Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Update to "sticking stuff on the wall"

Sueb20
9 years ago

Now that I have my postcards laid out and have measured the wall they're going on, I do think I want to frame them. No mat, just frame, and as simple and lightweight a frame as possible. I'm envisioning a very thin black frame, or dark wood tone. If they're light enough I can hang them with command hooks, which makes it easier to hang them in a grid format that doesn't shift.

Any frame suggestions? I want wall frames, not the type with an easel on the back. Size is 4x6.

Or maybe there's a suitable collage frame somewhere? The whole thing can't be more than 22" wide.

Thanks! I am sick with some kind of virus so this is the sort of thing that's keeping me entertained...

Comments (21)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Love the postcards. Too bad your wall isn't made of wood, because the postcards look pretty good with the color of your wood table!!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This would work well -- I'd get 3 of them so I can add more cards as we visit more parks -- but I don't like the white. I guess I could try spray painting it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Target collage frame

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I've always loved those vintage park/travel posters. Nice collection!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, wrong link. Meant to link to this Target frame which DOES come in black after all! Not great reviews, though. (I would hang it the other way, obviously.)

Here is a link that might be useful: TARGET frame

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, found this, too. Never heard of this shop -- anyone else?

Here is a link that might be useful: nicer frame

• amykath
    9 years ago

This would be perfect!

Here is a link that might be useful: ultra thin frame

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm for finding a frame you like first. You originally said you don't want mats. Since the postcards all have the same light (white?) border, that kind of functions as a mat anyway. Could you fill the frame with dark mat board (whatever color you like) and then affix the postcards to that? You'd have to make sure they lie flat, but you can probably do that and still keep them removable without damage should you want to rearrange them.

When I realized how limited pre-cut mats are and how expensive it is to have one custom cut, I bought a nice mat cutter. It was a bit of an investment ($130 or so), but it's paid for itself in money I've saved, plus I get just the mat I need.

• lucybcstx
    9 years ago

There are 12X12 slender black frames available. Intended to be used to display record albums. You would have two rows of three cards each.

No mats but the light border around your cards might be enough.

I've used these to frame calendar pictures. Very lightweight and inexpensive. From Michael's and JoAnn's.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Obviously I need a field trip to Michael's!

That frame does look great, atk. I found almost the same one at Frames By Mail for only $6 each. I do think I'll check Michael's first.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Like the collage frames as opposed to individual 4x6 frames for each.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Another option is having one large frame containing a matte that has 12 holes in it. Nifty post cards!

• jab65
    9 years ago

Love the idea and the postcards. If I hung 12 frames in close proximity on the wall, it would bother me every time I walked by & they weren't lined up perfectly. Collage frames will take care of that.

• jab65
    9 years ago

Love the idea and the postcards. If I hung 12 frames in close proximity on the wall, it would bother me every time I walked by & they weren't lined up perfectly. Collage frames will take care of that.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I use a black, thin-frame, front loading frame from MCS Industries for simply photos, cards, etc. At one time the 5x7 size was $1.99 at Michaels. I bought 24 with a half-off coupon for the ever-changing wall of nieces, nephews, and the greats.

I looked on the Michael's site and didn't find any; but I know they are still sold in our store.

They come in several sizes and include a very thin glare-resistant glass. They hang or stand either vertically or horizontally, and can be hung on a tiny, thin, finishing tack or nail.

This first picture shows a row of the 5x7 thin frames hung on the side of a sewing supplies cabinet. Those smiling faces are various nieces and nephews. As you can tell, I used scrapbooking papers and card stocks to "display" the smaller wallet size photos. Some of the frames also hold full-size 5x7 photos.

I think they would be a wonderful, and inexpensive way to showcase your lovely postcards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon's 'Format' frames.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I searched Michaels site and found a frame just like the ones I use, but man-oh-man has the price gone up! I'm glad I bought two dozen 8-10 years ago.

Amazon will have the best price.

When I get new photos of the kids I pop out the 5x7 background paper, with the photos attached, and put them in the scrapbook as is. If needed I cut new paper to make a nice background for the current photo and hang the frame back in its spot.

I do hear you on the "straightness." I used a level and T-Square and marked off the spots to put the brads in the side of this cabinet. Since it's in my sewing room it doesn't get bumped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael's - new name, same frame

This post was edited by caroline on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 19:05

• voila
    9 years ago

I think the original purpose for a mat was to keep the art off the glass. Has anyone had a photo in a frame stick to the glass? I don't know if the postcards would be damaged, but I would ask at Michael's framing area. I really like your collection and would hate to see it damaged.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caroline, I recognize those frames by the photo on Amazon! I know I've seen them somewhere, probably at Michaels. Thanks.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

what about framing them all in one frame like this

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the postcards, and ould definitely hang them in separate frames rather than a collage, which IMO doesn't do anything for photos, postcards or anything else. Sorry you're down with a virus!

• vpierce
    9 years ago

How about these frameless frames? And the price is right....

Here is a link that might be useful: Frameless Frames

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think the postcards in these floating frames might be a good way to display them on the wall.