Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

What do you think about these sconces?

Christy Bell
9 years ago

Or, what's wrong with this picture? I know the lights are spaced far apart, but that's due to duct work in the wall. Is the sconce on the left too big or is the picture wrong? Thinking I may need to fill up this wall more to manage the distance between sconces.

This post was edited by christyinco on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 12:34

Comments (11)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another angle

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the room for reference. I've changed what's above the piano and some arrangements since this picture was taken.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

What is the purpose of the scones? Illuminate the sheet music? Then the light source should be closer.

I might consider a decorative sconce that fits with the architecture of this room, and install a light directly over the piano or painting.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I guess that's my question - does the sconce on the left fit the architecture of the room? We need the light in that area. There are no overheads and we get little natural light - so they are necessary.

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would this type of arrangement over the piano work better? OR, is the piano all wrong in that area? It's not played much and could be moved downstairs. Problem is, I didn't NOT like it before I just didn't like the old sconces. Now, I can't get it right.

This post was edited by christyinco on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 13:28

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

That is a very nice room! Love the beams. I think that I would use a lamp on the piano rather than the sconces. I would also choose art work that is less tall. I think your current choices draw the eye up to the duct work. You do not have to fill the wall to make it look good. Simple is better in this case, at least that is my opinion!
    Diane

• Gracie
    9 years ago

A swing arm lamp with the shade turned toward the piano might help balance it out. I'd also move the art work to the small wall near the stairs. It needs something bigger and more graphic.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe a quarter sphere sconce so that the light is directed up instead of out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think the sconces look too far away, and the hvac detracts from their nice symmetry. Id either use a piano lamp or even a floor lamp, if you want to keep the piano there.

The beams are lovely.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Could you do some sort of box shelf with recessed lighting underneath? You could paint it the wall color, put decorative items on it and place on wall above piano.

• Sujafr
    9 years ago

I think part of what's throwing us off is that your closeup of the piano wall is made from the stairway so you're looking down on the piano, and it makes the piano look super short to us, and the wall hanging takes all our focus. Try making a picture from the main level just behind the piano bench or slightly to the left side if necessary to get it in.

Plus I think if you use sconces, they should be closer to the wall hanging and lower (maybe halfway down the side of the painting), so they and the painting are viewed as a unit rather than having them so far out from the piano and painting. If you already have the wiring in place where you showed them, then I realize that's not what you want to hear.

Personally neither sconce style excites me with the rest of your things, but I think the one on the right is the better of those two. But if you like them, that's what matters.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio