mainline Philadelphia) has much MUCH nicer things than the others -- almost to the point where you wouldn't think you were at the same store. Another one that is close to the huge shopping/mall strip is always really picked over and doesn't have much - I'm not sure I've ever bought anything at that store. I have better luck with the ones that are in smaller shopping centers far away from the mega-retail areas -- guess folks don't want to drive all the way out there just for Homegoods or something.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I have to agree, they do seem to vary mds. by store/location. Middle DD who lives in Orange county and I have had success at her store, it could be in Ladera Ranch, or not too far from there.

San Diego has a kick butt store, probably close to the one in Orange, and packed to the gills, never see empty shelves.

The Austin store opened about a year ago, and i've been there twice, and disappointed both times. Many empty shelves as well as limited mds. We were told the truck could come up to 4 times a week, but that's hard to believe. Maybe it's time to check it out again.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I don't really shop there very often. I go in a couple of times a year (usually right around the holidays). I've found some fun seasonal decor items and hostess gifts (seasonal) and a nice, really big stainless stockpot (to replace the one I burned burned on the stove!). Generally speaking it's too mass produced/already seen it in bunches of other stores for my taste.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

I've browsed in the one near me in Austin, and have never bought a single thing.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

One of the caveats of shopping at these places is that if you want something "wonderful", whatever that may be, you might not see it immediately. Frequent browsing and an understanding of what they will always carry as opposed to a one time item, also helps. This is hunting, you might make a kill, maybe not.

I've had people tell me, "Oh, I went there once and didn't see anything I liked". Ok, that's fine but these kind of stores aren't meant for you!
    I say the same thing about Good Will :-)
    I don't like thrift stores in general, they stink!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Here in the DC/Maryland area the difference in merchandise by area is marked.

I have picked up linens, teak patio furniture, a rug, a chair, and lots of candles. Some lanterns, too.

It's one of those places you have to pick and choose. The one out by me is next to Marshall's. What that means is absolutely nothing, but if you want to clothes shop...

It's fun to look around. You never know when you might decide you need a new lamp, cookware, crystal, china or dinnerware, or knick-knacks to dust.

I'd go. You're there, aren't you? Decide for yourself.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I love to shop there, but I usually leave emptyhanded unless I'm looking for a small decorative item, candles, ornaments or vase. If you have thousands of dollars in your budget, I'd skip it. If you have "hundreds" to spend then it's worth a look. Not always real wood, lots of particle board furniture but sometimes something Thomasville or other name brand is thrown into the mix to keep you coming back. They have wonderful throw pillows and rugs, too!

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I was excited to learn we had one near our Ikea, so on my trip to Ikea, I stopped at HG first. Personally, I wasn't impressed. Reminded me of just what it is, a bit nicer than TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Ross. A little less exotic than Pier 1, and a whole lot nicer than Tuesday Morning or Burlington Coat Factory (which ironically has nothing to do with the Burlington brand or a coat factory...but that is neither here nor there).

However, my comments should be taken with a FWIW qualifier. I have several Goodwills and a whole bunch of 'antique' and 'collectible' (what my DH calls 'girl stores')near me and I can usually find the same stuff as those stores for less.

But I'd say check it out, since you never know what you'd find.

• lorichats
    11 years ago

Home Goods is my guilty pleasure lately! I have a store 5 mins from my home, which gets deliveries 5 days a week,and has a huge turnover daily. If you see something you like and want to consider buying it, you must grab it and hold on to it as you shop. However, if instead,you decide to walk through the store, and then go back for the item, 9 times out of 10 it is already gone. There is another HG about 20 mins from me, probably three times the size of mine, but unfortunately, I do not get there too often.

• wagnerpe
    11 years ago

I love Homegoods. I don't buy a lot, but I love to look. They always get a fantastic supply of terra cotta pots in Spring at great prices. I bought 4 last year to change up the look on my back patio.

It's also good for things like summer holiday gatherings; great summer themed platters, grill tools, s'mores skewers - that kind of thing.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your feedback about Home Goods! I think I'll check it out today while I'm in Albuquerque running errands. I absolutely do not need even one more Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas decoration, so I'll steer clear of those temptations (LOL)! And, having gone through a lamp-crazy phase a few years ago, I have more than enough lamps. Too bad, as I love great lamps.

I'm happy to hear that they may have some good prices on linens, though. DD has been asking for another set of sheets for her dorm bed. She says the ones she bought from PB to match her comforter are "so pretty but, being a low thread count, still scratchy" (I told her!).

I was pleased to see this new HG store come to town, but since we already have Kohls, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, Pier One, Burlington Coat Factory, Target, Walmart, Williams Sonoma, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Cost Plus World Market, Pottery Barn,and Anthropologie it sounds like it may be a fun place to wander though occasionally but won't have much that I can't find at one of the other area stores. I'm off to go check it out.
    Lynn

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I've shopped there for years, but hardly ever bought anything until recently.
    I am not sure if my recent finds are because I am decorating to the current trend or if I am just more sure of exactly what I want. I feel I could spend hours on the internet looking for the perfect decor items and accessories, but the price is often too high, the scale / size is not ideal, and returns are a pain and costly for shipping. At Homegoods, I just love that I can buy things on a whim and return them if they don't work out as planned.

Lately, I just seem to hit it right and I feel like I've found some unique things.

Coffee Anyone? I just LOVE these canisters. You wouldn't find these at Bed Bath and Beyond

A sofa table less than a foot deep (its 9"). Guess where I'll be keeping the crayons, markers, stapler, etc. Yes, it needs some minor repair and I plan to paint it, but it is a good fit. They gave me 20% off because its not in perfect shape.

I'm lacking space for a coffee table, but I can pull over this multi use barrel stool to put down my drink, snack, laptop. And I love the decorative wall scrolls. Where else would you find these? I didn't even know I wanted something like that until I saw it.

I think everyone needs a good bucket:

And lastly, I just love my new bookends.

Yes, I am now a homegoods addict.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You have to be careful of linens at Homegoods. I have some sheets I bought there that claimed to be 300 thread count, and maybe they are, but they're also short staple cotton and never did become really comfortable, despite many washings.

Incidentally, I often see homegoods articles mixed with the really high end stuff at designer showhouses around here.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Let's see - sadly (or happily) w/in my home to work to grocery shopping range I can hit 3 HG's, 2 Marshall's and 2 TJ Maxx's and that's only me remembering off hand! SOme HG's I don't really bother going in that much - usually only on whim. I only shop 1 TJ Maxx anymore (they recognize me) and that's because they still have layaway.

Like many other poster's mentioned - it can be hit or miss for 2 of my HG's but I could easily find something at the 1 anytime.

I don't haunt any of the stores (okay - maybe my TJ Maxx) like I used to and only because now I know exactly what I'm looking for so it's easy for me to breeze in and out.

I get a lot of my bedding at the stores & a few seasonal knick knacks. I have found a fair amount of 'core' pieces there for my home like my jute rugs, best floor lamp, awesome table lamps, bedding, silver metal accent table. These are all things still in use in my home even after the long haul. I wish I would have gotten the needlepoint bench but I couldn't justify the purchase since I didn't 'need it' or have a designated spot.

I can't really imagine buying major furniture or chairs from any them.

For years I used to get myself into deep trouble at those stores but once I starightened myself out I got a vision and have happily stayed on track.

I still stop weekly though - just in case!

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

I agree with those who say it's hit or miss but I've had just enough "hits" to keep me coming back. I've bought bed linens there and the lamp prices are awesome. I rarely find nice lamps at other stores for close to the HG prices. I also recently bought an 8x10 rug for DD's room that was on clearance and I found the same one for sale online for more than twice the price. I've had great luck with getting cute throw pillows, too.

I don't buy bigger furniture pieces there, though. The quality usually seems more iffy and they don't seem discounted enough to make it worthwhile.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well . . . I ended up going to Home Goods yesterday and I was underwhelmed. The prices and the products were comparable to our TJ Maxx, although the layout and merchandise were both more organized. That may be because it just opened, though. Less to choose from in every department except for lamps. And . . . despite what I said ~and truly meant~ about wanting absolutely no more holiday decs, guess what I ended up buying? A new Christmas tablecloth and English crackers for our annual Christmas Day dinner that we host every year (LOL)!
    I guess that I can justify the tablecloth because I've been using the same plain green one for at least 7 years now. Although I always vary the tablescapes, the holiday dishes and tablecloth have embarrassingly stayed the same throughout. I thought that our guests deserved a new one. I got this Waterford one for $49.99 (our dining room table is 119" long table).

As for the English crackers, our guests love them and look forward to them every year and so I indulge them. I'm just glad that I could find 3 packages of the same style so easily this year. I guess it pays to shop early.

I'll probably continue to stop in there occasionally, but overall I really do like Marshalls and TX Maxx better for me.
    Lynn

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Just got back from a HomeGoods shopping trip, having scored a bronze Ralph Lauren candle stick lamp for $49.99, and a white RL ceramic lamp on clearance for $69.99. Now I need to find a second white lamp to make a pair, because I have two tables and this lamp is perfect! Also bought a large Mitchell Gold Japanese lantern thing on clearance, which I have no idea what I'm going to do with, but I love it anyway.
    Like TJMaxx, HomeGoods is hit or miss, and some stores are always better than others. I find enough really nice things at good prices to keep me addicted.
    Just remembered- a couple weeks back, they had Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro cookware dirt cheap. That's what I use, so I was happy to pick up a few extras. Also Staub dutch ovens.
    Sometimes it's all trendy but cheap stuff, but they do get good brands in and you can't beat the prices.

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

I just came from there! Bought a really nice silky grey sweater on the TJ MAxx side, dog toys, towels, Christmas garland, etc. I love to browse their cooking and dishes aisles. So much fun! They are my first stop for linens, silverware, utensils, luggage and mostly decorative things . I am craving a beautiful dark red leather chair that feels like sitting on a cloud. It wasn't very cheap though!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I like the tablecloth and it's good to freshen up your holiday look a bit. I just acquired some of my mom's table linens, so I need to steer clear of that area myself.

I forgot about my last trip -- I bought two new dog toys and they are having a ball with them -- especially the huge green floppy spider. Nothing like 8 squeaky "legs" to tug on. LOL

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

I love Home Goods and picked up some wonderful CoalPort salad plates for pennies.
    I have hit gold there on several occasions in linens and
    rugs.

When I was in my 30s & 40s I thought everything I bought had to be "the best." Not necessarily the best price but the best quality.

In my late 60's now I wish I had every dollar I spent on
    the best.
    A Schonbek Dynasty Crystal lamp or a Waterford Crystal
    lamp looks no better to me now than a Crystal Tapered from
    HG for 99.99.

Its all in how you display and the eye you have for making a silk purse out of whatever it was my mother always said lol.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is their selection of pet beds is really nice. I was looking for a stylish gray dog bed for my office and found one there for $30 that is really nice with a washable cover. It coordinates well with my curtains (Ikea linen) and wall color, and best of all the dog really likes it :)

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

I love Homegoods, especially their linens and kitchen stuff.
    There are many around my neck of the woods but I do prefer the one closest to me, it seems to have new things every-time I visit.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

Homegoods, TJMaxx, Marshalls....all those stores have a combination that means they don't do a thing for me: if you have a lot of free time and like to wander around in stores, you can find a random assortment of merchandise.

However, if what one needs is a certain specific widget, it's almost impossible to go into one of those places expecting to find it, because the stores carry a random assortment of merchandise that changes constantly.

Right now in my life I don't need or want more clutter, and I don't have a lot of free time to fill. So I am not likely to amble around those places regularly and when I need something I want to know I can walk in, get it and then leave. My MIL loves TJMaxx; like others have mentioned, she likes to go regularly and the bazaar aspect is a lot of fun for her. The prices are low enough that she frequently buys small items--don't know if this is national but there is one day a week that she gets a senior discount on top of the regular prices. That thrills her depression-raised heart, let me tell you!

I strongly prefer to go to stores like Macys, JCPenney or Target: I walk in, go to the department that carries whatever it is I'm seeking, find it, buy it, and leave.

No right or wrong, guess it just depends on what you prefer and your lifestyle at the time.

• lorichats
    11 years ago

It's hard to go to Home Goods with a specific item on your shopping list. You really need to go with an open mind and just check out what they recently got in stock. I recently needed a new tea kettle and all HG had was a bright yellow one. It was adorable, but didnt work for my kitchen, so i wound up going to Bed bath and beyond.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Near me TJ Maxx and Home Goods are in the same store. Never have I felt the quality of their offering to be particularly "upscale". I love the food section when they have their coffee emphasis going beginning around holiday time. They carry the trends in decorating. Things are very picked over and look tacky on the shelves--but once you get a piece home and no one knows from wense it came items appear more valuable. Perhaps the ones that stand alone have more to offer?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I found quite a difference between, say, one of the HomeGoods outside of San Francisco, and one in the DC metro area. Not only is my HG substantially larger, but it certainly carries top brands, such as Rosenthal (crystal), Wusthoff (knives), Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade (furniture, linen, china) to name just a few, as well as unique pieces. If you see something good, grab it. There are lots of interior designers and stagers shopping.
    However, my store is big enough that I can actually find even specific items, such as kitchen utensils, towels, storage items.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HomeGoods is great for bath towels and decorative knickknacks.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Make sure you have access to at least $1000 bucks. I can't get out of there for less!! Everything is very tempting. Wait till Christmas... OH MY!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I have found many things there. I got this chair for 199.00 It has held up with my cats and is comfy too! Here it is in my last house.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, is your "home" HomeGoods store the one outside SF or the one in DC? Could you post which specific stores you're referring to (I live in SF, but I'll be in DC in the fall).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

My home HomeGoods is in the DC area. Probably the best ones are in Tysons Corner, VA, and Rockville, MD.There's a new one in Georgetown, but I haven't been there.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I go in every few months for dishtowels and table linens. When there, I do a quick spin through housewares and have found some great buys such as Oleg Cassini crystal napkin rings (modernist design) box of 4 for $12. The $60 for those really spiffed up my holiday place settings for 20 people. I use cloth napkins daily and like switching up placemats, tablecloths and napkin rings depending on mood.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Since this thread last appeared, I bought two really comfortable linen chairs for my LR (an updated wing back shape) - one at our HomeGoods store and one at a Marshall's about 25 miles away. Also found some towels I really like -- bought three sets after searching for months and finding only the same not-right colors nothing but solids or solids with embroidery. I was bored with all those and was relieved to find a couple of patterns and a fun color. That's on top of my 3 wool rugs, chunky crystal lamps and a lot of my All-Clad and bakeware.

I've been told our store gets deliveries 6 days a week. If you see something you like, you'd better put in in your cart while you think about it. With both my stainless and the chairs, I got what I could and called around to find another, risking a return if I didn't find them -- but I did.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, thanks. Which was the Bay Area store that you were "less than impressed" with (the only one I've been to is San Carlos, and I don't know how it stacks up).

• echobelly
    9 years ago

Definitely worth it, but it's hit or miss. One near me had a recent shipment from Gardener's Eden, lots of beautiful ceramic planters for little money. Great selection of rugs, too. Sometimes it's just a bunch of junk, though. That's why I like it.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

San Carlos, a couple of years ago.