Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomtrek

sofa and chair fabric

tomtrek
10 years ago

I posed this in the furniture forum and realized that that was the wrong place. Sorry for the double post.

The attached image shows the sofa and chair I have purchased. They await my decision on fabric selections. The leather is on the left, under the chair, and the fabric is on the right, under the sofa. An image of the wood and finish sample is also included on the left. The color of the wall is close to that shown. The image between the sofa and chair is the art that is planned for the wall behind the sofa.

1. What are you thoughts on leather for both sofa and chair? (This was my original idea)
2. What are your thoughts on fabric sofa and leather chair?

Comments (65)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"LuAnn_in_PA: what colors did you use for sofa and chair?"

The Morris chairs are a hunter green.
    The sofa is a Stickley fabric that has greens, golds, and rusts in it.

I used the sofa colors to decide on the paint... a reddish color for the walls, tan for the ceiling and moss green crown molding.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LuAnn: that sounds wonderful, wow. Hunter green, hmmmm, I wonder if I should make a change.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

I think you should use the clock photo from Praque over your sofa simply framed in black.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have this one in the entry hall; is that too many Prague clock photos? (This is a low-res file, the image is sharp)

I too think it would be a good 'over sofa' image.

A friend of mine suggested four over the sofa, stacked. what are your thoughts on this idea?

I put the fabric options on hold. what colors would you suggest?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This thread gave me pause; thank you.
    I too now think this combination will result in a cold visual sense to the room. I like the leather selected for the chair, although that is up for change as well. So, I looked at fabrics that would give more warmth, add texture, and provide more visual interest. The composite is now my new idea.

From past experience, the rug is not going to be as bright as we see on our monitors.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up of fabric for sofa

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I like the sofa fabric, it does bring a lot of texture and color into the room and I love the blue leather arm chair. The rug echoes the geometric shapes in the sofa fabric nicely but I could also see you using this rug.

Edited for spelling

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

This post was edited by holly-kay on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 22:36

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I assembled the other items, I came up with the items shown in the composite. A different fabric for the sofa and chair, new art, Tiffany lamps and a Gothic end table (mahogany). I have no idea if this all coordinates, but it sure has visual interest.

Please don't hold back on your reactions; if i like it, it's probably wrong.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like everything but the sofa fabric and the green pillows...they don't seem to work well with the other colors.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I might be stuck with that fabric until and if I decide to change it; that was my choice when I placed the order and this was later put on hold pending a final decision; it now seems that this request was too late and the sofa and chair were upholstered in this fabric.

Of course, I can change it after delivery, which is next week. The cushions are removable. So, the good aspect is that I can get whatever fabric I choose; not limited to what they offer. However, I have no idea what to choose. What do you suggest?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a toned down version, matched end tables and lamps, I know the trend is for no match, but I like balance, symmetry and harmony. I like hunter green, someone here used that and I got that idea from her, so thank you.

I think this brings attention to the photo and not the furniture.

Ignore the pillow color.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I really like the teal a lot!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I like all the wood and sharp sharp corners on everything. It doesn't look like a very warm and inviting room in the last photo.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabric will be leather; color: hunter green.

These end tables and coffee table will be in the same wood and finish as the sofa. From the same company; solid wood.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Your room is taking shape! not sure how helpful my thoughts will be at this point, but Is the order final? If not, have you considered a round coffee table with square or rectangular end tables? FWIW I'm with Annie I loved the teal with the artwork. The hunter green works, but the teal and photo sing. While not my style, I think I liked the Tiffany lamp with rounded shades rather than the slender, sharper torchieres in the last picture. Just don't forget the rug I think it really helps to warm the room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like the teal better than the hunter green. Also the tables look nice but too matchy matchy. I'd do the square end tables and then maybe something different for the coffee table.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the sofa is ordered, and will delivered soon. I will have it re-upholstered locally. Depicted is an all metal coffee table with a copper top.

The lamps are 37" tall and the end tables are 22", I am not sure I will get these lamps; they seem a bit too ornate, but I like the concept of a table torchier. Thus, the lamps depicted will be at about that height relative to the photo.

I did not intend to use teal; that is how the color turned out when I used Photoshop to modify it; I wanted hunter green. However, this mistake has turned out for the best; thanks to your comments I will consider teal.

1. Do you like the rectangular end table and the round coffee table?

2.Should the sofa be done in leather and the chair in leather with the same color?

3. Should the sofa be done in fabric with the chair in leather of a different color?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the same coffee table with matching end tables; back to too much matching, but I wanted your thoughts.

As noted, these end tables are 1/2 inch higher than the sofa arm. However, there will be an adjustment device added to the sofa legs to raise them. So, they can be at the same height. I have not yet seen this device.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found these end tables after I posted the previous post. The height of these is 1/2 lower than the sofa arms, so this is better. I also like the shelf, and the legs better.

Here is the description of these end tables:

The Bassett Mirror Bentley table group is constructed using fruitwood veneers and a durable, stain-resistant faux leather insert. The wood is finished in a rich tobacco tone with a complementary antiqued tobacco finish on the insert. The all steel slatted shelf base has a perimeter apron and features a handsome gunmetal finish.

However, since I am not skilled at this, I seek your opinions.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I came to regret my decision on the Amish sofa; I didn't like the Arts and Craft motif, and I could not find end tables and lamps that I would coordinate with. I could not find a fabric color that I liked, so I became unhappy with this purchase. (I realized late that I didn't like my original fabric choice.)

This lead me on a quest for a different sofa. A traditional three cushion sofa is too large for my space so I looked for two seat sofas. I found this Hyde sofa and liked the shape. it is higher, and deeper in the seat than the Amish, which might not be good, I am not a big man. I like the the look and think it looks great in leather. This style lends itself to the varied and more eclectic motif that I like.

So, I have a decision to make:
    1. take the Amish and sell it, or give it away, and buy the Hyde sofa.
    2. keep the Amish and decide to be happy with it.

Finding the end tables in my last post helped with liking the Amish. I like the three cushion seating of the Amish, like the wood, and the width looks better with my photo. Also, it seems like it belongs in an 'old world' setting, which is what the Prague Clock depicts as do many of my photos.

I seek your opinions. Thank you.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Tom- I think maybe all our advice has led you to buyers remorse. im not a fan of the pea green leather on the hyde sofa. what color or wood tone do you have in the room? what are the dinensions of the room? i often find people say they dont have room for an 85-88" sofa but in reality do.

You liked the sofa + chair enough to order. So maybe before making any rash decisions you should get the piece in your room. Add a rug. Decide on art work and tables then lamps. Only after doing that would I consider selling the pieces at a loss. The blue should be easy enough find coordinated pillows etc. I think the stickley sofa could easily fit into an eclectic room. But then I think it's more essential to have a mix of tables and lamps. A you already have two matching pieces in the room which read arts and crafts. A interesting console or chest under the TV, some end tables, a basket or trunk with blankets and throws, etc and your room starts veering away from an art and craft vibe.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the Hyde sofa can be in any color, I am not skilled enough with Photoshop to get the colors I wanted. I tried to make it hunter green and also a teal, but both attempts failed. So, picture the Hyde sofa in teal or Hunter green.

I see your idea; take delivery and then work with it. I will have it re-covered locally and I do like the teal. I like the round tables. I also found some lamps. I think now I am happier with the Amish than the Hyde.

Is your suggestion to not match the tables? I must say this, although I understand this concept, and can be persuaded to choose different items, I also tend to like balance and symmetry.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Once you have the pieces you may find you like the blue. I understand symmetry. I was suggesting you consider a different cocktail table with 2 identical end tables in a different style than the cocktail table. That way the sides are balanced in your eye but the different cocktail table adds some interest.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Tomtrek, all along I thought your photograph seemed rather incongruous with your Amish furniture choice. The Amish and old world combination seems to clash. Not sure what you can do to tie them together in a cohesive way, but I would try to tone down the 'theme' decor and go with more neutral furnishings.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree. Should I accept the Amish for now, and get rid of it next year? Is the Hyde sofa a better choice?

What do you suggest I do to tone down the theme decor? I am at a loss for ideas.

I have other photos, maybe that is the best way to do this.

I attached a photo with my latest idea; does this tone down the theme look?

I need to make a decision on the sofa: refuse it or accept it. I'll irritate the very nice salesman if I refuse; if I accept it, it might not be what I want. I need to find something better before I decide.

This post was edited by tomtrek on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 17:58

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If the Amish sofa does not coordinate with anything except for Craftsman then I need to made a decision. For this latest composite I made a few changes.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Do you have any inspiration photos? Or any photos to show us what the rest of the house looks like? I'm not sure what advice to give as I don't understand where you want to go. The last photo does not work for me. The white is jarring. One trendy compass lamp is enough. It seems incongruous with your previous statement that you'd like symmetry.

this is not my style, but i still feel one can easily pull off a warm "eclectic" vibe with a wooden sofa but I think it requires more mixing as shown in the attached link

Here is a link that might be useful: [Eclectic sofa design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/2010-symphony-showhouse-eclectic-home-office-new-york-phvw-vp~131727)

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I also am not sure what your vision is for the room. Is it more about showcasing your art rather than creating a certain 'feel' to the room? If so, I would suggest more transition decor that won't compete with your photographs. I wouldn't lock myself into highly stylized furniture. I would personally not accept the sofa (I don't think you'll be happy with the 6 cushions popping up every time you sit down anyway) and continue looking for something else.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

What do you use the room for? What size sofa do you need? How large are the photographs? How is the rest of your home/room furnished? You really haven't given us much information with which to help -- only the photos you want to hang which, in my opinion, basically clash with the arts and crafts decor. Like I said before, if what you mainly want is to showcase your photographs, you have many options that won't compete with them.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Reading quickly, but I think you should keep it for now (can't return, right?).

Why? Because I think you are picky (as most of us are here) and won't be happy until it is all right. Give yourself time to plan.

I think the new photo and fabric color are really going in the right direction. A huge improvement over what you started with.

You are an artist and can see things-- just give yourself time and don't rush the buying.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k9arlene : Thank you for your concern for this project. I appreciate you direct and sincere comments.

This project began when I framed the Ceksy Balloon photo and realized that the decor of my small house detracted from the image.

My goal is a comfortable area that showcases a few photographs printed on canvas and framed. The room will be used to host guests and for me to watch TV and read. I do not have a family.

iheartgiantschnauzer: I attached an image of a room that I like; it looks comfortable. I am not sure I'd like a leather sofa though. They look good new, but when I saw a photo of a leather sofa that had been used for a few years, it seems more like a big lump of brown leather than the nicely shaped sofa it was when new. I might prefer a fabric sofa and a leather chair.

In that composite with the white table, I was trying, in desperation, to find a way to use the Amish sofa. Your attached image of an eclectic style is really nice, I doubt if I could pull that off.

Did you see the layout of this space? I'll post it next.

I went to the Ethan Allen site and now wish I'd gone there a long time ago. What got me away from traditional furniture is the size, the sofa's are 88" long, way to big for what I need. So, I went with the Amish because it is smaller. What I didn't know is that some sofa's in the Ethan Allen line are not huge. The link is to a sofa that i like, and it comes in a three cushion that is 79" If I had seen this before, I'd not have purchased the Amish sofa. The color options are wonderful. It also comes in fabric. What are your thoughts on this sofa?

Is this sofa style more suitable for my purpose, which is to have a comfortable area for guests and for myself that brings attention to my photographs?

To help me make a decision, will you help me put some items with that sofa, or another one, that coordinates?

If I can see what this will look like, then I can reach a decision, although at this point I am almost decided to not accept the sofa. The salesman has been nice though all of this, but now he is not happy. He does not want to put my sofa on his sales floor, "under these conditions" I don't quite understand why that would be so bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyde sofa

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

anele: I have not yet accepted delivery on the Amish sofa, so if I refuse it I lose my deposit. If I accept delivery, the I pay the balance which is more than twice my deposit. Then, I buy things to coordinate with a sofa that I don't like. It seems that the better course is to lose my deposit and buy things that I like and that fit my goals.

Here is my layout: We can talk about lamp placement later, I realize that flanking wall displays with lamps is not right.

Here is a link that might be useful: another sofa I like, 77

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Umm. Is anyone else getting an odd sense of déjàVu? Wasn't there a woman a few months ago who had the same balloon print and had a small house who insisted she never entertained but had the exact same room placement? With map chairs IIRC?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was me,yes, sorry if I caused a problem. I started over with a new idea. I lost my log-in information and so I created a new one. I didn't think it mattered since this was new idea and not a continuation of that idea. As you recall, with the help I received on that idea, I decided to not go ahead with the purchase.

This time I made the wrong purchase. So, now I must again start over. I have received wonderful help here and I hope we can continue. Please forgive me if I did something wrong.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Tom- I missed a few posts then because I thought that poster desired to purchase some Bassett sofa? You've done nothing wrong. My apologies. Good luck on your room.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

i definitely prefer the Paloma. It seems to coordinate with your art and isn't quite as stylized as the Hyde. You will have many more decorating options with it. Do you not like leather?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pillow back on the Hyde might be more comfortable, but I too like the lines on the Paloma.

Update: I sent a note to the Amish store which stated that I don't want the Amish sofa. lost depost = $3,000. Now for a new start with no mistakes.

So a fresh start with new ideas. Should I start a new thread?

Why do I need a sofa or loveseat? Two men won't sit on a loveseat together, maybe on a big sofa, but never side by side. So, why not three chairs?

I like leather chairs, but the leather sofas I've seen look beaten up after a few years. I saw a photo of the Hyde sofa and it didn't look so good. Come to find out it had feather pillows.

This post was edited by tomtrek on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 16:13

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I love your idea of chairs rather than a loveseat now that I understand how the room will be used. I think they will be much more functional. $3000 is a pretty big hit though. I would start a new thread to ask what manufacturers people recommend for good quality leather. I love your latest arrangement.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

I may be off in left field, however I dislike the layout. There seems to be a lot of wasted open space. The chair arrangement reminds me of a sad doctors office strewn with various waiting areas. maybe it will look better with coffee table and rugs etc. however i think the room appears smaller because of all the visual clutter with the various tables and chairs then the tv in the far end dissected by the walkway. It also doesn't look inviting to me. stucking with the chairs, have you considered 4 chairs a tv where the prague photo is? then use the alcove for a bookcase or closet or display or built in bench etc? This way the seating area is grounded by an ottoman in a intimate conversational circle and the TV isn't dissected by the walkway.

The dining are? What is on that barren wall underneath regensburg? Have you considered switching the rooms? I seem to remember something about photography and why you want the front room to stay one way, but I don't recall the particulars. Anyway I think I said it before and I'll say it again a banquette or window seat would look great. Then the table and two chairs. It would add more depth to the room.

As for furniture, I'm not sure why you went from that very very traditional Bassett sofa which I thought you stated you purchased on the last thread to the craftsman. They have very different feels and would seem to take the rooms in entirely different directions to now considering the Paloma.... My advice is just to pick ONE piece you love. Stop looking at other options for that piece then maybe start a new thread asking for help building upon that room. You may solicit more advice that way as people will more easily understand what to suggest.

How does this area relate to the rest of the house again?

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k9arlene: Yes indeed it is a big hit; that is the price of buying without a plan. it is better to lose the 3K than to continue spending money and not be happy with the result.

I am glad you like the arrangement. I think it will suit my guests also.

iheartgiantschnauzer: I like forum discussion because opinions vary. I like the open floor space, I want to show my photos and I want guests to have open space to move about. I will have easels set up in a few isolated spots and the open space will allow for movement; I hope.

The house floor plan is one of the worst I've every seen. If I have struggled with this layout for a long time and not much works. The TV is fine where it is; consider all the electronics for the tv; putting it on the Prague wall would add to a cluttered look.

There is a photo on the wall labeled Regensburg. I'd like to have a table under the photo, but the front door opens to a small entry and then to the area you refer to. Anything in that space would restrict the entry. See what I mean by a poor design?

The Bassett sofa was too big. I am finding that any chair made is too high from floor to cushion, too wide, and too deep in the seat, for me.

Picking one piece without a plan is what got me into the mess I was in. So, it seems the best plan this time is to have a plan and then pick the furniture. My idea, this time, is to start with the purpose and find items that support that purpose. Starting with a theme and working around that theme seems a better approach.

the rest of the house is just three small bedroom reached by the hallway to the side of the TV

I as work more with this layout, the more I want to move.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Have you looked at Room and Board furniture? I just visited their store for the first time and it's really wonderful. All made in the USA and great quality. They have a small recliner that looks NOTHING like a recliner - it might work for you and your guests for watching tv. It comes in a few fabrics along with leather, but they will custom make it in any of the fabrics they carry (which is a large number of choices).

Here is the recliner I liked so much...truly you would never know...

Here is a link that might be useful: You can see it in any leather or fabric choice here

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Love that recliner! Hadn't thought of that as an option. My recliner at home is the first seat guests run to when they come to visit.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday I went to a furniture store and sat in chairs with the same rise from floor to seat and the same depth of seat as the Ethan Allen. I did not fit the chair, my feet didn't touch the floor and they were not comfortable.

Later in the day I sat in Ekornes furniture; perfect size, very comfortable. This is a shift in style, but necessary. I will start a new thread for ideas on other items to coordinate. I will use the three chair concept, but Ekornes is now my choice.

The color I chose is their Forest Green as shown in the attached picture.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I'm glad you found something you feel comfortable in, but I fear, again, that you are going with something that is highly stylized and will be difficult to combine other furnishings with and may conflict with your art. Sorry.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't be sorry, I appreciate your input and I agree. This time I will find everything that will coordinate with this furniture and see if I like it. I have not bought this yet.

This is the only furniture that I fit into, so my options are limited. There is no point to having furniture that is not comfortable. I liked the way I felt in the chair. It just seem right for my body.

Now for the search for the other elements.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

To me, it seems just as incongruous with the style of your art as the arts and crafts furniture was. I would keep looking around and sitting in chairs that are of a more transitional style until I found one that was comfy. I know it's out there. Good luck!

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

For some reason when I look at the chair, the movie flight of the navigator comes to mind. Now back to the task at Hand -- do you love the style? Will you love it in 5 years? If the chair fits you but isn't you style get all the dimensions from the ekornes site then ask a sales associate to show you chairs with those dimension in whatever style you love. Jessica Charles makes some great chairs in smaller sizes.

I don't really think furniture has to match art. I just think the rest of the room has to flow. You've shown us trendy tripod compass lamps and ornate Tiffany lamps. I have no idea what your style is but I don't really see either working with this style of chair. I also can't envision this style of chair giving you the same vibe/feel/look as in Ethan Allen room you like.

• tomtrek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that movie, except when the voice changed to Pee Wee Human, but anyway a fun movie.

You made very good points. What choice to I have? The Ethan Allen furniture is way too big for me. I will bring a tape measure to the store see what I can find. The other store salesperson said he had nothing that would fit me.

The tiffany lamps are no longer a consideration. the tripod lamp is something I want, as long as it fits.

If the furniture is comfortable, is it impossible to have the other items give me the same feel as the Ethan Allen room? Does the style of furniture matter that much? What is about the Ethan Allen room that gave me a sense of comfort? It was not only the sofa and chair, it was the all the other items. The reality too is that even if I had everything in that room in my room it would not look as good; that room is huge, it has beautiful windows, and a fireplace.

I think I can, with some help, find items that coordinate with the Ekornes and provide the same feel as the Ethan Allen room. I doubt if I will furniture as comfortable.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Tom- I respectfully disagree. I don't think you understand me. If you look at the room you posted everything is variations of tone. The sofas are brown, the walls are white, curtains kind of beige/burlapy, theaccent chair is building on the tones, and the tables as well. Take a look at the art on the mantle - even that is white with darker tones. The only real bright color is the plant. However you're suggesting a room with 3 chairs that will have the leather color then a wood tone (no calming anchor like the sofas) as well as several very saturated colorful photos. My concerns have nothing to do with architecture.

It's very hard to give any kind of real feedback when you post a picture of a room you'd like to emulate but then want to work around elements that make that vision very very hard to achieve.

And I don't think you need to take the measuring tape to the store. Look on the ekornes website or call the salesperson. You should be able to get both interior seat dimension as well as total width, height, and depth... That way you can compare across lines and find something that you love.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Tom, I don't know where you get the idea that you will never find furniture as comfortable because one or two stores said they didn't have a chair to suit you. Do you live in an area with limited department/furniture stores? The wings of the Ekormes will take up a lot of space in your small room. I still think you should keep your seating simple have fun with the accessories. Afraid I will not be able to help you if you go with the Ekormes as I just can't see it at all in your home. Maybe you should hire a decorator. Hope someone else steps in.