Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geokid_gw

Decorating Master BR - Does this go together?

geokid
11 years ago

I am trying to decide on how to decorate our Master Bedroom. We have lived in the house for two years and since it's the room that is rarely seen by company, we haven't done anything with it. I recently purchased bedding (Pottery Barn Embroidered Botanical) that DH and I both really like.

The room is huge - 16x16 - and we have all of our dressers in the closet so there is plenty of room for a seating area. Flooring is a tan carpet flecked with chocolate. Not my favorite, but it's new so it's staying.

The only thing in there now is our bed just on a frame with no headboard and two side tables that will be replaced. It's a blank slate. DH really would like a British Colonial feel with dark woods and natural elements. That's fine with me.

Am I going in the right direction? How do the curtains look with the bedding? The dark woods will come in with new nightstands and the bed (yet to be purchased). I've put in an example of a coffee table that we like and it represents the dark wood component.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

The curtains are similar in color, but I think I'd bring in some greens with the browns...and maybe a leaf print. The dark wood sounds wonderful, but I'd also add a little gold. Maybe some antique brass hardware on the furniture and/or drapery rods?

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Do you mean British West Indies style? If so, the style is big on Mahogany furniture mixed with Rattans. For example:

[Traditional Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Tampa Architect Cooper Johnson Smith Architects and Town Planners

[Traditional Bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Los Angeles Interior Designer Zuniga Interiors

I don't think your window treatment works with a British West Indies style, although it goes well with your bedding. I would instead consider a woven wood blind.

Trunks, tropical plants, bamboo, etc. all fit well with this style. IMO, Ethan allen's British Classic furniture collection is gorgeous. They have a very over priced bombe chest that I covet but haven't yet taken the plunge to make it mine.

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dilly, yes, that is what I mean. But a modern version. Think Crate and Barrel goes British West Indies, not Ethan Allen. We will have bamboo blinds as well but I'd like a curtain for softness.

DH would love to have a 6' tall potted plant. So far I've ix-nayed that because I know I would have to take care of it and I'm not what you call a plant person.

We have a short, wide window above our bed up near the ceiling. I'm toying with the idea of hanging a couple old wooden doors on tracks and using them as a window treatment. When they're open, they would be behind the bedside tables and when they're closed they would be a pseudo headboard. I'd get a bed with a fabric headboard (linen with brass nailheads?).

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I like all your choices so far and I agree about the bamboo blinds but I think the curtains are spot on as sometimes going to far can make the room too masculine. Below is a site that shows items that can make a room look like the style you want. I think I'd start with a dark headboard similar to the one in the link below and then, the rest of the furniture pieces you'd like to have, perhaps a bamboo type side tables etc, I'd love to see a West Indies style ceiling fan like the one in the link. I'd add dark aqua and coral for accents, not too much of it though. Find a textured throw for the couch along with appropriate wall items. You're sooo lucky to be starting out with such a big room. It's going to be lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: bedroom pieces

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dilly, I looked at EA's British collection, and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't as frou-frou as I thought it would be. :*) That bombe chest IS gorgeous! It would make a great bedside table. I've had my eye on this chest from World Market but haven't been able to see it in person yet.

yayagal, thanks for the link! I like the overall feel of it. Love those blue chairs. Blue chairs are already on my must have list for somewhere in the house. :-) We already have a ceiling fan. I forgot to add that! It's new and it was one we finally agreed upon. It's hard to see in the picture but it has seashell glass.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

While I like the curtains I am not wild about them w/ the bedding

If you're thinking more modernish British West Indies style I like th eaddition of color to the walls and think that it's good choice of color. I would maybe consider linen like or another raw like material for the curtains in a cream or other light natural color.

I had some other thoughts but my computer is acting up and I need to shut down and reboot.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Wait a sec - I realized that I misread your colors - I was thinking that your walls would be the blue color. I would go w/ a curtain treatment in the range of the blue color.

• User
    11 years ago

Bamboo blinds and white curtains would give a more British Colonial look. And yes, I think the right white curtains would look great with the off white bedding.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

We recently got two bedside stands at Pier One in that style...some rattan with wood. It's called Senopati nightstand. We chose the wood tone, but it also comes in off white and black. I have seen that bombe chest at World Mkt. and loved it....just didn't work in our room. I love the coffee table you have pictured, and have seen it in person! We are drawn to that style, too. I like your color choices.

We have a fairly simple black/bronzed metal headboard from Crate & Barrel, which I do like, but we do have to prop pillows up in bed to read. Our DS his wife recently got a beautiful upholstered bed from West Elm in a taupe oatmeal color fabric headboard and dark wood bed frame. It is beautiful & I could see it with your desired look.

I like the drapes ok, but maybe a softer white/off white flowy fabric. Have you seen the ones at Pottery Barn with the smocking at the top? We had those in our previous MB, and I loved them. They get a little $$, because they're not very wide, and I wanted them full. They also do not keep light out, if that is a concern for you.

Keep us posted!

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your input! We've started from scratch essentially in this home because it's much larger than our first home and we no longer want our college furniture. :) I've been on here a lot asking about various rooms. I have so many unfinished projects...I don't know when I'll ever finish a room!

Lizzie, what bed does your DS have? I've seen a lot at West Elm that I like. And I'm very excited they've reopened a few World Markets in my state after they closed them all a few years ago. Too bad the closest one is two hours away. Our old headboard was from there and it's in the guest room now since we updated to a king bed.

Foxespad, you nailed it: I like the curtains but I'm not wild about them with the bedding. I also like that blue/grey color. I picked a similar color for the main part of our house. It looks great with dark wood tones and I change it up with different accent colors. But, for our bedroom, DH and I like the idea of a bright, airy kind of space grounded with wood pieces.

Kswl, you know, honestly, I didn't even consider something as simple as white curtains. I just assumed they should be a pattern. That would definitely make it a lot easier.

Privacy is not an issue, but light control is. On the other side of the field a couple miles away is a small airport. Just single engine planes. But the airport runway lights sweep through our room some nights.

What do you think of my idea as using doors as window treatments? For the wide, short window that's above our bed. I'm thinking something like this, but not painted. A distressed barn door look, or if I could find some old carved doors, that would be better.

• loves2read
    11 years ago

The blue/grey color pallete is very popular currently but it doesn't really fit with the British Colonia/plantation type of look you want to create in your bedroom
    Because that style of furniture came from India and the Carribean during British Colonia times it is associated more with tropical colors and lush vegetation...
    I love that round carved coffee table but the sofa is a very contrasting look--cool, polished, sophisticated, tight and precise--definitely the opposite of the Plantation look...
    And do you really want that type of mulit person seating arrangement even if the bedroom is large enough?
    Are you inviting numerous people into your bedroom at any one time?
    Maybe a more judicious use of the space would include something to be used as desk area for using a laptop or seating area with flatscreen
    Your room might be too large to take advantage of tv/flatscreen opposite your bed...
    but if you do watch tv in bed, you might consider having a console that lifts the flatscreen out when you are watching and stores it when you aren't...
    they are more common now but can be more expensive than most media arrangements because of the arm arrangement...and they can be made to swivel--so that the flatscreen can face the bed or into the seating arrangment...
    That way all you would need is bed frame with headboard (maybe your door idea) with the cabinetry at the foot...
    None of those styles list as British Colonial but some would work with dark finish, depending on other wood pieces

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatscreen lift cabinet options

• geokid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loves2read, DH and I are trying to marry his want of a British colonial type style with my style which is exactly opposite of that. We chose BM Jicama for our wall color and BM suggested the above color combination. DH and I like it. And our master bath is grey so it goes well.

The sectional is currently in our family room, but it's too small for the space and our needs. It's from our old house. Rather than get rid of it, because I like it and it's in good shape, I thought of repurposing it in my bedroom.

We have our large tv in the basement family room and a small tv in the kitchen. No TV in the bedroom and we don't want one. We'd like a space that we can escape to curl up with a book that's away from the TV in the family room or the sofa in the main open floor plan room. Plus, our kids are young and it would be a great place for them to sleep on nights when they want to be in our room.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I think our son's bed is the panel tufted one & then the wood part is dark...really beautiful.

I got some room darkening white drapes for our MB at Overstock a year ago. They are pretty good...sort of linen with lining...my only complaint is they tend to get wrinkly and need dry cleaning. The price was good & I open them during the day. We ALSO have room darkening duette blinds...can you tell DH likes NO light coming into the room???

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022