Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
Design Around This; Goth Beachhouse

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 12:18

I will come right out and saying I am having second thoughts about my scheme for the LR. I don't want to influence anyone so I won't say yet where I think I've gone wrong.

So I am at your mercy.

Three Constraints:
1. The woodwork is not to be painted. We are going to try to decorate without painting over the wood. I know all that Goth darkness is tough, but ...
If, when we are all done, we turn to each other and say "meh", well, then we will paint it.
2. Some shade of blue or aqua must be used.
3. I am reupholstering and slipcovering the four armchairs you see. Nothing else stays.

Here she is, broken free at last from those horrible window treatments ...
 photo DSC03199_zps6a765278.jpg
 photo DSC03207_zpsd9942835.jpg
 photo DSC03204_zpse693c5f1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design Around This; Goth Beachhouse

The woodwork is gorgeous. I'm so glad you're going to see if it will work for you. I have no suggestions about an overall plan but wanted to mention that we had a beach house when I was young, completely different in style. Some of the upholstery was mohair velvet, a fabric that withstood wet bathing suits, sand, and general horsing around for a couple of decades before I came along. It wore like iron. Velvet sounds like a winter fabric to me but seemed just right in that setting. Of course it's just about as opposite as can be from the white linen you've been considering!

o

Okay, the dark wood is Gothic, but not teenager dark Goth. ;) I LOVE the wood without all the furniture crammed in there, and while I think I was previously in favor of painting it, right now I'm saying NOOOOOO don't paint it. It's so New England ship captain!

You can very, very easily paint a light blue on those walls without it looking weird. Blue and brown is a classic color combination. I see a ship in a bottle, some rope accents, breezy curtains ...

o

Are you going to refinish the hardwood floors? They seem so orange in the photos and I can see where they had a rug and the finish has faded. I would re-stain to better complement the woodwork. Now is the time to do this, before you move anything in.

I would be repainting the woodwork ... just can't live with so much darkness!

o

I confess that I am glad you are rethinking.

I live with dark wood, and it is a tough cookie, esp. if you are coming from a lighter, breezier mentality. I have thought about my own wood, and it sort of needs to be shown who is boss. :) You need colors, fabrics, etc. that will hold their own-- strong, classic (can I say classic?), and timeworn. Surprises thrown in work-- but not an overall scheme that is pretending the wood doesn't exist, if that makes sense.

o

I love this room emptied!! I am not really sure how to do links and a lot of photos (still a tech-challenged GW poster) but I have a couple of thoughts. First, I have always looked at photos of your house and thought coastal, or ocean-front, home rather than beachhouse. It's a nuance but i am the type of person who has always had key words to describe a house - to help me center around a decorating vibe. For me, beachhouse has more pastel/white/blue connotations and, often, painted woodwork.

Second, I fear the chintz may have thrown you off track. I am not sure if you recall an earlier post of mine, but when we bought our house on Cape Cod, I tried to respect its heritage with some chintz and it totally took me in the wrong direction. Six years later I am still "recovering" from that!

In your house, I think you need some modern, fun vivid colors to stand up to that amazing dark wood. I loved the track you were on with the hot pink. But it doesn't have to be pink - just a strong happy color or two for the palette, layered on some white. In addition to a large mirror over the fireplace, I could see sparkly modern interpretations of vintage sconces and maybe some painted wood furniture. You could have the wood on some of those chairs you are keeping laquered in a hot aqua or bright kelly green and put a white or neutral sunbrella on them.

On the walls, there is this really cool woman who sometimes sells at Brimfield Antique Fair - she colorizes off-beat and sometime large scale botanicals - I could see things like that on the walls. I saw a great carpet possibility the other day - will find the photo and post it later.

I think this room has amazing possibilities!!

o

What kind of house is it on the outside?

o

I would probably do grasscloth

o
RE: and

And Quadrille/Alan Campbell/China Seas fabrics

Here is a link that might be useful: Quadrille

o

Marinagal,

You are so right. The realtor called anything ocean front a beach house, but to me, it is not a beachhouse. If coast house or ocean house were a term, that'd work better. And it does make a difference. In older posts I think we said it was sort of "ye olde sea captain". And what you name something does matter in how you see it. I cringe at people who say they have a TV room, and in our NJ house I loved our screened porch so much more when it was pronounced a "verandah" by a guest.

There was a logic to the chintz, but I just don't know if I can make it feel ironic, or if it will only look old-lady. Moreover, I was trying to feminize the room and I don't think that works too well. LOL, on your "recovery". I wonder if DH would go for the lacquering of the wood (oh Beeeee, where are you?). He may since the chairs are essentially trash ... I just happened to like the random shapes of them together.

Anele, yes, it does make sense. I think I need to embrace the wood and not fight it.

Chispa, apart from fading, they are in great shape. And I don't know what Id do about the color. Not lighter, too much of a contrast ... and certainly not darker. I think they are a bit less orange in person. I will probably have rugs over most of it.

Thank you, Sun!

Lazy, sound beautiful. But pricey! Oh and how on earth do I lighten the room with dark upholstery. This is hard!

o

Jamies,

I just realized I dont have many exterior shots - and now the listing photos are gone!

Here's what I do have, apologies for quality:
 photo Screenshot2013-10-16at20731PM_zps612e5bb9.png

photo Screenshot2013-10-16at20744PM_zpsdc1f4ca9.png

photo Screenshot2013-10-16at20757PM_zpsd3015041.png

o

Oh my goodness, I'm in love with those porches.

o

here's a better one

photo DSC02936.jpg

o

Lazy, My husband was sold when he stood on the front porch. We didn't need to go in.

Ineffable, I love the fabrics you linked to. Just about all of them. I think the room needs that boldness if we want to make it brighter. I think the texture of grass cloth will compete well with the weight of the wood ... but am unsure of color. Too vivid, and it makes the room dark? Too pale, and it is too much of a contrast with the wood. Thoughts? Also, would you still use white linen slips and sisal rugs, and bring those fabrics in with things like the ottomans, pillows, and window treatments (placed so that they cover some of the wood but do not block ANY of the light). Thank you.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:29

o

I love the wood.

Are you dead-set on a mirror for over the fireplace? Why not fabulous piece of art that really brightens the space... one that you can pull colors from:

These are the wrong shape - but you get what I mean....

I'm a fan of sisals too...

I'm loving those chairs - and I can see why you want to keep them.

As far as questioning your "scheme" - is it more fabrics and "feel" of the room - or the furniture layout or both?

This post was edited by Janice742 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:44

o

Oh, it's beautiful.

Chintz, to me, goes with the paneling. They both read "English", and much of England is seaside, isn't it?
But I'm thinking of the shiny chintz with a dark ground. Your previous flowered fabric choice said "shabby chic", in my opinion. A plain linen or burlap is neutral, and would be easier to pull off than chintz.

You'd have to decide on a mood, first. "English seaside library" or "Refined summer retreat" is less lighthearted than "Breezy beaches", or "Sunny escape". It doesn't mean that you'd feel less lighthearted in such a place. Sometimes, at the shore, you might need to escape to a "Woody Envelope" -- there's lots of blue outside.

Once you're commited to the paneling, a small amount of teal/aqua/robin's egg/turquoise can go a long way. But it would be the dark, rich, subdued version of these colors, rather than either the Caribbean version, which is candy colored, or the RH version, which is grayed down and softened.

The fireplace is a good place to put it, in my opinion, because you can use the color on a surface - stone or tile, which is equal in richness and durability and "weight" to the paneling. I like it as a counterpoint. I'd do the pillow in mohair, like a previous poster mentioned.

You could lighten up with a big crystal or bleached bone chandelier.

I never thought I'd like a leather couch, but a nice, big shabby one would look really good, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: do you like this look?

o

-Light, airy curtains.
-Lighten up the fireplace somehow. It's just a big, dark hole right now that is sucking the life out of the room. :) Maybe a large piece of art in light colors above the fireplace. You could hang a large blank canvas there to get a feel for how it would look. And/or paint the brick. Again, tape up some sheets of paper to see how it would look.
-Consider hanging pieces of artwork on the paneling at seated eye height. Artwork that is light in color or artwork surrounded by a white mat. It will break up the darkness of the paneling.
-Is it a craftsman/arts and crafts home? If so, I see you using colors from this palette. Maybe the green or the turquoise blue on the walls. And a couple other colors for accents.

o

Janice -- its the feel and color and fabrics I am trying to decide on first.

Geo - I dont think so, its Dutch Colonial

o

Your home is beautiful, and I immediately thought of navy to compliment that gorgeous dark paneling mixed with lots and lots of white accessories and pops of light blue/turquoise and a little orange. Your floors do have an orange hue to them, and if you're not refinishing them anytime soon (with a slightly gray undertone - no poly), then the bit of orange accessorizing will help the floors appear less orange by contrast.

I know it seems counterintuitive to marry dark wood with a dark color like navy because you're trying to lighten things up, but what happens is that the flood of white accessories you will add (white drapes, white and colored striped carpet, white ceramics, etc) will look light and fresh and really pop. It's the ultimate classic coastal look.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1443931/Tracie-Ellis--Home-midcentury-bedroom-melbourne

http://www.houzz.com/photos/2542163/My-Houzz--An-Eclectic-1920s-Farmhouse-in-Georgia-eclectic-living-room-atlanta

http://www.houzz.com/projects/10202/03

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1415519/Farm-House-farmhouse-family-room-santa-barbara

o

I would not go with a dark color on the wall. It will be extremely dark in there; I think the color that is there works. You could play up the idea of contrast, even, though you will need to refinish the floors to tighten the palette. I would not use a pale color, though, if you choose something other than a neutral. I would go no darker than medium.

Are you putting in sconces by the FP?

Can we see the original furnishings again?

o

Anele,

photo Screenshot2013-09-02at122601PM.png

photo Screenshot2013-09-02at122540PM.png

o

Can you describe what you don't like/couldn't live with about the before?
What you do like/would like to live with?

o

Well, it was way too crowded for one. But also way too dark. Not to mention I really dislike orange and red or any variation. My primary home is all shades of white, almost everything upholstered is in white linen, no W/T,and a lot of patina.

I like light colors and patina and history and a touch of globalism. Someone here mentioned John Robshaw a while back, and I really like his stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: I like almost all of these pillow collections

o

My chintz definitely went too old lady (when I was shooting for funky!). In terms of wall color it is so tricky, but I think you were on the right track with a blue - just maybe needed something stronger and more cheerful. I am thinking something like BM Wythe Blue or FnB Blue Ground might work. You could layer other vivid accent colors (green, pink, coral - many choices) so nicely. My older DD chose Wythe Blue for her dark bedroom and it is surprising happy and bright.

o

Ps - I think the John Robshaw look could be a great starting point for you. His rugs are nice, too.

o

They always say you should empty out a room before making a plan. And you have done that.

You can't make the room much more "daylight" than it is right now. You can play with some reflective surfaces and bounce a little light around. But if it's already too dark for you, and you don't want to have lights on all the time, you can't keep the paneling. Even with the airiest curtains and lightest upholstery and prettiest water color over the fireplace and aqua-est accents, it will still be dark in the lower corners.

I'm just sayin.

o

Might be some ideas on this wonderful blog -- plus do check out her reading list .... some GREAT books! :)

Goth Beachhouse ideas:

-use the pale seaglass blue for master bedroom

Living Room:

-Large linen-white slipcovered sectional to really bring in the light ....
-dark blue linen cotton ikat on the chairs
-repeat ikat pattern on cushons for dining room chairs and
-large sisal rug
-copy local sea maps in a very large format -- then broken up and framed in a grid
-bowls of found beach stones
-blue-and-white china
-real brass (unpolished) for lights; also black iron -- perhaps like onion-shaped lamps or lanterns
-grasscloth for the walls
-watch movies like "Practical Magic" and "Somethings gotta give" for interior scenes

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog -- griege design

o

Thanks, Marinagal, and thanks for making me feel like less of a dork for thinking chintz. Not everyone understands "funky chintz". : )

Jamies, alas, that may well be true. But we will fight the good fight first. If we end up disappointed, the paint brushes will come out. When i was sitting in the room over the weekend (the red sofa draped with sheets to assuage my tender color sensibilities), it occurred to me that the room would work better if I embraced its dark tones at least a little bit!

Anele, yes, I plan a mirror inset over the FPL, w mounted sconces. I go back and forth over whether i want to tile the surround.

Jujubean, I do agree that the room could use some navy. I liked some of the navies in the Robshaw fabrics for that purpose.

o

I think the house is talked you out of your meta-traditional plan. That is not an ironic looking house.
Having lived in the area (Portsmouth), I associate sea captain's houses with beautiful blue and white porcelain pieces brought back from China. Yellows (like your fridge) and greens would blend in beautifully with those colors.
I loved living in the seacoast area, and I hope your family will have as much happiness there as I did.

o

Renovator8 would love this house. He is a shingle style man. That shot of the exterior with the car out front is gorgeous. Love this house. Sigh...

o

Note on grasscloth, which has been mentioned a couple of times.

The slight light reflective value which paint has makes walls meaningfully brighter than grasscloth, which absorbs light. I have recent, first hand experience with taking down grasscloth from a bedroom with windows on three sides. The room, while still not a sunny spot, got surprisingly brighter. It felt gloomy with the grasscloth.

I'm talking natural light. I don't know how much difference there is when viewed in artificial light, which you can move around where you want it. Maybe none.

o

One more question-- what are the other main spaces like? Do they all have dark wood, or are some rooms painted?

o

Looking at the room without furniture, maybe an aqua/blue fabric that includes a touch of the dark brown wood tone so that the wood has something to tie into instead of standing out on it's own, if that makes any sense?

I've been looking at fabric but haven't hit on anything yet.

o

Jamies, good to know, thanks.

Red-lover, Thank you. We fell in love with its quintessential new-england-coast-ness, and the big open arms feel of its porches. It's the kind of place that should always be festooned with wet beach towels...

Sonic, I totally get your point. Where might the seafaring captain have travelled, and what would he have brought back with him? Even in my old plan I felt blue and white ginger jar lamps calling to me, and in part that was what started to pull me away from the chintz thing. Some of these JR fabrics evoke that feel as well. I particularly like the second one in Row 3.

photo Screenshot2013-10-16at52423PM.png

And thank you for your warm wishes!

o

I just hafta say...
It's a wonderful house. I can imagine coming in from a brisque, bright, salty swim and settling into the "before", enjoying the darkness after so much brilliance, moving into cozy-time-with-my-peeps after that big, powerful, frothy ocean experience. Not worrying about whether I'm getting something wet that can't handle it, or depositing sand something that's too precious.

Those shingles and the gambrel shape just carry so much cultural memory. (It must be cultural because it warms my cockles even though I've never personally had any such fab oceanness)

I wouldn't feel the need to put much of my own personal mark on the place. It's iconic.

It's ok to embrace your dark, universal side. You can always step out onto the porch.

o

It sounds like you are worried the chintz isn't working out as planned - not "ironic" but too old lady. Maybe you just need to push the ironic envelope a little more. Or maybe I am way off base (stranger things have happened).

Mix in some more modern furniture, or funky items:

Or really push the envelope:

Choose accessories that reference the ocean location: maps, Chinese urns, maybe some coral. A great mix of artwork - traditional oil side by side with more contemporary line drawings would work great in the space to give it a comfortable, eclectic feel.

o

How would you feel about painting just a portion of the paneling? I think it could work very well for you. I just gotta say I am not feeling the chintz at all in these rooms. Might be great for the bedrooms in small doses but then again you have outstanding taste so who am I to say. Maybe I'm just not a chintz person. Anyway, here are a couple of examples of painted paneling.

o

Another

o

Oh my ... I'm thinking jewels on black velvet for an impression.

Walls in a very pale off white, panels on either side of the windows in something intense, floor to ceiling.

Intense mid-tone blues or blue-greens with hot pink accents: floral, stripe or geometrics doesn't matter. Use some fabrics in a pale cream or mostly cream for lightening.

That rug you showed, the faded out one with hot pink bits in it, would be wonderful to lighten and anchor the floor.

o

Mtn, I just love your beautiful SeaCaptain's House. I can just imagine sitting on a rocking chair on a cool morning, wrapped in a blanket and enjoying a cup of hot coffee before starting my day.

I love the fabric in the third row. I think that is my favorite also but vying for second place is the first one in row four. I love blue and brown together.

Sending you lots of warm wishes for many hours spent enjoying your lovely seaside retreat!

PS. I love watching your beautiful home evolve into your special place.

o

That seacoast area is so special. I was in my 20s when I lived there, and loved every minute. You obviously don't want your house decorated like a museum, but you might get inspiration from historic house tours, such as at Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth. Soak up the vibe, then apply it to an updated, happy family house.

o

The Quadrille / China Seas fabrics mentioned by ineffable are a lot like John Robshaw but a bit brighter and less complex.

Quintessential Robshaw is fairly dark as an overall look, sometimes close to gloomy, although rooms like this are notoriously hard to photograph and aren't really so dark in real life.
You won't get a Robshaw look if you are shy about it.

o

Just had to add in that my first thought was the house in Beetlejuice with the mom's crazy "art".

Yikes.

I can see chestnut brown, pale gray, and the blue working together well as a color scheme, with a dollop of sea glass green to pull out the softness and feminine aura.

o

Hi Lazy, I like the metaphor, but for a colorphobe like me, its kinda scary! The runner I bought is supposedly on its way (though they keep pushing out the shipping date, and I am trying to imagine RH keeping track of one lil' ole runner). It will find a home somewhere, if it love it in person as much as I expect to.

Holly-Kay, You are so kind, thank you.I hope I don't become too tiresome before it's all done. I used to like brown and blue, but then it got over done (esp aqua and chocolate). Here, there is a reason to put them together again, if you will.

SonicMom, That is a good suggestion. I am hoping to go back up in a few weeks to look at some of the local decor sources, too.

Palimpsest, I see your point, thank you. It's sort of like Buatta. Exuberance is part of the look. The thing I appreciated so much about Ineffable's suggestion is that those fabrics are a bit ... heartier. The Robshaw may be too light and delicate to vie with the wood. He may be relegated to the bedroom. Oh and his fabrics, too.

CaminNC, Painting the panelling is cheating! : )
Thank you for the compliment. I have never owned any chintz to my recollection, and I'm more of a burlap or linen person. In trying to break out my box, I think I went a little too far.

JRueter, I like those rooms. And is the type of thing I was trying to do. But I just don't think I have the skills to pull that off.

Jamies, What a lovely passage. I had to read one of your comments to DH, "it's iconic". That sums up so well how we felt about it too. For the things we value in a house, it wasn't something you could just buy or create, you had to find it.

o

I think people confuse saturation with darkness or gloominess, and I don't think the darkest of John Robshaw's (or Miles Redd's) rooms are at all gloomy.

I think rooms that are pastel but don't get a lot of natural light can be more gloomy because the color grays out, and there is not much to look at.

o

Sorry, you were posting pictures when I was writing my post. Gorgeous house!

o

Geokid, thank you!

Julie, oooh, I like that palette!

Ineffable, you are invaluable! Listen to this ... So I am wondering around the Quadrille site, and I see this room (below). And I think, well the dark screen makes a bit of a parallel to my room. I like the room's direction, although I might choose a different accent color (turquoise over orange let's say). I notice the photo is from HB April 2013, so I try to find the related article. What I find is the Maine "beachhouse" of the designer of these fabrics! 20 pages of great, on target inspiration for our whole house project! I had searched and searched for examples of Maine houses like ours to draw from, but kept finding either very countrified space or McBeachhouses.

I'm so pleased to have found a good source from which to steal ideas!

photo Screenshot2013-10-16at91703PM.png

Here is a link that might be useful: Great inspirations for our whole house

o

I mentioned Robshaw for hand blocked prints in your chintz thread. DD2 has several pillows and bedding. I made a shower curtain from one of his square tablecloths for DGS bathroom - great hand stitched details all around on the edges. The MBR sheets have this detail too. I love most of his prints and don't find any of them dark or gloomy. I think Pal's example is probably not as dark IRL. Look forward to seeing the house evolve.

o

Look no further -- the HB spread is perfect. I can totally see this in your space. The fabrics and wallpapers are divine....
Too bad they didn't show the kitchen.
Or maybe it's better that they didn't - then you may end up second guessing! :)

o

Aha! It was you, Allison. It turns out I have a few of his pillows already. Thank you for mentioning him.

I think Pal's example was JR's own apartment, FWIW

Here is a link that might be useful: Robshaw roundup for interested peeps

o

o

Yes, I've seen his house in magazines. The LR is dark because of the paint (Pal's example), but I remember his bright MBR. The woodwork in your home is gorgeous, and since you decide to not paint (yea!), I know you'll brighten it with slipcovers and rugs, pillows and art.

Navy is a good choice - reflects being on the water without screaming beach. We're on a small lake and I used a navy and jute RL comforter in the MBR. To me, there's a definite connection of indoors/outdoors when I'm in the room.

o

Kathryn M. Ireland has some beautiful fabrics

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathryn M. Ireland

o

bbstx --- hmm, yes it would. And it's pretty in that room. But I think it would skew my room too formal, maybe?

o

On my screen the woodwork looks black.

Is it really black? And if so is it stained black or has it just darkened over many years?

I ask because I have some rooms with real c. 1900 bead board (i.e. individual narrow boards with actual beads along on the meeting edges) that used to be black as sin.

The finish was also highly crazed and aligatored. I considered painting the walls because they were simply too dark to live with. I was futzing around testing various strippers and I discovered that the walls were originally finished with shellac, and that with very little trouble I could reliquify the old shellac, removing most of it and leaving the boards a lovely, warm, color about the darkness of light mahogany or aged cherry. In other words not the black they had oxidized into, but a beautiful wood shade.

If your wood is darkened from age (not from staining, or wood species), then you might try a test to see if you like the color after removing the old darkness.

HTH

L

o

I think if you did some classic Delft tiles for the firebox surround instead of the brick that it would dramatically lighten up and define the fireplace wall. And use that blue in the Delft as the major color to work with the space. I'm not seeing grasscloth for the walls. I'm seeing silk. It's got a bit of a sheen, and is light reflective. In Delft blue. All of those materials are what the sea captain would have brought home from his travels and will work with the bones of the home without hitting it with the paint brush. Think 18th century globetrotting Victorian collector with a modern sensibility towards editing.

o

Phoebe Howard has done a Sea Captain's House

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard

o

Well, I was going to suggest that you do woven shades with dropcloth curtains, because I think it has a good ocean/beach vibe and would not be as stark of a contrast with the dark paneling. But after seeing those fabulous chevron curtains in the picture you posted I think you should do those. And since you don't like orange like in that room you could swap out out for dark pink accents instead.

o

I found these glossy ceilinged rooms while looking for information on ceiling paint that is more light reflective than normal paint or normal ceiling paint. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I ran across all of these rooms with glossy ceilings and thought I would throw them into the mix.

This is not so formal but is still glossy:

or this

o

In re-looking at the photographs, I noticed the ceiling molding is dark. I know you don't want to paint the woodwork, but have you thought about painting the ceiling molding in a lighter color, like white or cream? For some reason, I think taking that one small dark element out of the room would lighten it up immensely!

o

Liriodendron,
I think it looks black due to the limitations of my point and shoot camera handling bright sunlight through the windows against the dark wood. The shot below, near the desk, is representative (desk is not staying btw).

photo DSC03205.jpg

I did talk with my contractor though, about exactly your point. If we are not painting, it should be clean and polished. He is going to do a test area for me.

Thanks, Jess. I agree.

Arapaho, I will go look at the links.

o

BBSTX, Yes, i am totally willing to do that one piece of molding in the same color as the wall or ceiling. I had thought of that too, and it does seem like it create bands around the room that shorten it.

Arapaho, Thank you for the PH link. It is right on point. I think I have a direction now. Funny, one of the PH rooms has a Quadrille chair IIRC!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 22:30

o

I know this is an entirely different direction, and perhaps not suited to a "colorphobe." But it's one of my favorite photos featuring aqua (turquoise) walls, and it's just so saturated and happy that I thought I'd throw it out there. Maybe not particularly beachy, but gothic.

o

Nutherokie,

Never mind my darned room, hello! How are you? Is it me are have we not seen you in a while?? Did we ever get a reveal of that fabulous brick floored kitchen. (IIRC)

PS I do like that hot pink and turquoise thing, feels vaguely harem-y. If not in this room, maybe in my girl's rooms. They have a really fun 2rm suite that they are allowed to decorate. It has builtins and a windowseat, so cute.

o

Aww, thanks for asking. And hello back!

Once we moved in after the world's longest building project, I kind of went AWOL. I had mainly stalked the kitchen board and somehow can hardly bring myself to go there anymore. I truly love our house - especially the kitchen - but the kitchen forum brings out my negative obsessive qualities. I begin to focus on the plethora of tiny little things that disappointed me.

So I guess I never posted finished pics. Not that I consider it finished. Ha.

I admire your energy and creativity. I'm spent before completing one house and you've got three going! And they are all fabulous. The beach house just melts me.

o

Love PhoebeHoward! And thanks for posting, arapaho...I saw a light fixture that might work for GF's room.

mtnrd, I would think about investing in lighting. The lovely colors and woodgrain of the paneling won't show up without it, and the dark brown absorbs so much light that you'll need some help from edison to really make the room sparkle as it should. I know a lot don't like can lights and some older homes aren't good at retrofit, but just removing the drapes and letting the sunlight in so changes the look of the room...you want to be able to keep that going in the evening too.

I really like the blue and white fabric you like too. I think that can work and I like it better than the chintz. I also like the idea of tile around the fireplace. You could go with delft if you want to keep the blue and white theme going.

o

Holly, I realized I forgot to respond. I was thinking Delft, too, and actually found a wonderful source here in CT with authentic old Delft tile. I am thinking, though, to leave that last, as the other elements come into place. The tile is so pricey that I need to be sure I'd love it forever.

Nutherokie, I hear you. I need some sort of counselling to get over the myriad flaws in our project we did here in CT, not to mention scream therapy over our GC fiasco.
Still, if you are ever inclined, your kitchen deserves a star turn!

Annie, I am hoping not to do cans, but I may cave. Right now my plan is, 2 sconces on a mirror over the fpl, lamps between each grouping of chairs, and two sofa table lamps. None of the WT would cover any glass.

o

Blue and white toile!!! Lee Jofa has a great marine/ seafaring toile, and many blue and white fabrics would be a crisp counterpart to the dark paneling.

Mtn, would you ever consider painting the floors? I think that would lighten up the interior instantly. The color doesn't look very good against the dark paneling, and if you are going to save wood, I would save the paneling, not the floors. A lovely farrow and ball light light gray, or even a very light blue. It would be a huge change, and painted floors are very much in keeping with a beach / ocean / waterfront.

o

blue and yellow?

o

Not the look you are trying to achieve in your beach house -- feels more like a sophisticated big city club. But, I thought this image from House Beautiful was a great example of decorating with the kind of dark woodwork you have. Note that this room has very high ceilings. That may be one reason it feels so light and bright with the dark paneling. I like how balanced the room is between light and dark.

photo 1-the-living-room-VidY9c-xlg_zps7515ed69.jpg

o

Francoise's photo shows a room with dark crown molding - I think that's what has bothered me about the dark woodwork in your home. Your molding is less substantial and pulls the eye to the ceiling. While I would hate to paint the rest of the woodwork without seeing if you could work with it - I would definitely consider painting the crown molding. It seems to be out of balance with the heftier look of the wall paneling.

o

I agree, Maire, the crown molding is a crown for some black sheep prince, pretty puny. Do you think it will lool okay painted the wall color? Or will one miss the demarcation? I certainly dont want to beef it up!

KSWL - I think a painted floor is too casual for the wood ... but I loved painted floors and plan one in the kitchen. If I go with navy and white I will use a lot of patterns, toile included.

Francoise, When i was inthe room I was reminded of a university club, so yes, that is the look ...

o

First off, I'm sure your design decisions will look terrific and I am looking forward to following your progress. I just want to add that besides the dark paneling I think the other elephant in the room is the ceiling height. They aren't terribly low but certainly lower than many of the inspiration photos.

I don't know enough to suggest how you can work around or with the ceilings but I think as you make choices you need to keep the issue in mind. Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable posters can assist. As mentioned above, painting the ceiling trim is a great suggestion.

o

Maire has made an interesting observation about the molding near the ceiling. It looks like it may be for hanging pictures and not a crown molding. I would paint it the wall color and make it disappear. As it is now it seems to make the ceiling look lower than it probably is.

o

I love the university club look, but thought it would be too formal for your setting and the spirit of the rest of the house. This room at the DC University Club helped inspire my bookcases in my library.

Re lighting, I think part of the problem with cans is they are uncomfortable lights to be under...no one wants a spotlight on top of their head. That's why I like the way Candice uses them, small and white, to accent the walls and art work and window treatments, (typically about 14-18" away from the wall) so the room has a warm glow when you're in it, not the feel of a commercial space. You might consider going with a lighting consultant as you may have constraints with retrofitting an older structure. And with LEDs and trims and so on, lighting has become a lot more technical than in the past. But in my experience, good lighting can literally make or break a room, not only in look, but in how it feels to be in the space. Speaking of lighting, what's with the wall sconces by the chair in the corner? That seems an odd location for that style of lighting...was there a picture there?

o

Hi Annie,

Good point about lighting art to warm the room as mich as higglight the art. Will consider that. No, there was a piano.

o

I'm going to break my own rule here regarding art. I never buy art to match, I buy it just because I like it.

Since you have such a large space over the FP which is the cause of darkening the room, I would first figure out the color scheme you want to use in the room, then search for a large piece of art that matches and also brightens up the area. Then go from there.

That should only take you a few months or so. lol

o

Oh my goodness I'm in love with this house. But I got nothin. Good luck with all of your decorating decisions.

o

Something needs to go lighter to make this a happy space. I have a hard time painting beautiful wood but you are going to continue to struggle with the overbearing darkness of it no matter what pretty fabrics you put in there. I def think that the move towards navy and white will work much better than your initial colors, just keep it simple as you have with your other house.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:05

o

MtnRdRedux
Yes, it can work. Your email here is not set up to accept responses so you would need to send me your email.

o

Well I got lost on Phoebe Howard's site (love so many of her rooms) but found this pic of beach towels in her "Blue Beach House" which might be a starting point for a color scheme. A towel rack like that would be great in your house.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If this were my house I'd have those floors sanded and restained in a medium brown tone. I think white walls with blue fabric/accessories accents such as in the traditional blue and white porcelain which the sea captain might have brought back from China would be very appropriate. Delft tiles around the firebox as previously suggested would be perfect. Add in turquoise as a smaller accent color for a more modern scheme and perhaps even a smidge of yellow if that is what you are using in the kitchen.

Your 4 chairs reupholstered and slipcovered in a white Sunbrella fabric would be perfect and worry-free.

I can't imagine all the decisions you are having to think about making to decorate this house. It's why I've always been glad I have always kept some of our furniture on our many moves so there is a ready-made starting point.

o

Thx Joanie, anyway.

Oakley, I totally suck at picking out art and rugs (they are the same thing really). The only art I really like is pretty much in the Louvre. So I pretty much don't bother. No can do, sorry!

Athome, Love the photo. And it helps on a few fronts. One, it shows a mix of white and dark trim. Two, it gives me the idea to paint the spindles and maybe risers. Three, I have a round table that was in the house and I particularly like it but was not sure where to put it. I want to try it just like the one in the photo. Thx!

o

Luckygal,
We bought the house and its entire contents, so that we could stay there immediately and not rush decisions. But that is a subject for a whole 'nother post...

o

I like the oxidized floors, especially since it is not a formal primary residence. I am not sure if "ad hoc" is the most correct term, but "for this particular purpose [ coastal house]" is what my mindset would be about decorating it.

If you look at the Robshaw picture above, there are pictures hung with edges behind the sofa, touching other pieces, behind lamps. It's all very imperfect. When he redid the kitchen, he took down a wall, couldn't move any of the plumbing because it's an apartment, so he left the pipes hanging out and painted them.

o

Funny you should mention that about the pipes. We are going with a truly unfitted kitchen. Other than one original china hutch and the butler's pantry cabinets, there will be no cabinets. There are some pipes that the PO covered with a weird panelled chase. I told the GC to remove it and paint the pipes the same color as the wall. Unfortunately, while he agreed with the look, he told me to be prepared for plan B if, instead of finding the lovely old pipes I imagine, we get PVC!

o

Just in case you head in this direction with your fireplace, thought you might like to see this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Authentic Delft Tiles

o

Here, via the magic of photo editing, is a better look at what the room would look like to a human ... we have better ability to handle the light than a digital camera.

With the woodwork polished up and maybe a metallic paint on the ceilings, it's going to gleam. (you can get pale metallics, like a silver-blue or pale yellow, from various places)

mtnrdredux .... you know you want to kick over the traces! You know you want sleek, comfortable deep peacock blue and hot pink chairs and ottomans against that lovely opulent deep chocolate woodwork.

With shiny brass or pearl inlays in the end tables. And gilt-framed artwork. Shiny accessories.

The house itself makes a strong statement, so it would be very hard to overwhelm it, and very easy to be too meek.

o

I'm not pushing the glossy metallic ceiling idea, but if that is the direction you want to go, one website suggested painting over whatever color you choose with a pearlized glaze.

On a slightly different tack, is a Diamond Baratta style room too much for you? When I first saw this for some reason, I thought Diamond Baratta. Here is a similar room from Anthony Baratta

o

That enhanced pic is very helpful.

It's so funny, but I really don't normally like bright and contemporary, but now with the drapes gone, that room just sings contemporary to me...not in terms of furniture style so much...i think upholstering those chairs would be fab...but in terms of color. I want to add bright saturated colors that are cheerful, friendly, casual, and welcoming, that can stand up to the rich brown of the paneling. While I love blue and white, it could go dated very quickly... I'll have to nose around and see if I an find an inspiration room that illustrates what I'm thinking....more like what Sarah Richardson might do with it... Color, print, life, fun.

o

Color, print, life, fun.

ALL of those?

::: mtn cowers :::

o

joan at "for the love of a house" blog has done all of her ceilings in BM Pearl finish...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceilings in Pearl finish

o

With the woodwork taller than your "normal" wood wainscoting, maybe consider hanging artwork ON it -rather than above -- this is assuming you won't have much in the way of furniture up against the walls....

I have a friend that did that on one of her walls and it looks great.

This is much higher than yours, but you get the idea....

I just liked this rug... reminded me of the HB article:

These are just some fun fabrics....

o

What a lovely room it already is and will be when you have worked your magic. I am adding a link for some inspiration. Some of the decor might inspire you even further.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de Texas

o

You are kind, Aktillery (I always read your name as "artillery"). I know Joanie's blog well -- it was where i got the idea for zinc kitchen counters!

Janice, Thank you. I might want to try hanging things on the wood ... anything that reduces the mass. I like that rug; where is it from?

Arapaho, one thing is, the ceiling will be new because its popcorn right now, so we should have the requisite smooth surface needed for glossy paint. I just don't know if the Cap'n would be happy with all that girliness when he got home from a voyage. : )

Thank you Lazygardens, your did a great job enhancing it. I should have done that myself before I u/l it. It really is lovely.

BBstx, I have a stong aversion to blue and yellow, outside of Giverny. I think because it has been done often, poorly, it can feel kind of juvenile to me. (props to Beagles, of course, who did it very well).

o

thank you Mtnrd for all these threads. I'm just loving all the suggestions you're getting and it's wonderful to look through the suggested links. I'm finding resources I wasn't aware of.
I got lost in Phoebe Howard site. Think I need to buy her book.
Your house is absolutely gorgeous, and now that it's more or less a clean slate it's wonderful to consider the possibilities. I agree that if you clean up your woodwork it'll be perfect. It would be a shame to paint it. That said, the floors really don't go with that fabulous paneling. They're too orangy-red, too light, too something. Since I don't think you plan to crowd the room like it was when you bought it maybe you should consider refinishing the floors.
Personally I wouldn't worry about blue and white becoming dated. It's such a classic look that it survives cycles of fashion, especially for seaside homes.
I believe that rug is part of the Ralph Lauren collection, available at Frontgate.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: SheldonRugRalphLauren

o

I am normally a paint the wood girl but that wood is beautiful. What about redoing the floors in a white wash stain. It would lend itself to the blues you want to put on the walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: something like this

o

The floors in my CT house were like that when we bought it... people used to call it "pickled". And the ceilings and some walls in several rooms were grass cloth. We ripped all of that out, I somehow can't bear to put it back in to another house, LOL.

I have to think about the floors. They are heart pine. To me, that is what heart pine looks like, simple as that ...

o

Don't look at style, but look at the colors...deep, rich, saturated, yet bright and lively. Strong enough to stand up to yet play nicely with the deep brown walls. Note too the heart pine floors...

o

I get it, Annie, and it is a very rich look...but I have to say I don't know if I could live with it.

Oh, and I don't think those are heart pine. Heart pine has no knots IIRC. Its not really what most people think of when they think of pine.

I was boring DH with this stuff between innings and he really likes the Quadrille stuff, as do I. We both think we'd like a version of this room:

photo Screenshot2013-10-16at91703PM.png

In fact, DH really liked the wallpaper and thinks it would be light and fresh but still stand up to the woodwork.

o

Here is the rug:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

o

Beverly (27, is it?),

Apologies and props to you. Just over a month ago, in my chintz post, you gently tried to steer me to Quadrille and blue and white ... twice!

Sometimes a person just has to be ready. ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: When bad ideas happen to good people

o

mtn, I have four words (I am chanting them in my own head as I am dealing with this decision on the opposite coast): Just. Paint. It. White.

Your house is so beautiful!

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 3:29

o

I had those bamboo turned wood curtain rods once. They're pretty, but it's difficult to open and close the panels.

o

Sorry, you're right...delete the heart...just pine floors. I was thinking more of the color.

But I understand what you mean about the saturated colors...either they work for you, or they don't.

I was almost thinking of using reef colors like you see in a marine aquarium colors as inspiration...sort of beachy...

But you've really got to want them to use them...they are bright, but definitely fun and lively.

o

If you don't think you can live with intense colors, go monochrome but have plenty of texture. I saw a stunning apartment in Mexico that was grey. Just grey, but shades of grey and textures of grey.

Keep the woodwork, and use cream upholstery but in a corduroy or damask or something with visible texture. Patterned fabrics in chocolate and cream.

Then you can bring in a touch of the hot pink and teal as accents, but have the larger decor in the quieter colors you prefer.

o

If I were you, I'd take your inspiration picture (which I love too) and give it to a decorator and say - "This is what I want, go find it", or even better yet, Call Phoebe Howard and give her your inspiration photo. You have the means to make this a beautiful room and I think it will set the tone for the whole house, so do it right!

My only change would be to find a beautiful rug to tie it all together. While I love seagrass in a picture, I do not like it on my bare feet and at the beach, bare feet will be common! :-)

I also agree that you should try and live with the wood for at least awhile. It's actually a nice color - not orangey or purpley brown. But, I do agree with someone else who posted that perhaps the perfect solution is painting some of the wood and leaving some brown. Figuring out that is another post!

o

I like your inspiration photo from P. Howard, I am wondering if anyone could photo shop some of those elements into your room especially the drapes. I do not think the wallpaper reads casual beachfront but what do I know.
Here is another PH photo that shows some darker wood and your slip covered couches with a bit of the same decor.
Maybe a mixture of the two. i really think that I would stick with an off-white for the walls above the wood and put all my colors in the furnishings.

o

Well, Lyban, this is pretty lame but I am still liking it. I think that wallpaper, even in a delicate color, somehow stands up better to the wood then just paint. I saw that room, too, and loved it.

photo Screenshot2013-10-18at12339PM.png

Caroleoh, They make a lot of stuff on the seagrass continuum that is soft on the feet, so I'm not too worried about that. As for the wood, pretty sure I will paint the crown, the risers and the spindles.

Lazy, i like that color scheme, a lot. But I think I am going to go with the blue. Something a little different for me!

Annie, you are just trying to make my head spin!

Thank you, Pip. And I know you know from whence you speak. And I know I told you that you know you want to paint it white and so you should (shhh, don't tell the purists). But I think the wood is beautiful and unique, and I really don't want to paint it if I can avoid it. I will try this way, first.

o

Just so enjoying vicariously decorating your living room...I think I'm on my 5th or 6th redesign already.

Saw this design seed today, and thought of your room

o

If we can vote, I vote "no" to zigzag and chevron fabric for curtains.

o

LOL, Annie, you are prolific.

Francoise, DH says chevron gives him a head ache. I need a bold graphic navy and white print for the WR; maybe some sort of stripe. I really like John Robshaw's Indigo Gent's stripe, but it is too pale and mousy and the wrong scale.

o

Just painting the spindles and risers is going to stand out as a bit odd (even if the crown is painted too). The pic that I posted has the spindles painted and a light colored runner but the spindles fit in with the painted paneling. Plus, you have that cool lattice looking piece on yours, if anything I could see not painting any of the stair parts even if you decided to paint the paneling.

I know that you are going for a youthful look and feel, probably because the house does have a sort of grandmotherly feel to it and the past owners stuff was pretty dowdy and a bit haphazard. The inspiration room that you have chosen still has that feel to me and although bits and pieces would look nice, the look as a whole is going to have too much going on for your space.

Maybe you have started over thinking the design for the living area and need to take a step back, think of the house as a whole. I see simple, classic, not theme-y or try hard working the best. You already have that going on with your dining room, and you have done it in your past homes. Your style and taste helped you consistently pic beautiful, classic homes which you have decorated in an honest fashion being true to yourself. Why try to push your style in a different direction?

And just to be clear, I do not think that a house having a grandmotherly feel is negative at all. My favorite design is when a house is made to feel comfortable and nostalgic, this usually involves large bookshelves filled with books. Hmm... maybe your room needs built ins?

o

"Just painting the spindles and risers is going to stand out as a bit odd (even if the crown is painted too)."

I'm not sure. Seeing the picture you posted gave me a sense of how it looks to mix stained and painted trim in one room, and I think it may work.

"the look as a whole is going to have too much going on for your space." I guess it depends on how I use the "inspiration picture". The main things I am taking away from it are 1) small to medium sized wallpaper in a blue that is toward aqua; 2) bold graphic navy and white large scale window treatments 3) The use of several prints of different scales and different shades of blue 4) seagrass rug or similar look and 5) some metallics.

The things I won't use are 1) orange as an accent -- i know that is a big change but I don't think I want orange, will need to let that evolve. 2) mermaid tables, middle eastern chairs, lots of doodads of any kind.

Another pic of the room, making the point about the melange of patterns and fabrics:
 photo Screenshot2013-10-18at52918PM.png

"Why try to push your style in a different direction?" Because I don't want to replicate my CT house. I sort of feel like ive been there, done that. I want to branch out a bit. For me, navy and white patterns is going off the deep end! LOL

And thank you for your compliments!

o

Francosie, how about stripes like these ... but in navy ?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 18:45

o

If I may weigh in: The Dutch seafarers ventured to China and Japan, so blue and white like Oriental inspired Delft Blue, e.g.:

as well as Indonesia, South Africa, and the Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Suriname)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Colonial in Bali

o

Nsoccermom, Those are great rooms! Thank you. I am feeling really comfortable with this blue and white scheme.
Funny, the fabric in the second photo is on a swedish bench I have in my breakfast room. I am hard pressed to recall any other prints in my home but that one! Note the bamboo blinds again.

o

I love the rooms Nsoccermom posted -- lots of inspiration in those rooms.

I think that the horizontal stripe drapes aren't a bad choice. They feel classic and even nautical.

o

I thought so, too, Francoise. Plus they are very reasonable, custom (so I can upgrade the quality) and fro Etsy. When possible I want to buy handmade, vintage, or local.

o

Nosoccermom's first photo is almost exactly what I was thinking for your space, I even had a paragraph that i deleted that pretty much said- light rug, print on curtains and pillows, neutral sofa and chairs, rattan or woven chairs, and green as an accent. Those spaces are more your style which is what I was trying to say in the last post- this house can look different than your CT house (dif colors, a little more lively prints) but still be true to your style. Classic, refined, comfortable.

o

A few more:

Or something into turquoise

And more into sea glass:

Also, link to "sea captain's home"

Alternatively, here's a link to "Victorian/Gothic rooms "

Most are pretty depressing, but there are a few with a blue/white decorating scheme or Gauguin prints.

Here is a link that might be useful: More blue and white family rooms

o

Congratulations on your new home. Welcome to Maine! It seems like you might have a direction in mind given some of your inspiration photos, but maybe the crux of your struggle (as previously mentioned) is with how to give a nod to the sea captain theme without going too stuffy or kitschy. Perhaps if you set up a corner of the room with an antique or antique style globe on a pedestal and a lovely antique style telescope (both could not only be decorative, but also be used by the family) set up on a table alongside an oversized nailhead leather wing chair and an appropriate table or floor lamp, you might have a springboard to your design. In this way, you can then bring in some lovely floor treatments and the toile and blue and white accent pieces that others have suggested.

o

Random idea. I really like these drum pendants. What do you think of hanging one centered in front of the windows in each of the alcoves where I have two armchairs? Or if not these particular ones, what do you think of the idea of two drums there?

photo Screenshot2013-10-19at120500PM.png

photo Screenshot2013-10-19at121724PM.png

o

Gotta run but thx, Nsoccer, for all the great rooms.

Thanks, Golden. Two concerns. One, that can veer very kitschy if you aren't careful. Two, it takes up floor space that I need for functional things. That said, I have been buying up old maps of places our family has travelled to (we travel a lot) and I want to frame those and use them somewhere.

o

The main things I am taking away from it are 1) small to medium sized wallpaper in a blue that is toward aqua; 2) bold graphic navy and white large scale window treatments 3) The use of several prints of different scales and different shades of blue 4) seagrass rug or similar look and 5) some metallics.

OH yes! Didn't we discuss a "seafaring captain brought back blue and white china" theme a while back?

I really liked the intense blue and white Ikat sofa you posted. It's got enough white in it to lighten the room.

I would not paint the spindles - I would use a runner on the stairs in blue and white.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 17:02

o

Mtn, I always loved the idea of a drum pendant, until I borrowed one from the lighting store to try out over my kitchen table. I hated it because it really provides an obstruction to your field of view and blocked part of my drapes and window views. You might want to have your DH hold up a similar sized object to get a feel for its bulk.

o

I'm crazy about unobstructed windows and want to be able to see every bit of the sky possible through window tops, so drum pendants would not be my choice in those locations. I probably wouldn't make the two alcoves that symmetrical, either, but I don't have the overall sense of the space you do so my comment may not be relevant.

o

If you want to "test drive" a hanging light fixture, you can try what I did. I wanted to see whether or not I'd like pendants over my kitchen island. I got white balloons and blew them up to a size similar to the pendants I was considering. Then I tied a string to each balloon. Using a straight pin, I pinned the string to the ceiling, letting the balloon hang down to about the same place a pendant would be. Worked like a charm and allowed me to visualize the pendants.

o

Have you heard of Spoonflower? They started out doing just fabric, they've branched into fabric and wallpaper.
You can have any design you want uploaded and printed, in any color, in any scale. Or you can choose one of the designs that they've printed and is in their archives, most submitted by graphic artists and the like.
They have tons of blue and white, 10 different fabric bases - only two or three that are suitable for Home Dec. I'm not sure their wallpaper base is what you're looking for, but their fabrics could solve some of your dilemma of finding the right scale/color/design.
This is one of their "damask" collection where the artist offers to scale it to what you want and custom colorize it.

I believe that's from Peacoquette design

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoonflower

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 17:19

o

IN re symmetry and the chairs,

I want to maximize seating space, and to do so I want to seat at least two people in each of these alcove areas. A sofa or loveseat is too high for the window, so it needs to be two separate pieces. I am trying to play down the symmetry by using four different chairs, different tables between them, different throw pillows and maybe differnt slipcovers, too.

o

Mlweaving, Yes I know spoonflower. I find it easier to work with less choices, not more! I think Id never decide, LOL.

BBstx, I am pretty sure I have drum shade around , even easier. I can do 20", 24" or 30"

Lazy, yes, we did. In fact one of the lines I am now so enthralled with, Quadrille, was suggested by Beverley a month ago (I noted this above!). I just felt that navy and white was so predictable, I wanted to feminize the space. Once I spent the weekend there (we closed last Friday), I changed my mind (as many of you ALSO noted I would do.). : )

Chispa, I am not sure if this will really feel like it blocks light, depending on size and exactly where i hang it. I generally agree with you. However, the ocean views are to the front of the house and the opposite side, so we only lose tree views in those windows.

o

The colors you are talking about remind me of Sarah Richardson's dining room...ex the horrible horse picture...including the bold stripe which she put on the back of the chair. I loved her drapery fabric here too. And I loved the use of the striped fabric for the welting which really gave a dynamic look to the chair.

Here's a family room where she did a great job of mixing prints in blue and white. She is a master of mixing prints.

o

I love the Phoebe Howard interiors and think they can be interpreted very successfully in your ocean house, keeping the fabrics durable and family friendly. The HB photos are seem pretty unliveable to me....too much unrelated stuff and styles...Those rooms look too eclectic to feel comfortable. I will say I like those touches of coral in the HB photos. That combination of navy, light blue and coral has been a mainstay of traditional decor and when it's right it looks fresh and light.

I vote no to the drum lights also, and even their consideration makes me want to urge you to hook up with a designer in Maine !! :-)

o

mtn, I'm being redundant here, but if you intend to minimize symmetry I wouldn't use the same noticeable lighting fixture in the two alcoves.

By the way, there are two of us lazies lazying around, so I apologize if I'm muddling the waters.

Subtle fixtures in tandem might be fine, but I would not do two drum shades as they are attention-grabbers. And I wouldn't do even a single drum shade in front of a window since I want to see every bit of the sky. Go for the vista!

But that's just me....

o

Such defined seating groups may not be ideal for your big, open family space especially if you are going for a less formal feel. If you are going to group chairs it would be nice to use lighter weight chairs that can be moved in closer to the center of the room so that when you have large groups people can either sit apart or can all gather together.

o

But lighter weight chairs aren't comfy.

When we stayed at the house last weekend, these four chairs, in these positions, were very popular. To sit and read, to surf the net, etc. In the center of the room I can really only fit one 3-seater sofa, with a loveseat or 2 easy chairs. That's seating for 5. That is not enough. These alcoves are the natural place to seat people, and they are very cozy.

o

Hey, how about if I use these drum pendants in my MBR? It will free up space on the side tables.

Like these (but not these)

o

Here's a photo I had saved of drum pendants over nightstands.

Here is a link that might be useful: drum pendants over nightstands

o

Swing arm lamps hard wired into the wall, mounted on either side of the bed also save nightstand real estate and have the added advantage of being adjustable. I think the pendant drums are a bit of a fad (as is the whole "sea glass" thing) and because they are ubiquitous they'll be out of favor soon. Maybe you could find those shades, smaller, obviously, for swing arm lamps--- then you'd have the shape in a form that could easily be changed.

o

Thanks, jujubean, I knew i'd seen that done.

I don't know if it will work well with my bed though (this is a shot of the bed I am going to use from my old NJ house). I was planning on draping it with an off white muslin.

o

Yes, KSWL, and I do read in bed. I guess sometimes I just like to mix it up, my current MBR has adjustable wall lamps on pulleys, and my last MBR had swing arms.

Sometimes you have to give in to a trend here and there to get happy. I could always change them later.

o

I've been having a lot of fun checking this thread out, Mtnrdredux.

I love those hanging lights you posted. The issue of patterned shadows on a book is merely a resultant effect be dealt with. I haven't checked my Kindle under those conditions but suspect electronic would be one answer.

Regarding the living room, you undoubtedly touched on it in one of the threads, but since you expect people to spend a lot of time in the dining room because of the view, and this room doesn't have it, when do you expect it to be mostly used? Is there another room where people can sit in upholstered comfort and see the sea?

Between night and less-than-sunbathing weather (how often are evenings, especially, windy, chilly, dank, the windows closed against the sea?), I'm wondering if it would work to decorate this room at night for times when the lights come on, with photos taken both with the sun dropping and also when gone? What does that wood look like washed with warm light? Or is this where you will settle in after a morning walk?

o

Hi Rosie,

Thanks!

Hmm, drum patterns; i guess from the cross bars, if you will? I am kind of anti Kindle because I like to keep my local indy store in business and make a point of buying from them.

The Living room has the ocean view, just not out the windows where I wanted to put the pendants; they are to the side, and the ocean view is all across the front, and to one side...

o

OMG OMG OMG
I'm an Interior Designer and I'm frothing at the mouth! What delicious paneling and the fact that Phoebe Howard's Sea Captain home was brought up makes me giddy. Such an inspirational space!
Anyways, I saw you mentioned maps and I saved a photo from a blog that would go terrific with the blues you want to use and the vibe I think you're going for!

This post was edited by htnspz on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 3:16

o

Hi, Htnspz,

Thank you for your kind words. Nice to see someone who likes the wood rather than tolerates it begrudgingly. I think part of my mistake was not to edit the photos so people could see it better!

Anyway, yes, maps! I've always wanted a good place to display maps of the places we have travelled. For uniformity, I am using the ones from Rand McNally atlases (all that lovely blue). Like this one:

o

Love the idea of using your map collection.

Browsing Phoebe Howard's captain's house, I fell in love with her horizontal stripe curtains. Perhaps they might be an alternative to the bold wide stripes you have been considering? They still feel nautical. And they be less inclined to overwhelm other patterns in the room.

photo 014_zpsfc4a90de.jpg

o

Francoise,

But if I am using this as my inspiration room (and I am)
 photo Screenshot2013-10-18at52918PM.png

... then I think the WT have to be bold, graphic, and a combo of navy white. DH says chevron gives him a headache, and it is uber trendy, so I am looking for an alternate fabric that does the same thing.

o

I see your point: with all the patterns in the room as bold as your inspiration photo, the curtains do require the bolder stripe to "hold their own".

If, on the other hand, your palette is more monochrome (as in the Phoebe Howard breakfast room photo I posted) and you use only a few choice bold fabrics, the drapes can play "second fiddle".

o

Just came across this room from Pottery Barn. The table has the Dutch-Indonesian influence although I have to say that I'm not crazy about the legs.

o

What about window treatments like this and use the blue and white stripe somewhere else. Upholstery maybe?

The chair arrangement is from Sarah's Summer House

This is a slightly different direction, but I wanted to show how light furniture could really brighten up the space.

o

mtn, I sort of like this fabric (not with this wall color, though). I think the strong geometric pattern would stand up nicely to the other elements in your room. It does have turquoise accents in it, though -- not sure if you plan on incorporating that color:

here it is again in another room:

I also sort of liked this fabric -- it's still chevron-esque, but not as headache-inducing as the fabric in your inspiration photo:

o

Wow, you guys are terrific. I don't remember a lot of threads that get up to 150 without a lot of controversy (we haven't had one of those in a long while!). Thank you so much for all of your ideas and encouragement.

Yesterday I ordered about 10 different wallpaper samples, all from the Quadrille line in shades of aqua or blue. I also ordered a half dozen fabric sample each from Robshaw and China Seas, and then this morning a half dozen possible drapery fabric swatches. (Nosoccermom, in the second photo you posted there is a Blue and White Batik fabric, with a chartreuse China Seas wallpaper. I already have that fabric in my breakfast room here, on a swedish bench. I may use it again)

So it's time to sit back and wait I guess!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here