Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Carpet runner width and finishing

kellienoelle
10 years ago

Back again with my FINAL carpet runner question. We've selected and ordered but can still make decisions on the width and finishing as it will be cut from broadloom. So I have a couple questions.

The stairs are open on one side with spindles for half, then enclosed by walls on both sides for the other half. The enclosed part is 45" wide.
{{!gwi}}

In working with the installer, we decided on 37" width for the runner. I fashioned a blanket and laid on the stairs in both places for a general idea of how it will look.

At the bottom of the stairs:
{{!gwi}}

And the top:
{{!gwi}}

Look OK?

Another question is reqarding the finishing. I have selected this carpet which will be finished with black edging:
{{!gwi}}

I originally thought that i wanted it serged with thread, but the installer said that this would be more delicate, particularly with the dogs and their claws (realistically I know that the dogs are going to initially try to walk down the sides to avoid the "new" runner) and he recommended using a fabric. Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Hi Kellienoelle,

How exciting that you are moving forward with your runner project.

My first thought on seeing your design dilemma (steps are wider on the bottom than on the top of the staircase) is to recommend that you keep the margin of exposed stairs identical on both the upper and lower portion of the stairs. This would mean making a transition to a wider runner at the point where the stairs get wider. Would this be an option?

I think that a black/dark fabric edge binding would look nice.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi francoise! I think you were the one who had been pushing for the black diamonds all along! I am excited to get this finished, and think that after so much indecision it is the right choice!

I can't see a way to widen it that wont' look awkward since it really is only an inch or so difference. I have looked at examples online and it doesn't seem that uncommon to keep the width uniform even if it shows a little more wood under the spindles. I'll link to a houzz example that is remarkably like our set up and see if I can find one with the alternative. How do you think this looks?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Carpet runner example[(https://www.houzz.com/products/straight-staircase-stair-runner-installations-prvw-vr~1953736)

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Hi Kellienoelle,

Yes, I always did like the black diamond pattern and may copy it, if you don't mind, in my own home.

I think the picture you posted from Houzz looks fine and makes a good case for your plan.

On the other hand, have you experimented with making the runner an inch or two wider? That would show less exposed wood in the bottom, wider part of the staircase.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think it would be best to read it as a continual stripe of one width all the way up. You won't read the periphery, you will read the central portion. If the stairs were curved or flared at the bottom, it would be a different story, perhaps.

I prefer thread serging over the narrow turned under fabric, personally, but couldn't really say if it's more fragile or not. But its the same fiber as the pile, usually, isn't it?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried making the runner wider, with a 3 inch reveal on either side, but to my eye it seemed not quite enough on the right side. It's just hard without seeing it as a whole to know which will look best!

I can see how a serged edge could be more fragile if you think about what will happen if the dogs claws pull on a strand.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Love it! So glad you decided on black.

As for the serging vs tape, hmmm...I think both will achieve the look you want. I really like the serging, but I do have fabric around my sisal and love that too. Not sure how much the dogs claws are going to affect the serging but if you don't want to chance it, go with fabric. Me, I would probably chance it.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think carpeted steps tend to be easier for dogs since they're alot less slippery- especially if your dogs are used to running up and down the stairs, so i bet your dogs adjust to them pretty quickly!!... i would go with serged edges- i think that would look best.

we have another house now that doesn't currently have runners and when our dog visits it she is really tentative going down them- getting a runner for those stairs will be on my to do list!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think the way you have it is best --- the eye will follow the length of the runner and expect it to be unifrom.

I agree with others, your dogs will thank you for this. : )

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

I have a carpet on my stairs finished with a border, almost like bias tape, and it is sewn with a zig zag stitch with some kind of clear thread. The border is only about 1/2" wide. The dogs would most likely use the middle of the carpet, I would think, and not damage the edge, but I never had dogs, so I wouldn't know.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I like your final choice a lot.
    And I agree that you should be consistent with the width of the runner, and not worry about the margins.
    Find out how wide the binding is to be. If it's 1/2" it'll likely read as if it's another black line in the design and be great. If it's an inch or two like what they're binding the sisal rugs with I'd chance the serged edge.

• graciepunkin
    10 years ago

We recently had a runner installed when we were expecting our now 5 month old baby. Our 10 year old dog (Lab/Border Collie mix) had been having a really hard time with the stairs and with a new baby on the way it made sense. The dog did exactly what your installer said-he tried walking on the edge of the stair treads to avoid the carpet but he caught on quickly with a little coaching and encouragement from us. Before the runner was installed we had to hold his collar and walk slowly down with him but now he runs up and down the stairs like a pup again. I wish we had done it sooner and I love the look.

Ours is a grayish/beige sculpted carpet and they matched the serging to the carpet. So far no issues with the edging holding up to two cats and the dog. We did buy enough extra raw carpet (not serged) to replace any damaged areas in case it is ever discontinued or unavailable.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this runner is long over due for our pooches. We moved into this house in April and have had a couple of slips and slides since. Of course my indecision has probably added a good 6 weeks to the project. I'll have to ask about the width of the tape vs. the width of the serging. I know that I saw a sample binding at the store and liked it well enough, think it was tape about 3/4 inch wide (if I recall, its been awhile). I also know that the serging will be more expensive, but not sure how much.

Graciemay - great idea about buying extra carpet!

• theclose
    10 years ago

When I was buying my runner and looked into the binding option, I could make it any width I wanted (of course, with varying pricing). Good luck!! Can't wait to see a pic when done.