Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twochicklets

Please help with a baffling space

twochicklets
9 years ago

Hello, I need your help. My living area is awkward. You walk right in and it's all very open. There is a space between where we have our tv watching area and the foyer that I would like to furnish but I have no idea what to do. I was thinking maybe 2 chairs and a table? Needs to be outstanding and special as it will be first thing seen upon entering house. THANKS in advance!

Comments (26)

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the questionable space

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What is to the right of the entry? It does appear to be a big wide-open space. Have you considered a fairly large round table with a drop-down hanging light over it and a round rug under it?

I can't tell if you already have a hanging foyer light, but if so, it isn't bold enough to carry down into the foyer. I'd also keep something tall in the center of the round table. And maybe move the plant in the urn to the dividing column between the foyer and your living space. Perhaps get a taller urn for that plant to fill up the space.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU outside playing! There is a study and coat closet to the right of the foyer. No hanging lighting in foyer, dining room or living area! Very minimalist. I have planned to add a chandelier to dining room and change out the pair of ceiling fans with matching pendants, I like your idea, maybe I'll get 3 pendants. Would you suggest chairs with the table? The foyer looks straight out to a wall of windows with a view of the hill country, so that's where the eye is drawn.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

A round table is the first thing that came to my mind as well! I have always been completely enamored of this table at Martha Stewart's Skylands house.I think you could achieve something like this on a more appropriate scale.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I also thought of a round table. I want one too! If I only had the space.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I hadn't really thought about chairs, but stools, if there is room to push them under the table, might be ok. I was thinking of keeping the foyer more open. Stools or chairs might make it look too cluttered, but you could experiment and see what you like. It might depend also on whether you use a rug or not under it. And maybe the stools would come in handy if you need extra seating on occasion. Something to think about.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The people we bought it from had a grand piano in the space and that was perfect! I love that MS table. I want to do a round table but I do want some kind of seating with it, stools?? I hadn't considered up to now but hmmmm. Like I said previously, I want it outstanding. Isn't there a type of chair that is a little shorter like a courting chair? I love tufted and upholstered. Really need something that will coordinate with the rest of the stuff. And if I do a round rug, how do I coordinate it with the 9 x 12 right in front of the fireplace and the other 9 x 12 in the dining room?? I'll try to take another photo from the front door looking in.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 4 pics to add from ipad so next 3 posts also

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Number 2

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#3 this is the ex-piano future round table space

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And 4

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would do a large round table. Not sure about the chairs. Would need to see it. Our CL has tons of large round tables. I would check out CL. I would do a square rug.

Here is a link to square rugs. I think many of them could work in your space. I would likely go for something different in pattern that what you have in the living and dining. Something that would have several colors in it and not geometric.

Here is a link that might be useful: rugs

• jjam
    9 years ago

YES to a round table! Not sure if I would put chairs with it if you have another dining table nearby. It might just be confusing. A round table where you could put a tall vase in the center would be so lovely and welcoming. Very jealous of your space :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd leave it as it is, with the cases on one wall and that pretty sideboard on the other, but I'd put a beautiful Oriental rug (a REAL one) down. It's a pass-through area. I wouldn't want some huge table or seating to have to walk around to get to the FR.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I'm even more hip to the round table after seeing your photos. Would only do stools with it for large gatherings. If I love those big round foyer tables because they give you such a nice place for your eyes to rest when you walk in the door. It will be great!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I agree with Tibbrix. When people mentioned a round table, I thought they meant the decorative ones that you put a large vase of flowers on.
    But, that would be for an entry foyer.

Would you consider rearranging your furniture? Have one of the sofa's back facing the entry. And maybe it can be pulled back a bit. Then get a table to put behind the sofa. Decorate it with a lamp (as a decoration) a large floral arrangement etc. this way your eye will move past the empty space to look at something decorative.

I often wonder what builder have in mind. Windows are another issue. Some are really beautiful from the outside but difficult to decorate with window treatments or furniture placement inside.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Completely agree with ellendi re: rearranging the furniture in the TV room.

Ideally, I'd:

1) remove the love seat altogether. It is too small for that room;

2) get a much larger rug;

3) get a second full-size sofa;

4) put the sofas in an "L" shape, one facing the bank of glass doors, one facing the FP, arms touching each other, square table tucked into the square the two arms make;

5) Leather chair at a diagonal next to the FP, facing the square the two sofas make;

6) Move the TV to a more compatible viewing place, namely on an articulating arm to the left of the FP, so you can pull it out and at an angle when you want to watch, and push it back against the wall when you're entertaining;

7) Put a nice mirror or painting or something over the FP (sorry, I just really do not like the TV over the fireplace thing, at all, and it also looks so uncomfortable for watching! Too high). Place the TV on the articulating arm just high enough so that viewing is not impeded by the location of the leather chair, so just at the top of the back of the chair;

8) console table for behind at least the sofa facing the glass doors/windows, if not both.

That would be a beautiful AND very functional arrangement.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Agree with Tib and ellen, in terms of no furniture in that space. IMO, tossing a random piece of furniture in that space is going to make it seem more awkward, not less. What I would do is "beef up" the display on that wall of shelves. The scattered photos aren't impactful enough. Add some nice books, some large pieces of pottery, etc.

Then I might place a couple of round lightweight ottomans in front of the shelving area -- the type that can be moved around the room for extra seating or foot rests. Just for some additional dimension and color.

I am also on board with the idea of the sofa backed up to the foyer with a sofa table behind it. And while I am spending your money, I'd be shopping for a bigger, beefier coffee table in wood. I think the smallish glass one is too delicate for your space. Not that you asked but I am feeling bossy. ;)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, sue's idea of ottomans on front of the bookcase is great!

Agree also re: the coffee table. That room needs BIGâ¦furniture, rugsâ¦got to match the scale, if you are able.

Isn't it fun spending other people's money for them?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have to change my mind and agree now that I see the new pics. I thought you had the hardwood going into the foyer and it was one big space. Now that I see it's different, I agree with Tib and ellendi on going bigger with your furniture and rearranging what you have to take up the space. I agree with Sueb too regarding the shelves. A scattering of photos is nice, but a cohesive collection of something like pottery always has a bigger impact. And if you can stack some books on a couple of shelves it will look great.

• sundownr
    9 years ago

If you move the sofa with it's back to the entry you might consider this. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/145904891 . If you click 'previous' in upper right corner you'll see the room is much longer. I stayed at this lodge 7 years ago and still love this room.

Here is a link that might be useful: room with table behind sofa

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"I agree with Tibbrix."

me too. also regarding the furniture and table behind sofa that faces the windows. the furniture does need to be bigger to go with the room.

the ottoman idea is good too - that'll make that area less bare

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I missed that the flooring was different! That does change things a bit.

Confession time: Honestly my thought with the table with the large arrangement in the center was partially driven by wanting the guest to walk in and have something nicer to for their eye to land on than the TV over the fireplace. I don't like to walk in and first thing I see is a room with all the furniture pointed at the television. Not that having a place to watch TV is bad or anything, but when it's the first thing you notice, it just says to me "Come in. Here is where we will all sit and point our eyeballs at a screen and ignore each other." (Ok, it's a personal hangup that I probably need to work on-LOL)

Anyway, I would not have jumped into arranging the other room, but I have to say now that it's out there I agree with Tibbrix and ellendi. Tib's suggestion is one possibility that would be a fare more welcoming and comfortable arrangement, and one that would beckon visitors instead of seeming like it should be seen later after the greeting phase is over. It would also highlight your gorgeous doors. It's a really neat room!

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First of all, thank you so much everyone for taking your time to look at my room and giving me such wonderful ideas. I appreciate all of you. Sundownr, I love that room in the lodge and love the round table and 2 chairs behind the couch as opposed to a console table, definitely food for thought. Now re: the TV placement, I completely understand what y'all are saying, but I have a roommate, actually 3...a husband (the TV placement officer) and 2 teenage girls all of which consider said tv to be very important and worthy of its place of honor. But trust me GW friends, it is not where people's eyes are drawn to upon entering my house, this is what you can't see from my interior pics. All eyes go straight to outside!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

For a trial--switch the chair and love seat. This will give you the back of the love seat to put a table or ottomans against. You'll be able to see if this helps with the balance. Someone suggested stacks of books on the open shelves--try putting the picture frames on the books. This will increase the "weight" of each compartment and make it look more substantial. You could also try putting a large basket with a plant in it between the fireplace and the shelves.

• twochicklets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May I add on another question? I think the rooms all need some lighting. I would like to replace the ceiling fans with either matching lanterns or orbs. I would also like a chandelier for the dining room. Since it is all open, I don't want them to "fight" but I also don't love matchy matchy. I have been on line searching for lighting and I am totally over whelmed I would love some ideas of what people would do. Thanks again in advance!