Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlfrun66

Kitchen backsplash regret

dlfrun66
16 years ago

I waited 2 years to finish our kitchen by adding the backsplash. I'm not loving it like I thought I would. I'm not sure if I'd like it better if the grout was different or not. Very confused and not happy like I'd hoped to be.

Opinoins, please??

{{!gwi}}

Comments (105)

• pat_tea
    16 years ago

I would like to see a mock up of this kitchen with the change in paint color as suggested AND change the granit portion of the backsplash to black to tie the black granit on the island back to the counter. But then I'm a gardener not a decorator so what do I know?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Excellent suggestions above:

1) Yes -- switch out the switchplates for the lights to a more blended tone.

2) Les' suggestion to consider black hardware is brillant -- black hardware will literally "move" the black (or darker) quality from the granite countertops UP to the walls.

3) Accessories -- remove the ones (although pretty!) that you now have on the counters -- and add some simple colored accessories -- in black to the counters. Maybe canisters?

4) Consider re-painting the walls to a slightly deeper tone -- very similar to the color you do have now -- just deeper in tone and perhaps a bit more grayed?

• amykath
    16 years ago

Here are my thoughts... you are not used to it. After two years of living with something it is a shock to see it changed. Definitely live with it and you might just grown to love it.

I love Squirrel's idea! Also for fun you could always consider something like this... I saw this in Allison's kitchen.... maybe a bit larger if need be. Hope she does mind my sharing. Just a thought.
    {{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Well, my backsplash looks a lot like Dino's and my countertops are granite but closer to the beige undertones than gold but if I look very closely, I hate the two together so I just blame it on my husband for wanting granite in the first place when I wanted soapstone or stainless steel. That makes me feel much better. After all, I think he paid for it, so I just get to the put the blame where it is but truth is, it is quite pretty and if I blur my eyes, the colors look great. If not, I can see where the granite has a little too much yellow undertone for the beige tiles. I do have a lot of black. In fact, I have a teacup holder that I spray-painted black, a plate holder that I spray-painted black, a vase that I use that is black with white paperwhites in it. Black can heal lots of wounds.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

First off, I agree with several of the posters that your kitchen overall is very lovely. I do not think you should be even considering ripping out granite or backsplash tile at this point - unless $$ are no option, and if that were the case, I doubt that you would be asking advice on this forum.

I can see where the tones of the tile and granite are a bit off, but I think the way to correct this is in your accessories.

You have lovely things above your cabinets. You need some additional items under the cabinets and on either side of the stove that will fill up some of that bare wallspace. I'm thinking a tall rosemary topiary in a pretty pot, to the left as you face the stove and a very tall wrought iron, multi tiered basket filled with garlic/onions/peppers to the right. I'd find some tuscany/french country looking plates and hang them in an arrangement on the backsplash under the cabinets. I'd also bring in an accent color - ie a paprika red and use that to show some contrast so the fact that your taupes/golds aren't exactly matchy matchy is a non issue.

Here's a topiary and wrought iron basket that I love from Ballards Catalog

I like these plates from Toscana nel Mondo http://www1.freewebs.com/toscanaimports/onthewall.htm
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    16 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen and it looks like a great place to cook and hang out. I know if it were me, ripping out a whole brand-new granite countertop would not be an option. (However, I don't bear any ill-will against those for whom that is an option :-) I think the suggestions already given above - particularly putting something darker / black in that tile frame above your stove, getting darker accessories, and also a different wall color (gray maybe?) would go a long way in harmonizing what you have already.

• estreya
    16 years ago

I love this kitchen. I just love it! The only change i would make is the addition of a rosemary topiary to the right of the teapot.

• harriethomeowner
    16 years ago

Just a thought -- could you add a transition piece like squirrelheaven suggested but make it black? That might give some definition to the division between the two surfaces. And then some black knobs and handles, as suggested, and perhaps black switchplates?

But really, it looks nice as is.

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I guess I can't go for days without checking the board.(sorry been very busy). First of all, I want to thank every single person for their advice and opinions. I can respect each person's ideas and that's what I wanted to hear. To make sure that I've thought of everything before I do ANYTHING. I think I have thought of most everything mentioned except for changing the granites or the tiles. I love them both that's why I chose them. I know it's hard to tell from the monitor but the granite and the tile do come from the same color families. The granite does not have any gray undertones at all. My problem with it is where the granite backsplash and the tile meet. It seems too busy. (as many others have mentioned). I wish they would not have put the tile backsplash in to begin with. I didn't have the forsight to see a problem later. Anyway now that it's there. There is the option to remove it, but I think that would open up another whole can of worms(messing up the tile job and also possibly destroying the cabinets that it's attached to on the corner, etc. I also would not be happy with all black granite in my kitchen. It would be nice,(i've seen many kitchen done like that) but it would not achieve what I have in mind. I love the feeland motion of the St. Ceceila granite. I only used the black countertop as an accessorie. I agree I definitely need more black accessories.

Thanks to squirrel heaven for posting the photo of the half round liner. I was thinking of that and your photo inspired me to go out and get pieces to test in varying colors. That's what I'm working on now. Also agree that I need to change the outlet covers.(already bought the supplies). I also like the idea of black accessories and the green topiaries. The gold stripped vase is gone! As soon as I get time, I'll post photos of the half round trim in different colors. I feel like the trim helps to break the business of the two patterns so close together. I'm having a hard time deciding to go with the color trim of the cabinets or the darker color of the tiles?????

mimi and lauraa..Thanks for the photos of your kitchens. I see alot of similarities to mine.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's input, opinions and advice. Red Bazel advice is sticking with me and I quote:

I think everything about it is wonderful, and if you can get busy and make some good lasagne, and invite over a dozen friends, they will all tell you how great it looks too. That is, if YOU don't screw it up by fussing about the grout lines!!!

Go point, the most important part of the kitchen is too enjoy it and not stress over it as much as I have since the tiles was completed on Tues. Needs to be taken care of but not stressed over.

Thanks again

Diana

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Doh! :)

I didn't even pick up on that...maybe because I'm so partial to a 4" backsplash AND tile! :) If thats what you're worried about I would definitely let yourself acclimate for a bit, or the little transition strip you're working on will most likely be perfect.

Just having gone through the yellower/warmer (are those words?! lol) thing recently it was what I was most sensitive to.

Looking forward to pics. Your kitchen really is gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

acore..your granite backsplash looks great with your tile. I wouldn't mind mine either except my granite has so much more movement which seems to clash without something solid to soften it.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Maybe the sealer they used wasn't one that doesn't change the color or enhance the stone colors when it goes on. That may be why you're seeing more movement than expected. Don't know if that's reversible.

Will post these that I did earlier. I blew out some light onto the splash, which might be lighter as you'd get with some under cab lighting, as Les mentioned. The trim pieces around the stove accent panel is highlighted also, to give it just a littlemore presence, as is the trim pieces over the granite splash portion.

In the second pic, the paint in the kitchen corner nook there, has been painted more a taupe to blend along with the tiles and simplify that section a bit.

I think I'd try the same stone trim from your splash to transition the two areas -- but in even tones (little mottling). Otherwise, if you use white or black or something, it will be adding another element to your elegant and simple backsplash. Are the dot accents metal? Maybe give that a try too? But I do think it would stand out a bit much.

It's really is beautiful, and I wouldn't think of it as 'busy' just because there are two patterns there. It's visually textured -- and quite nice that way!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the half-round again, unlit splash, slightly enhanced trim around decorative panel, and a few accessories. Just beautiful!!

I've also included the trim in white and dark, which you mentioned you're considering.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    16 years ago

Squirrel, could you change out the hardware to black? I don't know if that is too much fussy detail to do easily, so if it is, I understand that it might not be worth tackling. If you do that, could you also change the trim to black above the granite backsplash?

Thanks!

• fromflorida
    16 years ago

Dinobambino --Your kitchen is just lovely, and I completely agree with Redbazel's sentiments earlier -- it would be possible to critique any kitchen, if that was the challenge given, and find things that might have been done differently because everyone has different taste. But on first impression -- and second and third -- your kitchen looks pretty and inviting and warm and friendly. You did a great job. I just want to echo who say just enjoy it for awhile and then see if you still feel you need to make changes.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

(System troubles.) I do prefer the trim in stone (cohesive with the splash), but the black hardware really seems to tie things together. I'd probably try something in a soft black. There's one finish that's a black, rubbed steel or something, with a touch of silver/gray specks coming through in places.

Here ya go!

• les917
    16 years ago

Thanks Squirrel. I really do like the black hardware.

I agree the black trim on the backsplash doesn't work - too defined a dark line.

Now I am wondering if it would work to use something the color of the cabinets - almost like a piece of moulding that matches. What it seems to call for is something that creates a defined break between the granite and the tile, a visual stop if you will. Looking at the one that is almost the same color as the tile, I don't think that gives enough of a break - it doesn't feel a whole lot different to me than just having the tile there.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

There are some shots above with a wider piece, which creates more of a break, like that around the panel and at the top. There's also a shot of one that's white.

I do prefer the same material, just more uniform in color than the 4" tiles. Slightly enhanced like around the panel is how I've shown it (on the darker side rather than light).

• les917
    16 years ago

Thanks, Squirrel. I did go back before my last post and see if you had already done a white one. I must have missed it, because I did find it just now.

I do like a wider piece, whatever the color. It needs to look intentional, rather than like a caulking line.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the wider trim again, with the black hardware. (The wall area over the splash is still painted a taupe.)

This looks perfect, and perfectly beautiful to me.

{{!gwi}}

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I like the last picture. The trim gives a break and echoes the trim above the range. The black hardware looks great too. All nice inexpensive fixes.

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I agree the trim makes a huge difference and I like it on the darker beige side too but not black. The trim and accessories are the final touches it seems to need to make it all come together. It looked great before but just polishes it off. Great virtuals squirrel!

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

I am going to be the odd-one-out here but......I think you need to be very, very careful in your selection of that trim if you choose this route. It is going to add one more color and texture and what you are not thrilled with is the "busy" look, if I understand your concern correctly. You have alot of visuals going on in there. I am afraid the trim is going to look like a cover-up of poor workmanship between the backsplash and tile - which is not the case. Your tile job looks perfect. On the visuals Squirrel did - the trim looks good as it softens those hard edges on our computer screens. But standing there 2ft away in your kitchen, I think the trim will look like an odd element that makes no sense. I think your kitchen is lovely, tile work beautiful and skillfully laid, and you can tie it altogether with different accessories. Just my 2 cents -
    After reading these posts, I too, am surprised at the drastic ,in my view, suggestions to rip out the granite or redo the tile.
    Most of us who have rennovated has made decisions we wish we would change after the fact, but realistically cannot jusitfy the expense to redo it again! Same advice - live with it for a while, before you make any major changes
    I do agree you should change the knobs.

• shibababy
    16 years ago

I love the last pic with the thicker trim.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are some closeups. I wouldn't add another color either but, to me, using a trim piece in the stone looks more finished. Like when you bullnose or trim off the top of a wall of tile. There is already a trim piece at the top of the splash, also. This piece has a little protrusion that makes it kind of a little shallow ledge, if you've seen that style. It looks a bit like a piece of crown moulding over a window or something.

I'd definitely play with it first, velcro or sticky tape it across the whole area before doing anything permanent. Select your pieces carefully and seal/enhance them first.

A quick check with a tile shop may put an end to the idea. It may be that the dimensions of the trim itself may not even be able to be fitted properly over the granite splash. Maybe an option would be to remove the 4" splash and put in a baseboard style moulding in the stone.

Gonna have to keep my eye open in the mags for something similar :)

{{!gwi}}

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Perhaps there is a matching "border" tile that is very thin that can be used. I know I've seen examples of it and it looks very nice, a finished effect. I would stick with the same tile and put it where SH has done the mock-up of the trim between the 4" backsplash and tile. This way you're not bringing something else into the mix.

• deltabreeze
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. Give yourself some time to adjust to the change. It is always difficult to live without a pattern on a backsplash and then suddently see pattern.

From my perspective, I see no big advantage to adding the trim, and some potential downside as explained by magothyrivergirel. I also see no need for major demolition work.

Here is what see and suggest. You have two medium size patterns going on -- the backsplash with golden brown undertones and the countertops with (at least on my monitor) peachy/greyish/green undertones. The wall color, lovely wood floors, and countertop accessories work very well with the backsplash, but are less kind to the countertops. I think repainting the walls and changing the countertop accessories to colors that are more flattering to both the splash and granite would integrate the room more. I like the taupe walls that squirrell added. Perhaps a sage green also would work. I think some black accessories would work. In terms of the knobs, to my mind changing the stainless to black doesn't add enough to justify the expense. If you are planning to have a rug in front of your cooktop, I would be careful to use a color that worked with the backsplash and granite.

Mostly, however, stop staring at the kitchen so hard. It really is lovely!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are some general examples. In my mind is something like the chair or crown moulding pics towards the end.

Here's the baseboard type, but with a coved moulding detail at the bottom where it meets the counter (ignore the painted design):

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I would not change anything. The expense and risk are not worth it and the kitchen is a beautiful kitchen. If after a year you still feel bothered by it, reevaluate it at that time. The molding is not really necessary; the craftsmanship appears to be excellent, and the backsplash and granite really do work together.

On a personal note, I found that after working on our house project for two years, I couldn't turn off the choosing/redoing/tinkering/recreating gene. It took a conscious effort to leave well enough alone, live with the results of all that time and effort, and then see what, if anything, was needed.

• nsb123
    16 years ago

I think your kitchen is beautiful. Just add a few accessories like plates, cookbooks, canisters,or a plant, etc. to hide the line where the granite meets the tile. Solid colors may look better.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I think a half-round above the granite backspash 'may' make for a better transition but to be installed correctly, and if you don't want it to jutt out past the granite piece, you'd have to remove the bottom portion of tile.

I have to agree with the others who said simple changes would make a huge difference, along with accessories. You could try a grout enhancer but from my experience, it doesn't make much of a change from the original color. Plus, if the grout is already sealed it won't work.

Live with it for awhile............I think you'll find you won't notice whatever you think is bothering you. IMO.........it looks great!

If you're interested in seeing what a darker grout would look like, check out the finished kitchens in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wanted to update everyone on my back splash. After I had the tile sealed, lived with it a week or so, had the half round trim added and changed a few accessories, I'm much happier with the look. I'm still looking for an accessory or two, but will happen upon them eventually(no hurry).

Thanks to everyone for your advice, opinions, photos and photoshopping. It really was a huge help.

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Did you add the 1/2 round trim around the backsplash "medallion" as well? I can't tell bnecause the first few pics are from farther away. It looks much better, and now the 1/2 round trim echoes trim around the medallion over the cooktop. What a difference sealing the tile made! Much, much nicer ;o) I'm sure you're very pleased with the results.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Perfection!

• chris61
    16 years ago

Glad you are feeling happier with it...it is really a beautiful high-quality kitchen no matter how you look at it.

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

Wow, how nice that looks! It was a lovely kitchen already, but just the small changes DID pull it all together better!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Dinobambino, I didn't post anything before because I thought your kitchen was lovely, and even though something just was a tad "off", I didn't know what might solve it and didn't want to make you feel worse.

I just had to chime in now, though, to tell you that it looks FABULOUS!!! The sealant made all the difference in bringing the two tones together, and the trim really finishes it off and makes it more "polished." And I LOVE the topiary! Fantastic job!!! Enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

Squirrelheaven, you do FANTASTIC work! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

It DOES look fabulous, although, I thought it was fabulous when I saw the first pictures. But I know what you mean. My backsplash grout did look nicer after using an enhancing sealer, although it was hard to decide whether to do so or not.

I love your choices in your kitchen and hope we will see more of your home photos soon, it's so pretty!!

Red

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That looks totally rich and gorgeous!! Not too busy at all! Just totally mesmerizing :) And perfect. I think the trim looks like it was always there and really transitions and finishes that edge. Glad you braved it! That's amazing how much the sealer changed the tile color. Love the topiary and black kettle with it all!

Curious, was enhancing the color not in the original plan, or was it just not quite finished?

You're welcome :)

(and thanks HoosierGirl! :)

• les917
    16 years ago

Looks lovely, and I am so happy that you are pleased. So, cook us up something good now, won't you? LOL

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les.. and all...

With as helpful as you are anytime I need answers, I feel like I definitely owe you all dinner.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I missed the update , it looks great!

• jessie21
    16 years ago

beautiful!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Dinobambino - Can you tell me what granite that is?

Laurie

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I think your kitchen is scrumptious! You've done a fabulous job!

Your toning down the outlet covers made a huge positive difference, too.

I'm not sure I love the gold plates up top. I might play with trying something a little greyer in tones up there and see if I liked that. But it's so darned close to perfection now, who knows?

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks alot, I appreciate everyone's kind comments.

Mrs. Marv.. No we didn't add the same round tile to the medallion, it's a different type of trim piece. It's the same as it was.

squirrel...Yes, adding the sealant was part of the plan, but I didn't realize that it would make such a difference. I was very happy that it did. I didn't like the look much at all before the sealant was applied. I had to wait a few days to add the sealant so during that time is when I was really worried about what I had done.

Ms. rose.. The granite on the counter top is st. cecelia and on the island is brazillian black. I'm not really sure of the official name.

Oceann..The gold accents ae to coordinate with the rest of the room. Attached is a picture of our MULTI-PURPOSE Room

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Additional note. I do plan to add some sort of black tassel or accent to each square in the middle of the squares on the window valences to help finish off the look of the window treatments. As discussed in another post sometime ago. I just haven't found anything that I like yet.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oh! Then the gold plates make perfect sense. I love this room! You've done a really wonderful job. It's warm, pretty and homey. I love your pendant lights, your valances, your wall color, and your layout. I just have to ask -- is that the TV way up high on the left and do you get a stiff neck watching it?

Wow on all those windows and the gorgeous view you enjoy. I have a nice view out the back of my house and I love to drink it in. It looks like it must rain a lot where you live, too. I'm in the Seattle area so it sure rains a lot here, but the benefit is all that luscious green.

• dlfrun66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oceann..We put the tv in the position so that you could see it from everywhere in the room. We tested it before we did and found that your head and neck are in the same position when sitting in the sitting area. The only thing that is different is the position of your eyes and where your looking. It's really no different than we had before, but has many more advantages for us this way.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Gorgeous --- time for a party!!!! :)