Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

What is this, a brow brush for giants? Xpost from antiques

bpath
9 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? (I x-posted on Antiques, but I read here mor often) My MIL gave it to me. The handle is about a foot long. The carved flowers continue around it. The bristles are coarse but not too stiff, maybe horsehair? MIL hails from England, so it might be English, but could have come from a trip. She's not sure! She's just cleaning out cupboards :)

I imagine it's great for dusting small things, or getting between the "objets" on a shelf.

Any ideas? Maybe it's related to "the perfect broom" lol!

Comments (7)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's a type of Chinese brush used for art and calligraphy - sumi-e brushes are very collectible.

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the mystery deepens! I can't imagine why she would have a sumi-e brush. I love that art style, but she has none in her home, and I've never noticed anything else Asian there.

I think she had this hanging on a narrow bit of wall. I'll probably do the same instead of dusting my chandelier with it. That was a close call!

Thanks, dlm!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Try Google images for Chinese Calligraphy Brush and see what shows up.

The "beads" on the handle are more of a Chinese thing.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Well, I could certainly be wrong - wouldn't be the first time! I have a friend who collects antique/vintage Chinese and Japanese brushes and it looks just like some of hers. Many are chiseled to a fine point but some are just like yours and used (I think) for the larger ink wash areas in a painting. Perhaps your MIL did use it for dusting in and around small objects - I'm sure it would work well. Scroll down a bit more than half way in this link to see some brushes and read a bit about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumi-e Brushes

• bpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is fantastic, I think I will hang it with my (small) Asian art collection. Well, "collection" is pushing it a little :) Thanks!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Yep, calligraphy brush. Picked up a few when we lived/worked in Tokyo. I even bought a small rack that you can hang them from, but I didn't buy enough of the smaller sized brushes, to be able to display them on the rack.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

You need to get some ink and play with that thing! In art school, I used those brushes a lot, because they were cheap. ( ok, the bamboo ones were cheap) Recently, I was contracted to paint a Japanese style screen on a special type of rice paper and bought a bunch of brushes...I think they are goat hair? I forgot how much I enjoyed using them. They produce a very distinct mark....they hold a lot of ink and yet can produce very fine lines. Very different from westerns artist brushes.