Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Custom light fixture looks big to me

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

This is being custom made so the size can change. It will be in copper, allowed to oxidize.

I have seen rules of thumb on chandy size but they only seem to contemplate round chandy's.
\

Comments (30)

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I agree. It looks large to me too. Have you seen this in person or are you ordering from a catalog? Do you have a close up? Are the lights on the end focused down on the table. The fixture looks like it's meant for a room with a cathedral ceiling and not for over a table.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I am not sure it's too big - it would certainly be a statement, but since it's nice and airy I don't think it would overwhelm the table. How does the width compare to the width of the table? How many watts of light does it give off? If those are 25W bulbs you may need something that size to give off enough light. I like your idea of being able to hang things off the chandelier - great feature for a summer house.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've seen a similar one in person. I thought it was too large so Im having one made. The table is 4.5' wide by 9.5'' long. I think this is still too big.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I agree, that looks too big. Too long, too wide. When sizing, I would consider how it will feel to sit beneath (it's also unusual, so factor that in).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marinagal, the width is less than 75% of the table width. (the metric i see on google).

I can choose the wattage. I am the queen of dimmers, so I will probably chose a fair amount of wattage and routinely dim it.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

from How to Measure for Chandeliers
    "Choose a rectangular chandelier for a rectangular table that is in keeping with the proportions of the table. For example, for a table that is 54 inches wide and 72 inches long, the diameter should be 27 inches. Subtract 27 inches from the length of the table for the result of a length of 45 inches. The rectangular chandelier best proportioned to this table would be 27 inches wide and 45 inches long."
    Using this formula yours should be 27" by 87"

Here is a link that might be useful: HowtoMeasure

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:11

• Fori
    10 years ago

It does seem a little big, but of course it won't feel as big in copper as white.

In white it reminds me of a whale skeleton in a natural history museum. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Fori!

MLweaving, hmm, but doesnt it look too big to you?

For example, here is a photo on their site, and I think this looks way too big for the table pictured.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:28

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Maybe a bit too big in the photo above and also too big given its dimensions relative to your vacation home table. Since it's so wispy/ethereal I think it needs to have some scale but not so much that you bump your head into it when you're sitting down....

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Well now I like the fixture! The mockup could not figure out.

It's pretty low there, too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, he created a new one.

36W x 56L x 24H (versus the first one which was 40W x 70L x 30H)

I think it's much better. It will be in real copper, allowed to verdigris, and it will have tiny holes in the bobesches so that, if I want to, I can add oyster shells or seaglass or doo dads. Quel horreur, je sais!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I like the first one better. I thought it was too big until I saw the actual fixture.

The second one doesn't have the same impact.

Love the fixture btw.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Agree, the second one is now too small, lol. Of course, that table size is totally skewed now too.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, now I get it. I thought the lights were in the tips of those pieces that curled down. Duh. I think it's cool looking, very nautical, like the frame of a boat. It still looks too big for over that table to me. Why don't you do a mock- up with some pipe and thick wire to get a feel for the size in your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: boat frame

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

My post above referred to the original size.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Well, now it does look too small, but the more "stuff" you hang off of it the more visual weight it will gain.
    Still, I'd have him make it a bit bigger.
    Remind us, what does the table that's going underneath it look like? Is it a trestle table?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Since the drawings he is sending look so distorted and not to scale, I would draw my own up, front and side views to see accurate dimensions of what I like.

All the images posted look like it is hanging too low which doesn't help.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I think the width of the second one is good, but maybe it could be a tad longer? But not too much.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont think they are distorted at all; they are CAD CAM drawings.

Do these images he also generated help?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the table again. The table and buffet again the wall stay. All else TBD.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I love the table! I love your windows. And your home. It's fabulous. I love the setting, the exterior, I especially love all that heavy paneling.
    And I feel I should apologize, but I just don't feel the love for this fixture.
    It almost feels, even when it's too big, as if its too insubstantial.
    And I'm really concerned about the light output, since you will likely play games and do puzzles and use this table for more than just low-lit dinners,

That said, you have an overall vision and I'm certain it will all come together in a great way

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Agree with red lover. Like the first one---you could raise it a half inch if it seems to overwhelm the table.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MLW, That's okay. You don't have to like it! It's unusual so that means a lot of people won't like it. I want something airy, so that's one of the reasons I like it. Btw, unless I end up not liking them and remove them, it will have oyster shells hanging from it, too!

As for the amount of light, it has 16 candles (humming here). I can choose the wattage. So function is not at issue.

KSWL,
    Really? Did you see the photo of it over someone's table? I thought it looked all wrong, like a dirigible about to land. I have to have someone measure for me but I am pretty sure the ceilings are 8.5'. I don't think that calls for a huge chandy.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Who manufactures this fixture? Lovely. Hanging art over the table.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I don't think it's the greatest fit for the table. It's not a great fit with the table on the website. It's a bit "raw" or something for the table and sometimes the raw-refined dichotomy works, but I don't think its' working here, so much.

It would be a better fit if the table were the raw component in this mix, and the chandelier was refined. As if the house was a bit fancier than the furniture that came later.

I think it is because they are both based upon tradition.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Beverly. I first saw it on a site of a local shop near the house. I felt it was too big so contacted the mfr. "LowCountry Originals". They never even responded. I talked to Urban Electric, who'll custom make anything, but are very pricey. Then I remembered I'd seen similar work on Etsy, and that led me to the link below. I am not sure if they are the supplier or what, but they seem to be pretty serious business people. And the price, even in copper, is significantly less then the 5k at LCO.

Pal,

I get your point. But I worry more that the chandy does not fit the room, though.

The table may look formal but it is a dull finish, which to me reads informal. We expect to eat most meals in this room (very similar to our CT house, where we use our DR every day because it is fairly casual furniture and because it has the view). I am adding the windowseat, and probably changing the rug, both of which will make it less formal. Lastly, I want to put those little white linen skirts on the chairs --- also casual.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom lighting

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I do like the fixture but feel it's not substantial enough looking with your heavy furniture pieces and orientql rug. I don't think it works.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k9 --- the rug probably doesn't stay

We bought the place furnished; it is the POs

But, if the issue is its not being substantial, that is kind of the point. I don't want to block the ocean view straight ahead, and the garden view as you walk in.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:07

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

In that case, I would try to lighten things up by either removing the rug or replacing with a sisal or other airy feeling carpet. If you're keeping the chairs, I would reupholster with a lighter fabric or even consider painting them.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K9,

I agree ... as I said above, i am going to slipcover the chairs in white linen. And the rug will probably be in the sisal Seagrs vein, like the LR

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:16

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia