Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cellular shades- Hunter Douglas, Graber, Bali? HELP!

Posted by myfirsthouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 13:05

Hello! my first post ever here, but I've been checking out the website for months and you guys are great.

Need to buy window shades for my first house. I'm looking at cellular shades (motorized if we can afford it) and have priced out HD and Graber, and I've also seen Bali shades on blinds.com.

HD is very expensive, Graber is expensive but affordable, and Bali on blinds.com is much cheaper. I'm looking for some guidance on the best bang for the buck- I want good quality, but I also don't want to spend $10K on window treatments for the house (which is what HD will cost). Any thoughts on what's better in terms fo quality, durability, and affordability?? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cellular shades- Hunter Douglas, Graber, Bali? HELP!

Have you done a search of the forum? We've had this discussion several times in the last year and there is a lot of good information on those threads.

I've always used HD and I'm happy with the product and support. They can break and HD will stand behind their products. Waiting for my last batch of HD blinds for our guest house to arrive. I did the main house in 3 stages, mostly because I couldn't decide what I wanted! It did spread out the costs! Even in the guest house I first used the temporary $10 blinds until I decided what I really wanted on the windows. Took me about a year to get around to making the decision.

o

Thanks for the info! I read several posts on the subject and I found lots about HD, but I didn't find that much about Graber shades. I'm curious to hear if people's experience with Graber was good- it's more in our budget and seems fine to me.

o

I purchased 6 Bali double-cell shades (Northern LIghts) from Stevesblinds.com during a sale (they always have what seems is a never ending sale). We got cordless (free upgrade) and really like them. We push them up and down daily and they are very well made, and very soft (not cheap, crunchy feeling). Supposedly you can scrunch them up and they bounce right back into shape but I haven't tried that. In other parts of our house, the PO put in Hunter Douglas mini blinds and a (gasp) vertical blind on a doorwall. While I hate the look of the vertical blind, it is top notch, as are the mini blinds. When we first moved in I called Hunter Douglas to come to the house for my 6 windows. The rep warned me it would be about $400 a window - I almost had a heart attack - she quickly added they are guaranteed for life, though! The Bali's cost me around $83 a window and we hung them ourselves without any problem. Sorry, I don't know anything about Graber, but I would definitely recommend Bali.

o

I have had Hunter Douglas top down bottom up cellulars for years. Installed in 1994 and they still look almost like new. They really do stand by their product as I have had to have a couple of them repaired when the cords broke. I did have to pay a minimal fee to do so (I think it was just for shipping, but I don't remember). I just shipped them out and they repaired them and returned them to me.

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 1:08

o

Just wanted to check in with group and see where Smith and Noble fits in the cost benefit tradeoff. It is easy to get quotes from everyone, but more difficult to understand what will hold up.

Also want cordless top/down - bottom/up with long tall windows - some seem to have length limits and wonder why this would be so variable? Maybe the mechanism?

o

I just learned that Graber is offering a free upgrade with their top/down-bottom up shade for the next 3 months. I think that is what I heard, I was too busy looking at the samples and deciding that I had better bring in pictures to show her the look I was going for.

Myfirsthouse-What did you decide to go with?

o

I have double cellular shades from blinds.com, their own brand, throughout my mountain home. They are very effective for energy savings. Be sure to ask for free color samples which are mailed quickly. Customer service is good and the prices can't be beat.

o

I put all HD shades in our new home last spring . If you are a Costco member you can get them from them for at least 30% below what you were probably quoted. For their price they send their contracted decorator to accurately measure windows, help with various choices and place order. They also send professional installer to install.

o

We bought one Graber shade from a local store to see how it worked out before doing the whole house.
The customer support is good -- they came out three times and replaced the shade at no cost since we had trouble with it, but even the third one has a poor mechanism for the cord that raises and lowers it. The shade itself is not bad -- decent quality that seems durable. The first shade was too short, and the second had a failed cord mechanism. The colors were exactly what we had selected.

o

We got Levelor top down shades for our new build house from Lowe's when they were on sale. Had them install them and have been very happy. Have room darkening in the bed rooms and it really makes a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here