Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Need feedback on foyer ceiling height

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone!
We need to settle on a ceiling detail and are looking for your valuable input to break a stalemate :-)

Our foyer in our new build is going to be very modest, loosely inspired by the FLW idea of embrace and release.

The plan has been tweaked just a little (the window has been centered on the door, and the wall on the left as you enter will now be the same length as the on on the right- this is where the slate tile will end), but you can get an idea from the sketch attached: One will walk through a simple glass front door into a space 6' (5'4" where the closet bump out is) wide by 18' long. Only the first 10' is actually tiled "foyer." After that, there is about an 8' wide and 8' high pass through on either side; one to the living area and bedrooms (on the right) and one to the kitchen/dining and sunroom (on the left).

Here is where it gets a little goofy. The scissor trusses are steeper near the window than they are near the entry. This means that if we want a simple flat ceiling in the foyer and pass through area it will need to be only 8' high. We could potentially have a flat 9' ceiling beginning over the entry which would then meet the trusses in front of the window and slope down, or we could do as our gc suggested and have a mini vault in the foyer going from about 8' on the ends to 9 or 10' in the middle. I'm worried both those options will yield some unattractive-ceiling-plane-weirdness.

Now, 8' looks pretty low at the construction site where everything is open to the outdoors and the sense of scale is thrown off. Standing here in our rental with 8' ceilings (even on a bench to be the height of our tallest acquaintance), it doesn't seem tight at all, especially for a room we will be in for a total of 30 seconds at a time when answering the door and then walking into either an 8' to 12' vault in the kitchen or a 10' flat ceiling in the living room. DH is inclined to want height at all costs even if it makes for a bunch of weird ceiling planes. I am inclined to go with our architect who wants the foyer ceiling to be as elegant/simple as possible, with the flat 8' ceiling.

Stylistically the foyer will be almost completely unadorned so the focus will be on the lovely materials: black framed glass door, Dove White walls, cedar ceiling, small recessed lights, grey slate floor (in the actual foyer part) leading to wide white oak floors running from kitchen through passthrough into living area.

What do you think? Is 8' too tight? Would the multiple planes needed for a higher ceiling look poorly designed?
I'm counting on you!

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 16:58

Comments (13)

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I would have to go with your DH on this one. The higher the ceiling the better IMO.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I vote for 8'.

The idea behind compression and release is that the smaller entry compels you forward, first toward that centered window and then to the larger living spaces beyond.

My feeling is that the extra height would be abrogated by the complexity

I think ceiling height at all costs has led to some really odd ceilings and awkwardly proportioned spaces.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I also vote for 8'. And I've seen something similar in person. The foyer has a lower height than the rest of the home and it's nice and cozy and inviting. I'd prefer the simplicity of a lower, flat ceiling than the complexity of a multi-planed higher ceiling; too much going on.

• User
    9 years ago

I also vote for 8', for the exact reasons as Pal and ck squared already noted. I love what you are trying to do and I'm afraid you're going to lose something in that trying to get the "height at all costs" approach.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Here's another argument for the 8' ceiling height. After greeting your guests at the door, the lower ceiling will help guide their eyes toward that opposite window which hopefully has a stunning view! With a large, vaulted ceiling, your eyes won't know where to go first and it won't feel as welcoming to your guests.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I vote for 8'. That's the whole point ... the contrast between the foyer and the rest of the space.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input. You are supporting my intuition, and I'll need backup to convince DH!
    One concern our GC expressed is that the cedar on the ceiling would make it feel even lower in there. To me it is just celebrating the coziness of the space and promoting the indoor/outdoor feeling I so want the house to have. What do you think?
    I'd be willing to sacrifice the wood ceiling as a compromise to obtain the simple planes.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Since it is a small room, if you have fire sprinkler requirements and want to do a ceiling lighting fixture, check early to make sure everything will work in your space as you have planned.

I think the cedar ceiling treatment sounds great.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

You have an architect. Why listen to the aesthetic judgment of someone whose primary skill is hiring plumbers and cement trucks?

The primary reason why so many new interiors are ugly is that ceiling height is pursued above all else, never mind if it's disproportionate to the space or if it intersects the walls at random disturbing angles.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

This is the FLW room at the Met in NYC. The entrance to the room is the low opening to the left. The ceiling is low, especially when compared to the rest of the room. That is the point. And having been there, it is extremely effective.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Marcolo?

I vote 8'.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Another 8' vote here. Love the cedar ceilings, no need to sacrifice.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy cow, marcolo the great emerges..and for my foyer! :-)
    Well, our GC has had a few good ideas in his day (every time he does, he asks me to tell his wife, LOL), though I don't agree with him here. Your second point is spot on, but tricky to convey to some. There are folks, my DH is one (recovering), who believe that the frequency with which they have beheld a design element is directly proportional to the design element's merit. Anecdotal evidence suggests that soaring, weird foyers are high on that list.

Thank you for that image, Annie! It brought DH back from the dark side. 8' it is.. phew.
    Thank you all!!!