Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Thoughts on picking lighting fixtures.

zipdee
15 years ago

Here's just a few shades that I have been looking at. What's your favorite, 1-5 ? The actual fixture would look like the one that's on #5, except in better condition and probably not white.

Here's the kitchen ceiling right after it was painted if it will help, the fixture would be in the middle. The other lights are cans. Before anyone says it, I do know the middle fixture is off center. *LOL* I've been assured that would be fixed before this is all over and I will not be able to see the difference. I've heard pigs fly too, but I'll beleive it when I see it. ;)

Comments (15)

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

I think #4 is a winner!

• gardenwebber
    15 years ago

Zipdee - what is that on your ceiling? Is it beadboard, and if so, is it 4X8 sheets, or individuals?

If it is 4X8 sheets, how did you handle the seams every 8' in between the sheets at the "butt" end?

(sorry for the hijack)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'd go with number one of those shades, and I'm going on only one qualification...size. Personally I think they're all a little small for the space. Have you considered going larger? I have a pretty good sized one in my son's bathroom and it suits the space well. I'm afraid one littler one would be a bit too tiny (I do love all of those shade though LOL I have five of that type in my house).

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greenthumbfish, thanks for your vote!

Gardenwebber, our ceiling is beadboard and it's done with long individual boards. I have seen grids done over top of the 4' x 8' beadboard sheets to cover up the seems though. I'll do a little looking around when I get a chance and see if I can find a picture for you of that.

Igloochic, thanks so much for the help! Our kitchen is 15' x 13', what size fixture would you suggest for the middle that would be in scale with the room? Do you have a picture of the fixture in your DS's bathroom to share? I'd love to see it if you do!

• gardenwebber
    15 years ago

Zipdee - I would really appreciate that! The sheets would be much better for our ever-shrinking budget.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I like #4. White with a little extra in the bands.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I like them in the order you posted them. I like #1 the best, #2 second best.........

Are these all vintage? How did you find them?

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Zipdee, I like number four if it's the right size.

Gardenwebber, have you thought about beadboard wallpaper? You won't have to cover up the seams on that for an even larger savings over the paper compared to four by eight sheets.

~Becky

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the help Magothyrivergirl and Justgotabme!

Dilly Dally, yes they are all vintage, I found them all on the internet, including some from e-bay.

Gardenwebber, here's a few picture I found. The first is my favorite, it's almost a coffered ceiling effect, I'm not sure how much the extra lumber would cost though. Hope these help a bit :)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also found this one last night at Rejuvenation Hardware. It's a reproduction :

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also here are sizes if it will help :

H = Height
    D = Diameter

#1 is 10" H and 11" D.

#2 is 7" H x 8" D

We can cross #3 off the list, it's sold now, whoops!

#4 is 10" H X 9" D ( I'm not sure if that height is including the shade and fixture together though .. I think it's just the shade, but I'd have to e-mail to ask )

#5 is 7" H x 7 1/2" D

#6 .. the one I just listed is 8" D X 10 1/2 H.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay .. Rejuvenation hardware also has a larger shade called the Jefferson , which is 12" in diameter and 9" in height, add the fixture to it .. the fixture + shade the overall length would be 14"

Now to get an idea of size and scale .. I grabbed a tape measure and started measuring bowls. The crock for my crockpot is 12" in diameter and 7" in height. I held it up so the bottom was 14" below the ceiling. *LOL* I think it would be plenty big enough. If you want to see this foolish display I'll see later if I can talk my DH into holding it up there for me while I snap a pic. He may do it or he may tell me I need mental help .. I've got about a 50% - 50% shot. ;)

Here's that one made up ..

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Very good idea to use something you have to figure if the scale is right. I do think we need a picture of you doing that if we are to help at all though. LOL ;^)

• greenmtn
    15 years ago

I saw somewhere to blow up a balloon to the size you are considering and hang it from the ceiling to see how the scale works. I love the shades but would check on the scale.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky .. *LOL* My husband already 'lovingly' thinks I'm a nut! ;)

Greenmtn .. neat idea with the balloon, I would have never thought of that. It would be a lot easier than holding a crockpot crock up there too! :D